Who is the primary cook in your household?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the primary cook in your household?

• I do it all - my partner can basically reheat

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I do most of it, but my partner does help

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • We pretty much split the load 50/50

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • My partner does the big stuff, but I help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My partner does everything - lucky, lucky me

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I live alone and don't have to please anyone but myself

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
I was hard pressed here, I gotta say CG,
there's no "I do it all, SO doesn't do diddly-squat" :LOL:

I do the majority of everything that involves
the two of us eating at home.
Shopping
Prepping
Cooking
Clean up
But y'know, I really enjoy it now that I'm retired.

DH use to do all of the dishes when we first got married,
now he empties out the clean dishes from the dishwasher
and puts everything away. I HATE doing that part,
so, it works out.

I just voted on "I live alone...." I mostly cook for myself, with the exception of major holiday dinners.

I do it all, the wife says the kitchens for walking through to the lounge,lol. I've done it for about 30 years.

Russ

I do most of the cooking, even though I don't do a lot of it these days. DH helps a bit. He also does some of the cooking. When he does, I chop any onions that need chopping, because it doesn't bother me and it really helps him out. There are a few dishes that he usually or always makes. He does the lasagna and the tacos as well as any chilli. Sometimes he makes some Danish dishes that he really likes. He's more willing to cook the frozen, stuffed pasta than me. If there is a recipe that we haven't made before, 99% chance that I'm the one doing the cooking.

You forgot the option of "I do all the cooking, since my useless dog can't cook."

When I was married, we both cooked, but I was the better cook, and she could bake like a pro.

I was a better cook, because she was too obsessed with recipes and measurements, which is important in baking, but ruins cooking (IMO).

She was freaked out the first time she saw me cook. But, she finally "got it." Cooking is mostly art, and baking is mostly science. We became a pretty good team in the kitchen.

CD

cd, I didn't think of it since we don't have a dog. :LOL:

I was hard pressed here, I gotta say CG,
there's no "I do it all, SO doesn't do diddly-squat" :LOL:...
I was trying to be polite! My first, thought, though, was to phrase it "...my partner doesn't do "chit". :whistling:

Himself does nothing. Not prep, not cook, not clean up - nothing. Boy, does he lead a charmed life. :D Most of the time I'm just fine with it. I'm particular about how to use my tools - he'd put the cast iron in the dishwasher. I'm picky about my produce - if he shopped, he'd bring home bruised veggies and unripe fruit. And his timing for most everything else is bad, so we'd be eating our meat-potato-veggies in courses! :LOL:

Still, we love our guys, right K-Girl? RIGHT?

cd, I didn't think of it since we don't have a dog. :LOL:

I was trying to be polite! My first, thought, though, was to phrase it "...my partner doesn't do "chit". :whistling:

Himself does nothing. Not prep, not cook, not clean up - nothing. Boy, does he lead a charmed life. :D Most of the time I'm just fine with it. I'm particular about how to use my tools - he'd put the cast iron in the dishwasher. I'm picky about my produce - if he shopped, he'd bring home bruised veggies and unripe fruit. And his timing for most everything else is bad, so we'd be eating our meat-potato-veggies in courses! :LOL:

Still, we love our guys, right K-Girl? RIGHT?
Hah! Mark will load the dishwasher, but he’s under strict orders not to start it until I’ve checked it out and removed my knives and anything plastic that might warp. I also like to wash my measuring spoons and cups by hand. Mark just doesn’t seem to get that although knives are made of metal, the dishwasher can damage them!

...Sad to say, there are more days when DH does everything, yes, lucky me, but there are some days when I can help with the cleaning up. I really do miss the days when I did all the cooking and cleaning. It is so hard to have to give up ones kitchen, right ladies people?
There, cookie, I fixed it for ya. ;)

I suppose it depends on the reason one gives up their kitchen. If Himself walked in one day and said "I'll do all the cooking so you can 1) read, 2) do artwork, 3) sort through things to get rid of" I'd probably hide the cast iron and let him cook - for a while. Then I'd kick him out. If it was for a medical reason on my part, I'd be sad. My SIL came down with a muscular disease while they still lived in FL. She could do nothing - even getting out of a chair was above her strength level. She couldn't even shower - thankfully, they had a huge shower that could accommodate a molded plastic chair. She would sit while her dear DH shampooed and showered her. He had to assume all the cooking chores, but that wasn't a challenge. When they first got married he was still in college and had been cooking for himself for a few years. He continued to cook while she was the breadwinner. Anyway, my SIL was still working with medical people to get herself back to 100% functional when they moved up here. For the first year or so, until her meds were perfectly balanced and she was regaining strength, I'd run meals up to them a few days a week, he did the rest of the cooking. Once my SIL was almost up to full speed, she started back with cooking again. Even though she had been mostly "I cook because we have to eat" kind of cook, she was happy to get back to banging pots and pans in the kitchen. Now her challenge, with their move from here to NC, is to learn how to cook on a gas range for the first time in her life.

Hah! Mark will load the dishwasher, but he’s under strict orders not to start it...
Our house rules, too! Himself loads things willy-nilly. I know how to get them in there to pack in the most and still have them come out clean.

Himself knows that if he puts any knife into the dishwasher that isn't one of the plastic handled bank premium steak knifes, he risks me taking that good knife and pinning him to the counter with it. :ermm: :ohmy: Not really, since I don't want to chip the counter.

I wash my measuring cups and spoons by hand, too. They are professional quality Cuisipro tools, and I treat them like fine jewelry.

Our house rules, too! Himself loads things willy-nilly. I know how to get them in there to pack in the most and still have them come out clean.

Himself knows that if he puts any knife into the dishwasher that isn't one of the plastic handled bank premium steak knifes, he risks me taking that good knife and pinning him to the counter with it. :ermm: :ohmy: Not really, since I don't want to chip the counter.

I wash my measuring cups and spoons by hand, too. They are professional quality Cuisipro tools, and I treat them like fine jewelry.
My measuring spoons are cheap plastic grocery store-bought, but they’ve got raised amounts instead painted on. The only reason I like to wash them by hand is because if Mark puts ‘em in the dishwasher and then I decide to make something, I can’t find them!

I’ve got a four cup Pyrex cup (used to have a two cup as well, but it dropped and broke), and a plastic two cupper. I like the plastic one because it’s graded on the spout side and marked with the measurements on the inside. It makes it very easy to measure liquids accurately. I had two of them, but one went into the dishwasher; it didn’t melt, it cracked.

Speaking of dishwashers....does anyone else remember back in the days of those crazy hot heating elements in the bottom of dishwashers, and having ice cube trays or spatulas fall down there and melt....:LOL:

Speaking of dishwashers....does anyone else remember back in the days of those crazy hot heating elements in the bottom of dishwashers, and having ice cube trays or spatulas fall down there and melt....:LOL:

Oh yeah. I came home from class in college to my apartment and thought it was on fire. Just a plastic spatula that fell through the racks.

CD

Hah! Mark will load the dishwasher, but he’s under strict orders not to start it until I’ve checked it out and removed my knives and anything plastic that might warp. I also like to wash my measuring spoons and cups by hand. Mark just doesn’t seem to get that although knives are made of metal, the dishwasher can damage them!

I'm going to get grief for this, but I sometimes wash my knives by hand, and sometimes put them in the dishwasher, and I have not, in 20 years, noticed a difference as far as longevity or sharpness of the knife.

Flame suit on, and target placed perfectly centered in my chest. :ohmy:

CD

I do the actual cooking, but Mom helps me by doing the prep work that can be done sitting at the kitchen table or in her chair in the living room. She will peel and slice cucumbers for me, snap beans, things like that.

We're a 60/40 split on the food shopping, with me doing the 60%. I often get a list from DW on my way home from work in the morning. Since I'm driving 50 miles home, I pass a lot of different kinds of markets.

When it comes to cooking, my wife cooks 70% of the meals for herself and our son (I usually just pick at what she makes just to be at the table as a family). I cook or bring home takeout for the other 30% for all of us.

However, I am a big boy and pretty much feed myself separately because of my work hours. If I ask my wife to make enough extra of whatever she's cooking for me to take to work, she'll oblige, but most of the time I get takeout, eat doctored up leftovers, or cook for myself.

I've always thought that all young adults ahould live by themselves for at least 2 years. No roommates, no significant others. You learn how to feed yourself, and clean for yourself, and so on. It helps later on in life, especially when taking care of family.

My partner does the big stuff, but I help
My partner does everything - lucky, lucky me

I was torn between these two. Sad to say, there are more days when DH does everything, yes, lucky me, but there are some days when I can help with the cleaning up. I really do miss the days when I did all the cooking and cleaning. It is so hard to have to give up ones kitchen, right ladies?

This is what I said and this is what I meant. ;) For those that don't know this, but men and women think differently.:) I have my reasons for making this statement, "It is so hard to HAVE to give up ones kitchen, right LADIES?"

My measuring spoons are cheap plastic grocery store-bought, but they’ve got raised amounts instead painted on. The only reason I like to wash them by hand is because if Mark puts ‘em in the dishwasher and then I decide to make something, I can’t find them!

I have three sets of dry measuring cups - plastic (from eons ago), metal, and beautiful ceramic ones, as well as three sets of measuring spoons. I'm tempted to get another, with rectangular instead of round spoons, so they will fit in my spice jars.

I’ve got a four cup Pyrex cup (used to have a two cup as well, but it dropped and broke), and a plastic two cupper. I like the plastic one because it’s graded on the spout side and marked with the measurements on the inside. It makes it very easy to measure liquids accurately. I had two of them, but one went into the dishwasher; it didn’t melt, it cracked.

I have a four-cup, a two-cup and a one-cup glass Pyrex measuring cups - sometimes I use them all in one meal! [emoji38]

Last edited:
I do most of the cooking, although DH has learned how to make a few dishes. I was really sick several years ago and have had several surgeries with weeks of recovery, so he had to. Sometimes I get something going and run out of energy, so he finishes it (he really hates chopping things). He does most of the cleaning up and I usually put away leftovers. It all works out :wub:

This is what I said and this is what I meant. ;) For those that don't know this, but men and women think differently.:) I have my reasons for making this statement, "It is so hard to HAVE to give up ones kitchen, right LADIES?"
Does that mean you don't want to know how men feel about it?

Don't most human beings find it hard to have to give up any activity they don't hate?

Back
Top Bottom