What's been happening in my life (Beth's Story)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a 42" or larger due the size of the yard but buy a 38" to go through the back yard gates...I've thought about enlarging one of the gates for that purpose...but just haven't done it....
The rest of the place (open area) I use a 6' bush hog and tractor to keep it in check!

The little wagon is neat...we constantly have to pick up sticks under oak/pecan trees...Sometimes I load them in the truck, but mostly just pile them up in a burn pile....Hoping the little wagon will save some steps...Mostly I bought it to transport one of my generators to the house, (from the shop) during long power outages...Can you say Katrina!! The truck and one of my flatbed trailers is just over kill...considering they wreak havoc on the yard when it's wet and muddy...Which it invariably is during such periods of stormy weather...The little wagon is easy to hook up and the wide tires on the mower and wagon are "kinder and gentler" to the yard...Not to say we have such a fancy yard....The wagon has a dump feature too...Check out Home Depot and such places as well as JD dealers for wagons....They make them in poly (plastic) material (no rust) but they have a sloped rear design that just did not suit my main purpose (generator transport) for buying one.....

Will check the scrap metal prices soon!

I don't know how many times I've thought about buying a golf cart to run around on!!!

Beth, I can't relate to your "new ride" conversation with Uncle Bob as our yard is about 8 x 8 ft and DH uses a weed eater to mow it!

But I want to say again that you and Rich have been an incredible inspiration for me during my recent 3 month health battle. Mine was shorter and fixable but I had to rely so much on other people while you two have done most of it together. Your story and friendship are something I cherish. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers!

Beth, I'm sorry to just now be saying anything. I've been away too long and just now seeing this. I'm sorry that you two are going through this. My prayers are with you both!!

The house is beautiful!

LOL Laurie, I can't get along without my weedeater...the least I need it for is to carve out the mailbox from the weeds so the mail lady can get to it...my mailbox is not on my property and is in an area that does not get mowed otherwise.

Oh Uncle Bob, I loooooooved my golf cart...would still have it today if it had been an electric one...I could get seven bales of hay on that sucker....it started every time in an instant...and could that thing CLIMB. I would get into trouble at times when riding my lawn mower because I would think it could go like the golf cart:LOL:. And dh wants to trade in our 5' bush hog for a 6' one for me..I plan to mow our 4 acre front hay field, but hire some one to use our equipment to do the back hayfields.

Did you say the wagon has a DUMP feature?!:w00t2::wub:

Yeah, the electric carts are nicer IMO...Less noise...Just park them, plug then up, and they stay ready to go! ~~ I've looked at used ones in the past..but have shied away...nervous about the batteries on an old used one..."They" say if you ever have to replace them --- Get your pocket book out!!!!

You wouldn't think one foot would make a difference, but over the long haul it adds up...I had a 5' bush hog once, and up graded to a 6' ...Lots better...faster etc....Even thought about going up to an 8' but that would put it outside the rear tires..Out in the open that would be ok, but I'm always maneuvering around trees etc..So I stayed with the 6' which comes just inside the rear tires...no danger of catching a corner on a tree etc.

I saw the hay bailer in one of your pictures, and was wondering what you were going to do with it.. I think hiring someone to cut and bail, with your equipment, and putting it in the barn is the wisest course of action...As you know that is long, hard, hot work! ~~ My first job as a kid was hauling hay...Daylight to dark for $3 a day, 6 days a week...That's per day...not per hour!! $18 a week!!...I thought I was really making the money!!!:LOL:

If you are interested in a "wagon" check out the JD ones...Like I said they are poly/plastic whatever..want rust...well built...sloped rear end to make dumping easy.
They make 3 sizes I think...7..10...and 14 cubit feet. Be sure to measure the outside width ..,.outside tire to outside tire to make sure you want have any "going through the gate" issues....

Grits and eggs are calling............:ermm:

Take care....Stay in Touch!

Even though dh had the strength and stamina to ride his motorcycle to TN and back, he now admits that he can not take any long trips related to his inability to eat away from home. Not that eating at home is foolproof...He never knows when the hiccups will strike, but they start up every time he is away from home. He has said he is ready to try the medicine, Thorazine, that may stop the hiccups, but he can not ride the motorcycle while taking that medication. To me, Thorazine is a scary medication and I am afraid he remembers me talking about it back when I worked at the state mental hospital long ago. But the truth is he will not live long enough to suffer from its most notorious side effects. He actually has not tried to take it yet, he has only said he is ready to.

Yesterday was a difficult day for dh. The local farm implement dealer came to haul away most of our farm equipment, and to deliver the 6 foot bush hog. Uncle Bob, we don't need the hay any more, since we sold the goat herd last fall. And finding anyone to help us get in our hay was a perennial problem because the few people who do hay in our area, were occupied with getting in their own hay. I had no emotional attachment to that equipment, but dh did. He felt about it like I did about the goats; we are better off with them gone, but it was so sad to see them go. Even though we have made great progress in downsizing things and responsibilites, there is still a lot of stuff here. We haven't even touched his carpentry tools and still have one car and two trucks. He is not going to sell his motorcycle. He has made plans for a friend to sell it after he dies.

We are going to plant the onion seedlings in the garden this week. We are still about 6 weeks from our last frost date so will not put out any other plants in the garden for a few weeks. It is time to start my tomatoes and basil. We had a freeze last night and am anxious to find out if our apple tree blossoms survived. We planted spinach a few days ago so that should be germinating soon.

Well, we are off for a little walk to see if we can tell if the various apple tree blossoms are okay. It was looking like a good year for apples, but Mother Nature likes to play tricks.

Beth you both are in my thioughts and prayers. Take care and know you are loved.
cj

beth you are the bravest woman i have ever known. and your husband is the bravest man. it makes me cry when i think about this turn in your lives. i don't know any people that have handled it better. bless you both.

beth you are the bravest woman i have ever known. and your husband is the bravest man. it makes me cry when i think about this turn in your lives. i don't know any people that have handled it better. bless you both.

As I was reading the above post I was thinking the exact same thing. Beth, the best to bouth of you.

Hey Miss Beth...Glad to know DH made the round trip OK, and got back safely!! I know he enjoyed the trip and spending quality time with his family!

I understand downsizing...Boy do I!! I just came in from running through the garden again with the tractor...I'm thinking...Why do I need all of this? We need peas (pink-eyes) and corn Pencil Cob) for the freezer, but I'm so tired of fighting coons in the corn, and deer in everything!! I don't mind sharing you understand, but these devils don't wanna share...they want it all!!:LOL: ~~~ I've thought about fencing, but by the time I go to the trouble and expense, I'm not sure I'd ever get my money back..Plus I don't know how many more years of big gardening I've got in me....Raised beds are looking more and more attractive ~~ By the time I buy seed, fertilizer, diesel fuel, wear and tear on the tractor, plus the time to hook up planters, plant, then come back to cultivate two or three times..then pick and shell...Ahmmm I'm thinking a few bushels of peas (shelled) from the Farmers Market is sounding better and better.;)

Gotta buy a new bush hog too! The one I've got is just two notches above scrap iron...I think it's one Noah through off the Ark when he was passing through here...
Musta been a big storm (Hurricane) and he was taking in water...Had to lighten the load so over the side it went!!:LOL:

We are well past the last frost...Time to plant...It want be much...Tomatoes, squash, Cukes and Okra etc. My friends the White Tail Deer love...love okra!! Think I'm gonna plant one long 175' row....If I can cut it three times before they take over I'll be set for Gumbo, and Okra and Tomatoes for another year....

So how did the apple blossoms do... Did they weather the frost?? Hope so....

Off to do some painting....

Take Care and Stay in Touch!

What Babe said.

I think anyone who goes through a protracted illness with the love of their life has a special place ascribed in heaven when they get there. Hugs to you both.

I must say I agree with Babe, Charlie and ChefJune. Beth, I have told you before here and privately that you and your DH are true inspirations and that I was able to put my own problems in perspective with your challenges - mine are almost insignificant in comparison but you have both handled it with grace and strength.

Our cherry tree and Japanese plum have taken a beating. The blossoms were beautiful but too early and now the trees are having a hard time with their foliage. Like Uncle Bob, I am curious about your apple blossoms, did they make it?

You are both in my thoughts and prayers always. I look forward to the next time you can share.

