What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying prayers for everyone who might be impacted by Harvey.

As a side giggle, a local TV station has meteorologists named Cindy and Harvey, plus anchors Emily and Maria. Looks like they'll all have storms with their names.

Last I heard from my nephew they were still OK, still had power, have about 20 cases of bottled water in the house and more in their car and truck along with foods and charcoal and replacement gas bottles for their grills. They are in Tropical Storm warnings and if they have to, they have relatives to the north of them with a huge 2 story house they can go to if necessary.

The mayor of Rockport asked those who plan to stay to write their names and SS numbers on a forearm with permanent marker, so first responders can identify their bodies.

If this storm hits like Ike did, and it looks like it will, several bodies will never be found.

CD
What a sobering, frightful but understandable request by the city...

Ross

Last I heard from my nephew they were still OK, still had power, have about 20 cases of bottled water in the house and more in their car and truck along with foods and charcoal and replacement gas bottles for their grills. They are in Tropical Storm warnings and if they have to, they have relatives to the north of them with a huge 2 story house they can go to if necessary.
Sounds like they're pretty well set. With the heavy rainfall and risk of flash flooding for the next few days, they're probably better off staying where they are. People too often underestimate how dangerous moving water is.

Saying prayers for everyone who might be impacted by Harvey.

As a side giggle, a local TV station has meteorologists named Cindy and Harvey, plus anchors Emily and Maria. Looks like they'll all have storms with their names.

We've already had Cindy and Emily this year, and now Harvey. Three out of four ain't bad!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

I hope people are getting through Harvey well.

We have a gorgeous, sunny 80 degrees right now.

The last few days have been like the late August days I remember from my high school days (second half of the 1960s): mid-70s, nice breeze, decently dry sunny days. It could stay like this until Turkey Day. Himself was wishing he had brought a lightweight jacket (I was smart and grabbed my Indians fleece and a hooded rain jacket), but I didn't have any proper, non-sandal footwear to bring along. Methinks we'll be heading to the shoe store shortly. Momma needs a new pair of shoes! :LOL:

Rain rain rain and more rain.

Considering you are a farmer, is that bad or good at this time? Don't you have plants in the ground already?

We are expecting just sunshine all week long at a reasonable temperature of about 70ºF.

My heart go out to the residents of the Gulf of Mexico. So far I have heard of no deaths from the storm.

It is overcast and 80-degrees here in Dallas, thanks to Harvey. We are not getting any rain from it, but the cloud mass around Harvey is reaching all the way up here. So, for us, Harvey is giving us high temperatures about 15-degrees lower than they should be right now.

Houston is already getting some flooding from rain, so I'm sure my sister is coming unhinged.

CD

It is overcast and 80-degrees here in Dallas, thanks to Harvey. We are not getting any rain from it, but the cloud mass around Harvey is reaching all the way up here. So, for us, Harvey is giving us high temperatures about 15-degrees lower than they should be right now.

Houston is already getting some flooding from rain, so I'm sure my sister is coming unhinged.

CD
I understand that Houston is prone to flash flooding even with a regular storm, and they are forecasting severe flooding and a flash flood watch till Wednesday evening. I hope they're prepared to stay put for the duration.

I understand that Houston is prone to flash flooding even with a regular storm, and they are forecasting severe flooding and a flash flood watch till Wednesday evening. I hope they're prepared to stay put for the duration.

It takes a lot of rain in a short period of time to get the really bad flooding. Street flooding is common with a Texas "gully-washer" thunderstorm, but the storms that flood homes require a whole lot of rain falling faster than the creeks and bayous can move the water down to the Gulf.

My parents and sister both live near the notorious Cypress Creek. It flooded badly in April of 2016. There's all kinds of video on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Neither my parent's nor my sister's homes flooded, although my sister's came close (photo below shot from her front porch). That's why she is a nervous wreck right now.

CD

Attachments

• CypressCreek.jpg
    CypressCreek.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
That is scary. We had two or three big thunderstorms in the two weeks or so before Hurricane Isabel came ashore in North Carolina in 2003. So by the time it reached us, it was a tropical storm but the ground was so saturated, we had widespread flooding. We're a half block from a major river. I can understand why she's upset.

That is scary. We had two or three big thunderstorms in the two weeks or so before Hurricane Isabel came ashore in North Carolina in 2003. So by the time it reached us, it was a tropical storm but the ground was so saturated, we had widespread flooding. We're a half block from a major river. I can understand why she's upset.

I remember Isabel in 2003. Our neighborhood didn't flood that time, luckily, but we were without power for over a week. We stayed at the hotel in town that my Mom worked at. We had power crews staying there also, and their higher-ups arranged for everyone staying at the hotel to have meals until the hotels power came back on. Our roommate, though, stayed at the hospital in the ICU waiting room. She had COPD and was on oxygen and used a nebulizer so her PCP arranged for her to stay there so she had access to power.

Another day of overcast and cooler than normal temperatures, courtesy of Harvey. No serious rain here. The rains start about halfway between here and Houston.

My sister left her house and went to my parent's house. The streets were flooding at her house, and she would have been stuck in her house. My parent's house is on higher ground, and they can get to at least one local grocery store even if Cypress Creek floods. From their house, you can go about a half mile or more in any direction in even the worst floods.

The armchair quarterbacks are already questioning why Houston wasn't evacuated. People don't realize just how big Houston is. It is the fourth largest city in the USA. This storm also went from tropical depression, to tropical storm, to major hurricane in about two days. If you put that many people on the highways on short notice, when the flooding comes, you'll have a lot of people die in their cars.

CD

The armchair quarterbacks are already questioning why Houston wasn't evacuated. People don't realize just how big Houston is. It is the fourth largest city in the USA. This storm also went from tropical depression, to tropical storm, to major hurricane in about two days. If you put that many people on the highways on short notice, when the flooding comes, you'll have a lot of people die in their cars.
CD

CD, I have 2 words for the armchair quarterbacks who are debating the non-evacuation of Houston - Hurricane Rita. Too many people died on the highways during that storm.

CD, I have 2 words for the armchair quarterbacks who are debating the non-evacuation of Houston - Hurricane Rita. Too many people died on the highways during that storm.

I'll take it a step farther ...

Why have we become a nation where the government has to direct us to do what is best for our safety?
At a time in my life when I had very few assets and even less cash, I took my family away from a dangerous storm.. It was difficult and took a while to get us back in shape financially but, it was my responsibility to make certain my family was safe..

To blame someone is, imo, just wrong..

Ross

Another day of overcast and cooler than normal temperatures, courtesy of Harvey. No serious rain here. The rains start about halfway between here and Houston.

My sister left her house and went to my parent's house. The streets were flooding at her house, and she would have been stuck in her house. My parent's house is on higher ground, and they can get to at least one local grocery store even if Cypress Creek floods. From their house, you can go about a half mile or more in any direction in even the worst floods.

CD
I'm glad your sister was able to get to a safer place. She and your parents are probably all relieved to be together so they don't have to worry about each other.

I'll take it a step farther ...

Why have we become a nation where the government has to direct us to do what is best for our safety?
At a time in my life when I had very few assets and even less cash, I took my family away from a dangerous storm.. It was difficult and took a while to get us back in shape financially but, it was my responsibility to make certain my family was safe..

To blame someone is, imo, just wrong..

Ross
I think you're generalizing a little too much. Most of the people I know who live in disaster-prone areas know how to prepare for them. It's not just the "government" that people want to hear from. It's expert meteorologists who provide the information people need to make informed decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom