"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #9201
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
26F outside, 66F inside. And the hubby wonders why I'm wearing a blanket.
I'll swap you. The only blanket you'll want to wear here is a cold wet one

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #9202
Assistant Cook

We have a flood warning, an air quality advisory, an extreme winter weather advisory, and a winter travel warning.

We've had three weeks with lows of -10 to -20, with highs in the teens, which froze up the river and caused ice damming. Yesterday and today, the highs were in the mid thirties, which let the snow pack start to melt, and led to the flood warning.

A new front is moving through, bringing fresh snow and frigid temperatures. So things started to melt an then, froze solid again, and the snow is falling on top of nice fresh ice. Which then makes the roads slick resulting in the travel advisory.

Times like this I wonder why I moved here from Las Vegas.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #9203
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

CraZy New Orleans

The weather is as crazy as the natives here!

Yesterday I took a cab to go to Walmart, a 2 minute ride away, but we were turned back by a police officer because there was a PARADE! Huge turnout, and no way to get to Walmart as they were on the parade path. Imagine the customers trying to get OUT of Walmart.

I have no idea why there was a parade. Mardi Gras is almost a month away. People that I asked all said the same thing: "It's New Orleans."

This will be the 3rd Mardi Gras since I moved here. I guess I didn't try going to Walmart when they had the parade before. Now I know how I kept hearing high school bands from time to time.

The weather is gorgeous. The temperature will hit 70 again today. Tomorrow, it could be more or the same, or I might have to turn on the heater again.

If the wind is out of the West to South and East, I can leave my windows open when the temperatures are in the sixties.

Lovin' it!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #9204
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Snow on the ground still......we had a couple inches. Started snowing Friday just before my step daughter's wedding. I question the wisdom of getting married in January.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #9205
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigs-n-fixtures View Post
We have a flood warning, an air quality advisory, an extreme winter weather advisory, and a winter travel warning.

We've had three weeks with lows of -10 to -20, with highs in the teens, which froze up the river and caused ice damming. Yesterday and today, the highs were in the mid thirties, which let the snow pack start to melt, and led to the flood warning.

A new front is moving through, bringing fresh snow and frigid temperatures. So things started to melt an then, froze solid again, and the snow is falling on top of nice fresh ice. Which then makes the roads slick resulting in the travel advisory.

Times like this I wonder why I moved here from Las Vegas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We got a couple inches of snow yesterday. It's 27F now; it's supposed to get up to 35, so the snow will melt and re-freeze tonight.
Don't ya just hate when it warms up enough to thaw the snow and then freezes again and turns it all to slippery ice.

-16C here today with an expected high of -12C. Tuesday it's supposed to go up to 8C with freezing rain! Freezing rain and a high of 0C on Wednesday. Oh, that's going to be a mess. Far too much snow to melt it all in that time. Back to seasonal highs of -10C for Friday.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #9206
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
26F outside, 66F inside. And the hubby wonders why I'm wearing a blanket.
You would love my apartment. Since I don't have to pay for my heat, I have the thermostat pushed up and it is now 79F. in here. I am on two blood thinners and get cold very easily. And I have my shawl on.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #9207
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

You would love my apartment. Since I don't have to pay for my heat, I have the thermostat pushed up and it is now 79F. in here. I am on two blood thinners and get cold very easily. And I have my shawl on.
79 is a bit too warm for me. I'd be running around in shorts and a light-weight t-shirt and sipping ice water. A solid 70-72 is pretty much perfect for me, but I'm generally comfortable at 68 to 74. Hmmm, such a narrow temperature range.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #9208
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A nice steady freezing rain. Should be a mess tonight.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #9209
Master Chef

29 degrees with freezing rain.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #9210
Executive Chef

Yeesh, be careful if you guys have to go out in that stuff. Freezing rain has got to be some of the most hazzardous weather to drive in, especially if there is a decent wind.