A few of us must face uncertianty every day, life is a hard task master. Not many of us live with the grace and beauty you show us each day. For me you have helped me accept what life has dealt me and to live it with grace and as much strength that I can muster. I give thanks for knowing you.
cj

Kades, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Between you and Babetoo, my thoughts have been spoken perfectly!

Kades, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Between you and Babetoo, my thoughts have been spoken perfectly!
Thanks Laurie,
I know you and I know you live as much for helping others as for your self. I feel fortunate to be your friend. There is a specialness about you I wish more had .
Thank you Laurie, for letting me be your friend.
cj

well, you all have certainly lifted my spirits!

some of my core beliefs also help me, that things happen for a reason, and that things happen as they should

one of the serendipitous events that has also helped both of us was the introduction to the Harry Potter books. Dh and I have both read all seven books since Christmas. I have found inspiration from how Lilly and Harry Potter, Albus Dumbledore and even Severus Scape faced death so bravely and courageously. I found many parallels in the lives of the charcters of those books and our lives. Death is featured many times and I found comfort in reading how they looked at death and were not afraid of it.

Today dh is setting up the scaffolding to begin spray painting the exterior of the house. He is getting discouraged about his diminishing energy level. If he looks tired after a meal/snack, I encourage him to rest a bit. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. We have spent a lot of time getting the mowers started and writing a list of the yearly maintenance for the Massey-Ferguson tractor. I bush hogged for the first time with my "new" bush hog. The spinach has germinated!!!! and we will set out the broccoli and cabbage plants today.

Dh has admitted that he can not ride his motorcycle to the state of Washington this summer. But he is planning a trip again, with his middle brother. This will be the third summer they have taken a trip together. The first trip was through West Virginia, the second was around New England and they are talking about upstate New York for this summers' trip.

I think the apple blossoms all made it through the freeze. No freezes are expected in the near future so I think the applelets are safe now. I don't think the baby apples can be harmed by freezes, only the blossoms were susceptable to damage.

a photo of dh sailing last week and one taken a few years ago of his motorcycle

Attachments

• Sailing3.jpg
    Sailing3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF0055.jpg
    DSCF0055.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 175
It has been an intense past few weeks, both physically and emotionally. Dh has started on the project of painting the exterior of the house. He had planned to take one week per side, but with the help of friends, it has proceeded much quicker than that.

I had a long talk with one of the friends. He plans to ask dh if he can be present at his death. This conversation has opened up all kinds of ideas of how to handle a service. Dh wants to leave his body to science. So I think we can do any type of service we want, since his body will be taken directly to a university.

He is getting discouraged about his lack of energy and losing weight again. Pepto Bismol is his new friend. He chugs it right out of the bottle.

A few days ago when I was out hunting mushrooms, I could hear the water flowing out the overflow on our old water system that we no longer use. It is still hooked up at the barn so I have been running a hose out to the garden. It has been very dry here and the baby onion plants were starting to die. When we were using this water for household use, there simply was not enough for both us and the garden. It is pretty neat to be able to water the garden now.

some photos of the house painting..

Attachments

• DSCN1188.jpg
    DSCN1188.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN1177.jpg
    DSCN1177.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 168
mollyannes' posting of the very funny Tom Rush video, made me think of, not sure why:blink:, this song that has once again come into my life... I have only recently started to listen to music again, was really enjoying silence..this is by the Traveling Wilburys', a super group that came together for a short time, has George Harrison, Bob Dylan and others...they were so good that they have Roy Orbison doing BACKUP :ohmy:vocals on this cut...hope this link works..this song has provided comfort to me an other occassions in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA

hmmm may not work, the song is entitled "The End of the Line" if you want to google it

mollyannes' posting of the very funny Tom Rush video, made me think of, not sure why:blink:, this song that has once again come into my life... I have only recently started to listen to music again, was really enjoying silence..this is by the Traveling Wilburys', a super group that came together for a short time, has George Harrison, Bob Dylan and others...they were so good that they have Roy Orbison doing BACKUP :ohmy:vocals on this cut...hope this link works..this song has provided comfort to me an other occassions in my life.

YouTube - Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line

hmmm may not work, the song is entitled "The End of the Line" if you want to google it
googled, perfect.Just lost my b-i-l he loved this song,
cj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom