What people do for work and play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Line cook by profession, and apparently student is something that qualifies as "work" too. I do both of them full-time, though this fall is my last semester. I'll be graduating with my BS in Business Informatics and a minor in Entrepreneurship.

So around December/January I'll start job hunting back home, in the Chicago area. Gotta say, I won't be sad when I leave Bloomington. There's some nice things about it I suppose, but at the end of the day, it's a college town, and it always will be. Anyways, I'll probably end up in clinical informatics; I'm planning on getting EPIC certified and I'll probably go to work for University of Chicago Hospital. They're still in the beginning stages of a rebuild of their entire Hospital's IT infrastructure and also their OS, everything really from the ground up. It's supposed to be a 10 year project or so, so I figure it will keep me busy for awhile.

If I don't end up at UofC, I'll probably do consulting, blech! I'll be getting married next August, and would rather not spend most of my week away from home on business, but consulting will definitely pay the bills, enough so that I could probably quit after 5 or 6 years and open a restaurant of my own in Chicago. If that dream is ever realized, you'll all be invited, and you'll all be VIPs!

A friend of mine works as a security professional and he war drives to get new business. Basically drives by, harvests sensitive information, walks through the front door and says "look, it took me less than 10 minutes to steal your customer information. I will fix it for you". While not particularly legal, businesses dont tend to take him to court simply because that would expose them to negative publicity. You would be absolutely amazed at how easy it is for someone with 100 dollars worth of equipment and a little bit of knowledge to steal credit card numbers, for example. He compares what he does to basically listening to cashiers shout out personal identity information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc) across the neighborhood with a megaphone.

I did this for a school project. Part of my degree is to help a local business with IT problems, like help them fix a broken or outdated system, over the course of a year. While this wasn't my project, a friend of mine did this, and for his project designed his own small side-business and did this to find new clients. Some get really upset about it, but I think that's just because they had this illusion of being safe, and now the person standing in front of them has shattered it, and is offering to fix it all for cash. Most folks were really surprised though, that 2 guys with a car and a laptop could obtain the sorts of information we did, and were very much interested in securing their wireless networks.

You drive around in your Miata dressed like that? :LOL:

Nah. Here's my driving armor.

230440657_b1305d07cd.jpg

We were able to retire early. For fun: read, cook, eat, walk, do beadwork, a LOT of socializing, take road trips, a little community service. It sounds like a quiet life, but if you were here during the next four months you wouldn't say so!

I like to think of it as an Adventure! lol:LOL:
LOL yeah you could say that. man i miss my horse something fierce. she died when i was young from some cancer stuff. my mom said it was the worst day of her life ever. she still cries and its been 10 years. Well guys i might not be able to reply for a while, i have a date tonight with a 2 year old. lol its my neighbors daughter and they are out of town and the she wants me to watch a movie with her tonight. she has two other siblings so ill be watching it with them. Maybe will watch cars and have pop corn. so i wont be home atall tonight to reply....

lt, i'm a broadcast engineer for cbs.

i help install, maintain and upgrade all of the technical doohickeys that make a television network run. from the "puttin' on a show" part, to the beaming it into your televisions part.
most people in the engineering world specialize in one thing, but we're sort of general engineers. i touch on a lot of fields, from networking and i.t., to data storage, video streaming, remote routed controls, sat comm., rf, commercial/sports/news production, to graphics and dvfx, etc., etc..

the best way i can describe it is i'm like scotty on the enterprise. the ship has been built, but i have to keep working on it to keep 'er flying.

mostly, it's just diverting power from the deflector array and life support. :)

Last edited:
CBS eh, thats cool. My uncle is a engineer for radio. he builds stations and antennas for a large network..

yup, that kind of stuff.

but with pictures. ;)

edited to add: i don't do anything for fun anymore. just work.:(

Last edited:
Katie, I want your job. Four year elementary teacher here taking a 9 month break and loving every minute of it.

I have four jobs:
A pre school teacher for chdn 3 - 5yrs old
Teach cooking to secondary school students aged 10 - 14 yrs (voluntary)
Adminster my wifes company (she is an IT contractor and would understand what K was talking about.
Go around pushing estate agents leaflets through letterboxes.

For fun I read, cook, garden and enjoy my family.

Ray

I'm semi-retired. My first career was writing/directing/producing films for a Navy research and development laboratory. It was a neat job in which I got to travel all over the country, ride ships at sea, and experience the power of a sixteen inch naval gun firing.

Now along with Katie E I run Evergreeen, a decorating/antiques/furniture restoration store. The furniture part is my end of the business. Antiques restoration is the biggest part of my work.

Julie helps me in the shop.

I write a syndicated column entitled "Guy Stuff by Buck" in which I explore issues of vital interest such as which sock goes on which foot and what it's like inside an anthill. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you a column or two.

For recreation I spend my time showering Katie with lavish gifts, making sure her every desire is satisfied and cleaning out the litter box (we have eight indoor cats at home).

Line cook by profession, and apparently student is something that qualifies as "work" too. I do both of them full-time, though this fall is my last semester. I'll be graduating with my BS in Business Informatics and a minor in Entrepreneurship.

So around December/January I'll start job hunting back home, in the Chicago area. Gotta say, I won't be sad when I leave Bloomington. There's some nice things about it I suppose, but at the end of the day, it's a college town, and it always will be. Anyways, I'll probably end up in clinical informatics; I'm planning on getting EPIC certified and I'll probably go to work for University of Chicago Hospital. They're still in the beginning stages of a rebuild of their entire Hospital's IT infrastructure and also their OS, everything really from the ground up. It's supposed to be a 10 year project or so, so I figure it will keep me busy for awhile.

If I don't end up at UofC, I'll probably do consulting, blech! I'll be getting married next August, and would rather not spend most of my week away from home on business, but consulting will definitely pay the bills, enough so that I could probably quit after 5 or 6 years and open a restaurant of my own in Chicago. If that dream is ever realized, you'll all be invited, and you'll all be VIPs!

Why don't you just cook?

Hi There,

Funny that you should ask!

I've spent the past 20 years working as an actuary. An actuary is a number cruncher who consults on employee benefits, insurance, that kind of stuff. It's a taxing and demanding job, to be honest.

Well, two weeks ago, things got really bad and I walked. No one even said goodbye. 20 years in the same place and no goodbye.

Anyway, I'm spending time now catching up on lfe and all the things I haven't had time to do for the last 20 years because all I did was work. I'm taking walks in the morning, making dinner, reading, trying to not feel stupid for spending the last 20 years believing that a couple of people were my dear friends and being so very wrong.

Recovering...

-Mary

I want Katie's job too! Somehow I suspect that a lot of us are in the same boat.

Anyhoo, I have my own cooking biz. Love to plan meals and parties for other people. I also love to garden, decorate my home, read my cookbooks, anything outdoorsy. Hey, I'm just getting started hear . . .

Back
Top Bottom