"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
If you only knew......I had a mr. potato head, lol We lost pieces along the way. Don't you wish some of the teachers would explode along the way? lol Isn't it funny that people don't read body language, I think it is. (though i do work with only men) I'll try, I promise, give me time. I probably have a story in me, I'm just working on it. ~bliss
oh great news, blissful....I have inspired you I hope.... write a story from your job experiences.....only be creative and use the words set forth...nonne is critical on this site.......I promise. you......have you seen how many postings there are??? they are too intimidatated..................go for it..........if you have to write it down on a piece of paper before posting,,,,,,,,,,,then so be it.........it's good for the brain..........challenge your brain.....who cares what you post.............?????

Old 07-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #42
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL I had a Mr. Potato Head as a child too. My mom told me that when she was a kid they had Mr. Potato Head too, but it only came with the face pieces. They had to supply their own potato!

I love the way the stories are going! Hopefully we will get a few more in, and then maybe Monday someone would like to post a new set of words. Maybe we could do new words on Mondays and Thursdays (just a loose schedule of course--if we are ready for more earlier, that would be fine, or if tons of stories are coming in, it could be held off a bit).

Barbara

Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
If you only knew......I had a mr. potato head, lol We lost pieces along the way. Don't you wish some of the teachers would explode along the way? lol Isn't it funny that people don't read body language, I think it is. (though i do work with only men) I'll try, I promise, give me time. I probably have a story in me, I'm just working on it. ~bliss
don't work on it.......just let the words flow.........write whatever pops into your head............. I do and you see the mistakes that I make....so what ....no one cares here about grammar, diction, etc.etc. ect......just post your story.........Same with the rest of you........
Old 07-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #44
Sous Chef

I used to tell my students to just write. You can edit later if you want to, just get your ideas down on paper. Often times the first thing you think of is the best, and if you keep second guessing yourself you will lose some really great ideas.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #45
Master Chef

you are absolutely right, 1000%, B's girl..............the best stories that I ever wrote were off the cuff..............I remember getting an A plus in college on a paper.........and this prof was tough...............sorta the same thing that Barbs is having us do.......take unrelated words and come up with a story..........but this was on Greek theatre.....Sophocles' Aristophones to be be more exact.........and I remember sitting in front of the typewriter and wondering what the hello I was going to write when an idea came up............once that happened I could not stop.............that doesn't happen often.....she loved it..........I imagined myself as a writer heading to Athens and then I meet Sophocles..........he shows me around the city.........the rest just naturally followed...........I know, corny...........:) but it was fun
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #46
Master Chef

I looked at my watch when I heard a crunching noise on the gravel walk. My puppy was sitting next to me, and the mail carrier had already dropped off the day's accumulation of magazines. I checked the oven to make sure supper was coming along as planned, then went outside to see who was visiting us.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #47
Sous Chef

ready?

junk
jump
flower
coin
crayon

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #48
Master Chef

Chris sat comfortably on a weathered chase lounge, staring at an empty swimming pool. He heard the everpresent sound of ZZ Top playing from a distant apartment.

"Good song." He said quietly to himself.

The noon-time sun was hot in San Diego, and in the confines of the horseshoe shaped apartment complex, little air moved. Chris got up to frehsen his glass with more ice water, with a twist of lemon of course. As he reached for his aprtment door, he heard; "Hey Chris."

The voice belonged to his next door neighbor, a very pretty young lady of twenty-two years. She had an athletic, muscular build, but not overly so. All of her curves were in the right places. Many were the heads that she turned. Even so, Chris was captured by her green eyes. They seemed to project a never-ending smile, a joy of life that spoke of tropical waves and perfect beaches. They were confident eyes set in a perfect face.

Chris replied; "Hi Jill. What's up?"

"I just baked two to many potatoes and wondered if you might come over and help me eat them."

"Sure. I'd love to come over and help you eat 'em. Is that all you cooked, cause I have some left over lobster I can heat up and bring over, and, um, let me see, some fresh asparagus spears that would go pretty good with them too."

"Sounds great to me. See you in a minute then."

"Be right there."

Chris quckly gathered together a microwave steamer, and his food, along with a couple of microwave safe dishes. As he did so, he said to himself "Glad I didn't put this microwave stuff in with the other junk."

A quick moment found him knocking on Jill's door. She answered the knock; "C'mon in. I'm in the dining room. Just go in the kitchen and I'll be right there."

He replied; "Ok, I'll put the food on the counter."
As he entered the house, Jill's cat stepped in front of him. He nearly stepped on the animal but was able to half-jump, half-step over it. He muttered an epitaph or two just a little to loudly. Jill heard and called; "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I almost stepped on your cat."

"What'd he do, step right in front of you? He's such a pest. He alwasy does that to me."

"You nailed it, Jill."

"Are you Ok?"

"Yeh, I'm fine. I just know to watch out for the cat now." Chris could hear her snicker in the other room.

As he entered the kitchen, he noticed a single flower on the kitchen table/butcher block. It was elegant, and appeared to be very fresh.

"What kind of flower is that on your table?" he inquired.

"That's a bird of paradise?"; came the reply.

"I don't think I've ever seen one before."

"Really. They're pretty common."

"Well, it's a very pretty flower, for a very pretty lady."

Jill walked into the kitchen then and said, "Why thank you."

To be continued when I have more time...

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #49
Master Chef

woah........you're a wooer......GW!!!! good story!!! :)
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #50
Master Chef

well........it was a very hectic morning......kids.....shoes.......clothes....toys everywhere......when will this chaos end??? and the clock was ticking...........Mom was screeching by now...........kids were dawdling.......as usual........as Mary jumped over the children's junk and sighed at how she going to have to clean it up later.....as if she didn't have enough to do.......just one day she'd like for her husband to have a period, a child, and deal with the animals....in the future she will wish for him to go thru menopause but the hot flashes will come many years later........then he might appreciate her more......don't get me wrong...she loved him dearly but his job kept him busy and out of the maelstrom known as domestic bliss.........One day Mary's 4 yr old was busy careening around the kitchen.......she started to excitedly point to her nose.......inside was a small coin............how did that happen???? she watched her like a hawk................first thought......"what a terrible Mom you are" but she took a box of crayons and some paper and rushed her to the emergency room........luckily the doctor was able to remove it......he just laughed and commented on a funny little girl who had come in with a lego up her nose the week before......sighing with relief Mary had to laugh in spite of herself.........her hubby who is no dummy sent her some flowers...the end