"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Where do you put it all?

My freezer is sooooo full I decided to take out the large container of split peas soup. This will be lunch.

I really have to make more room in the freezer, so I can cook up some new dishes and have room for the leftovers.

My casserole dish of lasagna is full to the top, so instead of my usual 4 servings, I have at least 6. 2 down and 4 to go. I'll probably take 3 servings and put into zip bags separately so I can stash them in various nooks and crannies. The container of split pea soup will make some room.

I have a 5' tall refrigerator, not huge, but fine for me.
I found a couple of shelves at WalMart that fit on either side of the freezer and make it possible to fit things in the top half of the freezer rather than just stacking things to the top and then trying to get out something in the middle.

I'll probably go back and get one more shelf for the middle, if I can fit it crossways so I have access to all.

At least when it gets full like this I can take a vacation from cooking while I get more room in the freezer. I kind of have to push myself to do it because I enjoy cooking, but unless I do, I'll have to buy a small freezer just to catch the overflow!

I was wondering how others manage their perishable food storage, especially those cooking for one or two.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We have an upright freezer in the basement for long-term storage. It gets extra meats purchased on sale, portioned containers of large batch foods (soup, tomato sauce, other dishes), SO's baking items, stock, etc. I wouldn't be able to manage with just the freezer on the fridge.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a small chest freezer, that happens to be full. I seem to remember that if you want to cook something frozen, you need to take it out to thaw first...:) I'm good about freezing, bad about thawing.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

We just got rid of our chest freezer. One of the smartest things we've done.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I bought my freezer when it was just me, but I still wanted a good sized one. I have a 22 cu. ft. upright freezer. I like to shop for deals on meat and other things, and the freezer makes it possible. I know that chest freezers are more economical, but I always hated that everything I ever wanted to get out of one seemed to be hiding in the bottom under everything else. An elderly 4'11" friend of mine has a huge chest freezer and broke her ribs defrosting and cleaning it!

Our freezer has 2 large baskets at the bottom. I keep meat in the bottom one and frozen vegetables in the top one. It is very humid here and I don't have much cupboard space, so I keep my flour and grains in the freezer as well. I stock up on butter when it is on sale and keep the extra in the freezer. I keep the butter and boxed things like Rice-a-Roni in the door. I also keep emergency candles and cold packs in the freezer door.

The freezer has been especially handy this week. I bought a lot of pumpkins at 99 cents each and have been cooking them and freezing the mashed pumpkin. I have only done 3 of the 8 pumpkins so far and already have 34 cups of pumpkin in the freezer (in quart-size freezer bags). I made 15 quarts of soup last night and froze most of it for cold weather days ahead. My freezer is full, which is good since a full freezer is more energy efficient, but if I need more space I can remove the rice or flour and put them back later.

I use the refrigerator freezer for ice trays and things I use a lot, so that I don't have to open the big one more than necessary.

Barbara
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a small chest freezer, that happens to be full. I seem to remember that if you want to cook something frozen, you need to take it out to thaw first...:) I'm good about freezing, bad about thawing.
We're in the same boat! I have found though that there are some things that can be cooked from frozen. Chicken breasts can go in the oven frozen but need almost twice as long cooking time. I've done frozen chuck roasts as well in the oven. We have an upright freezer in the garage. DH wanted to get a chest freezer but I nixed that quickly. Knowing it will be in the garage, I knew it would always have stuff sitting on it so that I would never be able to get into it! Flat surfaces tend to accumulate things in my house!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
...I knew it would always have stuff sitting on it so that I would never be able to get into it! Flat surfaces tend to accumulate things in my house!
Truer words have never been spoken. I'm as guilty as the next guy.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
...Flat surfaces tend to accumulate things in my house!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Truer words have never been spoken. I'm as guilty as the next guy.
James and I are both guilty of that.

Barbara
Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy

We have a large chest freezer in the garage. It's powered off. Living on the Gulf Coast, I've found it counter productive to keep it stocked and running. During the summer it runs all the time and eat lots of electricity. When the hurricane du-jour comes along its contents are inevitably lost due to extended power outage. We lost power for 2 weeks during Ike.

We only keep minimal frozen foods on hand. Just what fits in the fridges freezer. We can usually keep this running via generator during hurricanes. The result is that we have less waste because foods don't accumulate over time, less waste to freezer burn, and we are better managers of our freezer space.

BTW, guilty as charged...the freezer in the garage has stuff all over it. Couldn't open if I wanted to.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Do flat spaces also include the floor? The only reason the freezer has not accumulated lots of junk is because it's the only place for the cats to eat.