"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Senior Cook

That was a good read and certainly very true! A few years ago I went away for 3 days to a seminar and when I returned all the laundry was piled up waiting for me. I asked my husband why there was so much laundry. He exclaimed that he didn't have time to do laundry he was busy with the kids. He didn't even cook, they got carry-outs during that time.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Better to decide not to if you are not sure than to have them and let them know you regret it for the rest of thier lives.

Nothing wrong with your choice, you have more consideration for your "not children" than some that do have them.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm amazed at how many women comment on their home-inept hubbies.
i know, i know, you love them for all of their other great qualities, but i hear these complaints so often that it can't be an absolute truth, but rather a perceived thing.

to be fair, taking care of kids is far more tediously difficult than a 9 to 5 (hmmm, or in many cases 5am to 7pm, including the commute) office job. but staying home with your own children is much more fun and far more immediately rewarding, so i don't know why anyone complains. even when the kids are sick or are misbehaving, you're work is critically important to the things you value in your life the most, unlike a stupid job.
the grass may not be any greener at home than at work, but at least it's your lawn that you're taking care of, ya know?

i think it is becoming a thing of the past, though. since people are getting married later in life, guys are not leaving their mamas to go directly into a home with a wife to care for them, so they're forced to learn to cook and clean. or live in a sty.

try to get a second date with the woman of your dreams, after she sees what a slob you are.

i work 50+ hours every week, do all of the yard work and any heavy or "technical" things (anything requiring a tool) around the house, cook about a quarter or more of our dinners and get take out another night or 2, help with the laundry, clean half of the house, and do more than half of the food and essentials shopping, and my wife has the same complaint. that i don't know how hard she has it. i wish we could trade places one day.

i would love to be a mr. mom.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

DUDE BT i totally see your point.. But i still live at home (i go to school halftime and work full) and i call my mom every day from work and ask how she is doing and what she has done. My mom has a illness so i have to help take care of her and its hard for her to do things a normal person can do. she cant lift anything heavier than 10 pounds. My mom says the same thing all the time. "You guys never notice what i do around the house" maybe i need to tell her more that i appreciate the things she does and maybe she would stop complaining. I work 40 hours a week and then school on top of that and then i cook for the family. BUT my mom does most of the work and with her health she should not be.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

there's no question that showing appreciation, from either side, is always welcome.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #16
Head Chef

yeah i think its becasue i get sooo caught up in my school work and work that i forget about the things my mom does around the house.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My wife has just started the role of a Stay-at-home Parent. It's straining on the household income, but I think it'll prove worthwhile in the long run.

That being said, I would be an absolute fool to think that she does nothing while at home. I value her time and unlike some guys in this situation, I still do the cooking. It's rather unfair to assume that just because she spends the entire day at home that the night time chores should be all hers.. Not to mention, I like doing the cooking..

All in all, she is the best mother.. I couldn't ask for someone to better care for our child.

This is very funny, and I will be forwarding it on to her..

Thanks for sharing...

-Brad
Old 11-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I think the major thing is the appreciation shown, Im not complaining that my husband doesnt do anything its just when he does he wants me to fall at he feet thanking him. When I worked 40 plus hours, ran 2 teenage daughters, took care of all the shopping (one thing he never does), plus kept the house neat,I very seldom got a Thank You for dinner or for making sure the kids were taken care of, and when I said I was tired I would hear "why are you tired?" It just got more annoying than anything like im not allowed to be tired. For me i would have liked a day every once in awhile that i didnt have to be responsible for everyone in the house. It would be nice to have my hubby run the kids,get dinner on, make sure homework was done,and that the kids are in bed at a decent time. Just to give me a break. I will be going back to work shortly and I'm not looking forward to the same old routine.
This is not ALL men, I've met a few men that do the majority of household stuff and they have the same complaints.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
Master Chef

What BuckyTom said!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i coulda gone with "and men have already done all of their part of housework. we discovered elecricity, then invented electric motors to run in things like dish and clothes washers, and vacuums. if it weren't for us, women would still be down at the river, beating clothes on rocks!!"

i'd better go now...