What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Send it west when you are finished with it!

lol!

i'm like a little kid waiting for the blizzard to hit us. we're expecting a foot or more.

like a good scout, i'm prepared. got the shovels out, am picking up sand and pet safe ice melt in the morning, and the sleds are at the ready by the back door for saturday and sunday. branches, buttons, carrots, and a scarf are also set to go. anyone have a magical tophat that i can borrow?

c'mon snow!!!! there's angels awaitin'..

a foot and a half of snow wouldn't make me shake in my boots, but I would be sure I had my boots handy. Wish we could get that around here. 28°F and no snow to speak of...

Less than 45 cm snow forecast for my area and people are shaking in their boots!
45 cm is a respectable amount of snow. We're only expecting a total of 10 cm from the same storm.

It's currently -17C (1F) and we have a weather alert, "Strong northeast winds combined with snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow this afternoon."

I guess I better go pick up wine and milk soon.

Getting Ready For The Storm

Our mayor has already declared a state of emergency. He got a lot of flack during the last storm. A lot of folks went for days without electricity. People have been told to stay off the streets unless it is an emergency. All streets are to be cleared of autos. Not may of our residnets have autos, but there is enough parking in both front of the building as well as the back. So they shouldn't have a problem. I am all set for food. All our wiring is underground, so we should be holding on with electricity, heat, etc. I have never had a problem with my cell phone. But the atmosphere is raising heck and I keep breaking up. I just hope it is working if I need to make a 911 call. If not, I have my "Help, I have fallen and I can't get up" piece of equipement as a backup. I should get a call from the mayor's office at the hight of the storm checking on me to make sure I am all right. Something his Office of Elderly Affairs does everytime there is an emergency.

I normally take these storms in stride and just poo poo the weather reports. But I am older now. More than ever I depend on the services for the elderly. Can they meet my needs during a storm? I hope I never have to find out.

Will stay in touch and let you know how we are fairing. :angel:

you gotta watch out for those benign and child-friendly sounding storms--like sandy and nemo. addie, we wish you a safe, cozy shelter with power and internet access, from which to report to us on your snow and weather conditions.:)

45 cm is a respectable amount of snow. We're only expecting a total of 10 cm from the same storm.

It's currently -17C (1F) and we have a weather alert, "Strong northeast winds combined with snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow this afternoon."

Perhaps in the Laurentides; that's one of the reasons why I prefer the Dolomiti.

TL--we're experiencing much the same 2 hours west of Montreal. I had a couple of errands to run...haven't decided if I want to brave the cold and snow. It's coming down harder now than it was earlier.

45 cm is about 18 inches of snow. If you have to shovel it, it is more than a respectable amount of snow, it is a pain in the butt. The older I get, the more I dislike snow. Even with a snow blower, one still has to deal with the dump at the end of the driveway compliments of the snowplow. And, thanks to road work done last summer, that now drifts 4-5 feet into the driveway...it didn't used to do that.

TL--we're experiencing much the same 2 hours west of Montreal. I had a couple of errands to run...haven't decided if I want to brave the cold and snow. It's coming down harder now than it was earlier.
It was already snowing and I didn't get out there soon enough. I'm staying in the house. We should have enough milk until tomorrow or Sunday. Wine might run out, but there's hard likker.

First they were predicting 1-1.5 ft of snow. Then 2 ft. Then 3 ft. Now they are predicting 35+ inches up to 40 inches. The govenor has declared a state of emergency in effect at 4 p.m. The Executive Order given is that all vehicles are to be off the road except emergency vehicles and needed personnel. Such as nurses, doctors, etc. And you must show Identification and Authorization. People have taken heed of the order and the roads are empty. A $500 fine and/or one year in jail.

Logan Airport is EMPTY. All flights have been cancelled until after the storm ends on Saturday. No flights are being allowed to land.

I went down to check my mail. I ran into a management maintenance man and asked him how was he going to get home. He is staying on the property to give help to anyone who may need it and to make sure access remains for any emeregency vehicles. (Snowblowing the driveway around the clock) For that I am grateful. It is a constant worry should I have a heart attack. And not just me. We have a few residents in the 90's. One is very frail and sick.

The wind has shifted and is coming in from the North. Everything is blowing sidways. My big winidow is on the north side of the building, and this is the first time I have ever heard it rattle. It is two stories high. I am not going in that room at all. Too scary. That is one BIG, BIG plate glass window. I am wondering if maybe I should get dressed and stay dressed just in case that window gets blown in. I don't usually get rattled by storms, but this one seems different. I have never heard of 35+ inches of snow being predicted before. And we have had more than one blizzard in my lifetime.

Oh, one more thing. Welcome home Andy! :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom