"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What time does your kitchen close?

A time-honoured 'marianne-ism' (can you guess that is my Mom's name?!) was '"the kitchen is closed". She usually said this around 8pm or so, when one of the children or my dad would start rummaging around in there, looking for a snack. If it required a plate, a fork or spoon, a glass, (get the idea?) we couldn't have it. If you could pick it up and run with it, like a cookie or a piece of fruit, you stood a good chance of making a clean break.
But I ask you, what 10 year old would opt for an apple when there were chocolate enteman's donuts on the counter?

I digress...

Do you keep a similar rule? Were you subjected to a similar rule? If so, what time was it?

As a side note, with the way many families have an evening meal, it seems the kitchen never can close.

By the way, once, I managed to slip in real quietlike and pilfer a slice of pumpkin pie. My younger sister was disturbed that I was about to pull it off. She hid in the dining room as I made my way to the family room with my ill-gotten pie and jumped out to scare me. I'll never forget how many times the pie flipped before it finally hit the dining room carpet. It's impossible to wash pumpkin pie out of carpet silently. I kept thinking, "why, mom, what big ears you have"!!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Head Chef

VeraBlue - when I was growing up my parents said that if I wanted a late night snack I could have one as long as I did the dishes.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

We don't eat until 8:00 or 9:00, and by then we're ready to crash.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Head Chef

My mom was the principal cook in the family, dad would help but he worked and mom ran the kitchen.

When dinner was done, she was generally finished cooking. Yes, if one of us came home late from school/work, etc. (our family had a varied age group) she would make sure that person was fed.

But after that we were free to forage, and when we got old enough to stand up to the stove we were free to cook whatever we could find.

Main meal on Sunday was family dinner always at 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and then, after that, we were generally on our own to forage and/or cook, which all of us could do (we were particularly good at the foraging aspect).

That was fine with us, we were happy to fend for ourselves, and it gave mom a chance to rest a bit.

It also made us all independent. How my folks pulled that one off so simply and gently I am still amazed at.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

We never got anything after dinner's dessert unless everyone else had a chance, too. My Mom is the great "includer," which continues to this day. It makes just taking her out for brunch/lunch/dinner difficult, because she feels the entire clan ought to have a chance to come, too. My kitchen, however, seems never to close . . .
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My kitchen closes right after dinner, about 7:00 pm and we are snoring by 8:30. So there is no chance to get hungry for a snack
Old 10-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Mines always open. If you're hungry.. I'll feed you.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My mother always did the cooking, and if someone wanted to eat after hours, they were free to do so. My kitchen is never close, but if one wants to make a snack or cook, they are to clean their own mess. I always say "the mess you make, is the mess you clean".
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We had no rules growing up and I had no rules with my son. As a matter of fact - we made sushi rolls one night at 10:00!!!! It was fun and we had a pretty good idea that no one else in our city was making sushi as a snack right then! It was the best sushi we ever had - - - - sneaky has a way of making things taste better............except for VeraBlue's pumpkin pie - well, if she would have gotten to eat it!! So, Vera - did you ever get your sister back??? lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
We had no rules growing up and I had no rules with my son. As a matter of fact - we made sushi rolls one night at 10:00!!!! It was fun and we had a pretty good idea that no one else in our city was making sushi as a snack right then! It was the best sushi we ever had - - - - sneaky has a way of making things taste better............except for VeraBlue's pumpkin pie - well, if she would have gotten to eat it!! So, Vera - did you ever get your sister back??? lol
My sister and I have been getting each other back all our lives. I once brought her glass of grape soda....which was actually club soda with two tablespoons of tobassco and food colouring.

I'm convinced my mother closed the kitchen because she was convinced no one could clean it as well as she could. To this day, the woman still has serious 'control' issues

Sushi at 10pm is ambitious, indeed. Good for you. Several years ago, I returned from a club in NYC with about 5-6 friends. It was close to 5am, the sun was just beginning to come up. I brought the pancake grill outside into the yard and started making french toast!