"Why Do I Keep....?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Greg - I know...I do watch TV sometimes during the day, but I'm usually busy doing other stuff. Actually, half the time that's the main reason I watch TV at night, is to fall asleep... :sleep: :) Occasionally though, there's something I find worth watching and go to sleep anyway, lol....old habits die hard, I guess....

I used to have a bedroom TV which I always watched while dozing off. I'd set it on a timer... So I read all the articles and advice saying that if you have insomnia you should get rid of the bedroom TV. So I did. Now I have worse insomnia. Go figure...

What's worse, now I don't have anything to do when I'm having insomnia. At least with a bedroom TV I could watch TV...

Last edited:
A lot of good replies here!

I can relate to the sleeping in front of the TV. When I have insomnia due to pain I curl up in my recliner. I can't just lay there or I will never sleep - turn on the TV and voila. Often in the night DH will let the dog out and turn off the TV to let me sleep. I will wake up, turn it back on and go back to sleep! :sleep:

One of the things I do is reach for a light switch on the wall next to the washing machine. I have done that ever since we moved here, even though the switch is across from the washer on the right-hand wall. I have never had a washer with a light switch there, so I can't use that for an excuse!

Another thing I do is, when someone asks what the date is, I often look at my watch. I have NEVER had a watch with a calendar!

A very irritating thing I sometimes do is, when I'm looking for something in the refrigerator or cupboard, I will pick something up to look behind it, and then I realize that the thing in my hand is what I was looking for! :wacko:

I brush bits of food off of the counter on the kitchen floor. I became so used to doing that over the years in the restaurant, from working on busy lines, that I do it at home. Nothing like getting a cold piece of chicken or toast crumbs between your toes.:wacko:
A friend of mine has an under-cabinet vacuum system in her house (her husband and father-in-law built the house). She wipes crumbs and things onto the floor, then just turns the vacuum on and sweeps everything under the cabinet. So cool!

When we first moved into this home over 13 years ago, I arranged the dishes in a certain way in a double cabinet - dinner plates on the left and sandwich plates on the left. We bought a new set of dishes about 6-7 years ago and for whatever reason SO reversed the location of the dinner and sandwich plates. At least half the time I still open the wrong door when I need a plate. Even worse, sometimes I pause, knowing it's a trick and second guess myself and still open the wrong door.

I can only assume this is a sign of extraordinary intelligence.
Andy, you made me think of what I do when I move to a new house. When it is time to put the dishes in the cupboards for the first time, if the layout of the kitchen is very different from what I am used to, I stand there and think, "I need a plate," and I reach out quickly. Wherever I reach out to without really thinking about it usually turns out to be the best place. :cool:

I have only had a cell phone for a little over a year. I resisted for a long time for various and assorted reasons. When I first got it, invariably I would open it and put it to my ear to listen for the dial tone. I still do it from time to time. Fairly often, I will punch in the numbers, then hold the phone to my ear.....after a period of time of not hearing anything, it will finally occur to me that I didn't hit the "send" button. I chalk it up to Old Timer's Disease.

Since I've needed reading glasses, I've bought half a dozen pairs of cheapie ($1) plastic ones and put them throughout the house. How many times have I sat down to read the paper but have had to get back up and find the pair that belong on the table beside the chair where I always read the paper. :rolleyes:

All I can offer is the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

All I can offer is the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Insanity is hereditary .... You get it from your spouse and/or children! Also gray hair!!

On occasion at work I sit at a co-worker's desk, I quite often start "typing" something and become confused when nothing shows on the screen......until I realize I have been using the calculator as a keyboard doh!

Tonight I was feeding the dogs and needed a can of food. I chanted "I need a can of dog food" out loud from the kitchen to the store room, wouldn't even look at the fridge and VOILA! I came out with the can on the first try!

Maybe you CAN teach and old dog feeder new tricks! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

A lot of good replies here!

I can relate to the sleeping in front of the TV. When I have insomnia due to pain I curl up in my recliner. I can't just lay there or I will never sleep - turn on the TV and voila. Often in the night DH will let the dog out and turn off the TV to let me sleep. I will wake up, turn it back on and go back to sleep! :sleep:

LP, I am forever falling asleep with the TV on in the recliner

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:

Actually this is an Albert Einstein quote :) love, and agree with it, however it is misinformation to say that it is the "definition" :)

Barbara L said:
A friend of mine has an under-cabinet vacuum system in her house (her husband and father-in-law built the house). She wipes crumbs and things onto the floor, then just turns the vacuum on and sweeps everything under the cabinet. So cool!

Andy, you made me think of what I do when I move to a new house. When it is time to put the dishes in the cupboards for the first time, if the layout of the kitchen is very different from what I am used to, I stand there and think, "I need a plate," and I reach out quickly. Wherever I reach out to without really thinking about it usually turns out to be the best place. :cool:

I believe that is called "central vac" and I would LOVE something like that!!

I'm going to be moving in september and will have to remember that trick. I'm renting a room in a house right now so I didn't decide where things go, and every single time I open up the wrong drawer looking for silverware. EVERY TIME!

Barbara L said:
One of the things I do is reach for a light switch on the wall next to the washing machine. I have done that ever since we moved here, even though the switch is across from the washer on the right-hand wall. I have never had a washer with a light switch there, so I can't use that for an excuse!

Another thing I do is, when someone asks what the date is, I often look at my watch. I have NEVER had a watch with a calendar!

A very irritating thing I sometimes do is, when I'm looking for something in the refrigerator or cupboard, I will pick something up to look behind it, and then I realize that the thing in my hand is what I was looking for! :wacko:

It sounds like they should have put the switch there when the house was built! Clearly that is where it belongs! ;).

Maybe someone needs to buy you a new watch with the date on it!

And last, but not least, you are so smart to already pick up something in the fridge before even see it! Sounds like ESP!

I guess you are all set!!!

Now could you help the rest of us out? :D

So...I have a pantry in the kitchen as well as one in the basement. I am always going to the basement and staring at the shelves looking for something that is upstairs in the kitchen pantry!

Every night, I forget my medications until it's time to go to bed. I know that if I take them an hour earlier, I would be asleep in a few minutes. As it is, I forget and lay in bed for an hour before I even get sleepy.

I have a silver dippiing cup for a punch bowl. No punch bowl though. I pour my pills it it. As soon as I empty it, I immediately put in the next dose. That doesn't mean I will remember to take them on time. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom