What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, we batten down the hatches. Since nor'easter storms are frequent here you get really good at fastening down anything that isn't already attached!

Hunker down is a very old expression here, meaning to squat-sit on your heels. Farmers probably did it when talking to a neighbor farmer about crops sprouting up. At least that was the reason my neighbor behind me gave when he would make me hunker down to talk to him about his garden! :LOL:

"Batten down the hatches" is a sea faring expressions. You batten down the hatches (covers) to the stairs or ladders that lead to the lower decks when a storm is coming so no water can get below in the boat. They are often locked from down below and too bad if you get caught on deck. You better hope someone notices that you didn't make it down in time and you are still on deck. Ever see a movie where the sub is going to dive? You see them spinning that wheel to batten the 'hatch'. The hatches are usually located midship.

And to hunker down for New Englanders means to get down under the blankets when it is very cold and heat is at a minimum. It also means to get very low so you can't be seen by the enemy during a battle. :angel:

Our weather? Thanks for asking! It's glorious! For the first time in weeks we have all the windows wide open and I'm sitting in a relatively cool, dry breeze. *ah* I wish it would stay like this until Thanksgiving. :) Too bad we'll be closing up sometime Sunday as the hot, humid weather is headed back our way. Some are predicting 90s ALL next week, Monday thru Friday. Usually anything beyond 24 hours is conjecture and speculation, but we'll probably become Sweatville again. Might as well enjoy what we have have right now while it's here.

Yup, we batten down the hatches. Since nor'easter storms are frequent here you get really good at fastening down anything that isn't already attached!

Hunker down is a very old expression here, meaning to squat-sit on your heels. Farmers probably did it when talking to a neighbor farmer about crops sprouting up. At least that was the reason my neighbor behind me gave when he would make me hunker down to talk to him about his garden! :LOL:

I like this secondary definition I just found:

Hunker Down is a game played at hurricane parties. You watch the weather report and every time the weatherman or news guy says "hunker down" you take a shot. By the time the electricity is out, you don't even care any more.

During Hurricane Ike, I got so smashed playing Hunker Down that I missed the storm!

Kylie I just love some of your expressions. Where you 'rug up' we 'hunker down'. I think I am learning a whole new language and having fun while doing so. Thanks for the education. :angel:

I think "bundle up" is a more accurate expression. It means to put on a lot of warm clothes since it's cold.

It's 78°F right now. We had some heavy rain earlier, then it cleared up for a while, and it's supposed to rain again later this afternoon. DH was hoping to go golfing today with friends, but it's not looking promising for that.

A glorious 84° F. I was heading down to the pool, but will need to wait as my Kindle was dead :(

Our weather? Thanks for asking! It's glorious! For the first time in weeks we have all the windows wide open and I'm sitting in a relatively cool, dry breeze. *ah* I wish it would stay like this until Thanksgiving. :) Too bad we'll be closing up sometime Sunday as the hot, humid weather is headed back our way. Some are predicting 90s ALL next week, Monday thru Friday. Usually anything beyond 24 hours is conjecture and speculation, but we'll probably become Sweatville again. Might as well enjoy what we have have right now while it's here.

I had to make a run to the store. Living so close to the ocean I could smell it when the beautiful breeze came in from the east. Love the smell of the salt water from the ocean. :angel:

I like this secondary definition I just found:
Quote:
"Hunker Down is a game played at hurricane parties. You watch the weather report and every time the weatherman or news guy says "hunker down" you take a shot. By the time the electricity is out, you don't even care any more.

During Hurricane Ike, I got so smashed playing Hunker Down that I missed the storm!"

One of my coworkers in my first office had just graduated college. She and a couple friends would go to Myrtle Beach every summer during college and continued after graduating. One year they couldn't all go until later in September - and marveled at the cheaper hotel prices the found! Hmm, seems to be not only after all the kids go back to school but also when hurricanes hit along the east coast. :ohmy: Three of them decided they could ride it out...along with a good, half gallon friend. She said they had never been so scared OR so drunk in their lives!

Woke up to it raining at 6 am this morning. Cloudy & overcast most of the day here in SE S.D.

A glorious 30C again today! (Absolutely rare for Britain). And absolutely marvellous for those of us who love the sun! Your winter is nothing like ours Kylie. But how do you feel about it?

At 22h00, it's 26 C and feels like 33C. Muggy. I can hardly wait for that air conditioning to be installed on Friday.

Oh my, taxy, I thought your AC was going to be installed LAST Friday! You are so going to melt this week. Want to come stay in our AC?

We're having temps in the 90s all week - roughly low to mid 30s in C. I fully intend to hide in the house the entire week, heading out only to make my weekly grocery run. I see three kinds of ice cream on my list - and two old juice bottles full of ice in a cooler. :)

A glorious 30C again today! (Absolutely rare for Britain). And absolutely marvellous for those of us who love the sun! Your winter is nothing like ours Kylie. But how do you feel about it?

Katy, I love Winter :)

When I went to England, it was near the end of their Winter and it was so cold, but I loved it :)

Oh my, taxy, I thought your AC was going to be installed LAST Friday! You are so going to melt this week. Want to come stay in our AC?

We're having temps in the 90s all week - roughly low to mid 30s in C. I fully intend to hide in the house the entire week, heading out only to make my weekly grocery run. I see three kinds of ice cream on my list - and two old juice bottles full of ice in a cooler. :)
Thanks CG.

Apparently we were lucky to get an appointment in a week. This is their busy season, most folks are getting appointments after two weeks. I guess it helps that we both work from home, so we could take the first appointment they offered us.

Currently 29C and feels like 38C (in body temp, that's a fever). Going up to 32C and will feel like 40C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom