"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
He may want to unsubscribe because it fills up his e-mail inbox - that's why I don't subscribe to ANYthing. .

not even the reader's digest? or life magazine?

or, ... or... tell me you get the tv guide, dontcha? the tv guide?

waahaaahaaaaa, what is this world coming to?

i know, i know. the condensed version.

cheers for hungry, jeers for elfie.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
I hate to be a DUMMY but where is my USER CP. Not only where is it--- What is it?
Near the top of the page:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	3676  

Old 03-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #13
Executive Chef

CP is control panel. You can also unsubscribe from the Thread itself. Thread tools I think from that page.

I find the subs very handy with the intros page. Saves me trying to work out if I have missed someone or not.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
not even the reader's digest? or life magazine?

or, ... or... tell me you get the tv guide, dontcha? the tv guide?

waahaaahaaaaa, what is this world coming to?

i know, i know. the condensed version.

cheers for hungry, jeers for elfie.
Go the woodshed - NOW!

Hungry - if you are interested I can set your preferences to not subscribe to ANY threads. Then, if you want to subscribe to only the ones you choose you can do so. Just let me know.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Subscriptions

Quote:
He may want to unsubscribe because it fills up his e-mail inbox - that's why I don't subscribe to ANYthing.

Hungry - if you need anymore help just let me know.
Thanks to Wart--
With the help of his picture I found the USER CP.
There was one subscription that was current and I was able to delete it.

However, there are 83 subscriptions listed and "not a clue" on how to get rid of those.

Do I just wait until I get response to one of those and then DELETE it?

Elf--- you mentioned you could clean this up for me.

Please do that. I still want to subscribe to items of interest and see the responses. But, there is no earthly reason to keep the 83 old ones.

TIA,
Old 03-30-2008, 02:06 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Charlie, you know that bar that had "User CP" in it? Well look over to the far right side and you will see "Quick Links". Open that and near the bottom you will see "Subscribed Threads". Click on that and it will show you the list of threads that you have subscribed to. Now you can either go through the list and select the ones you want to get rid of by clicking on the check box just to the right of the thread, or if you just want to be rid of them all, select the check box at the top of the column in the blue bar (just to the right of "Notification"). That will select all on that page. Go to the bottom of the page to the blue bar with the drop down box marked "Selected Threads". In the drop down box you will see "Delete Subscriptions". Click on that and then hit the "Go" button. You will need to do this per page of threads. HTH
Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Hungry - I have deleted all your subscriptions. I have also set you up to not subscribe to ANY threads. If there is a thread that you want to subscribe to you have to do that manually now, even if you post in it. You will not get an e-mail unless you specifically subscribe to a thread. That can always be changed via your User CP under Edit Options - scroll down to the box titled Default Thread Subscription Mode, click on the pull down menu and choose from there.

If anyone has a ton of subscribed threads they want "done away" with just let me know and I will do it in one fell swoop. Please sent me a private message so it will get my attention versus posting here.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I can't see the point in unsubbing from inactive threads. Fact, someone may post something really good to an old thread and if I unsub I would probably miss it.

Plus it's not like leaving inactive threads in the subscription folder takes up room on the/my PC. I'm sure if the amount of data saved for all users becomes a size issue on the DC server the powers that be will take steps to reduce the size of the files. Heck, one forum I'm a member of has regular server crashes where old posts are lost .... LOL!

If the amount of email is the issue go to the CP, choose Edit Options, and change the Thread Subscription Mode. There are options for Weekly or Daily notifications, Instant or No notifications. You could choose No Subscription but then you will have to look through the forums to see if there is an addition to the thread.

Email Part II: I use a email client (examples: Eudora, Outlook, T-Bird, Netscape) and NOT web based mail/ webmail. Reading mail in a web browser has been touted as some kind of step forward but all the times I've use webmail I've seen it as a giant leap backwards, and inconvenient.

Plus, if I download mail using a client the mail can be easily archived. More than once I have had to search the archives to dig something up.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

All I can say Wart is - everyone's different.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Subscriptions

Quote:
Hungry - I have deleted all your subscriptions. I have also set you up to not subscribe to ANY threads. If there is a thread that you want to subscribe to you have to do that manually now, even if you post in it. You will not get an e-mail unless you specifically subscribe to a thread. That can always be changed via your User CP under Edit Options - scroll down to the box titled Default Thread Subscription Mode, click on the pull down menu and choose from there.

If anyone has a ton of subscribed threads they want "done away" with just let me know and I will do it in one fell swoop. Please sent me a private message so it will get my attention versus posting here.
Thanks Elf...

In the future I will be more selective on the theads I subscribe to. If they get too repeative I know now how to delete them.

Charlie