"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

Keep an eye on your Walgreen's circular that comes in the mail or pick one up when you go in the store. About once a month they have a buy one-get one free coupon for these.

BTW... the chili lime ones are very nice, too!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef

just bought these today for my DF's stocking stuffer Haven't tried them, but I trust your reviews! Thanks for the tip...by the way I bought them at Target.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Master Chef

Blue Diamond also has two other flavors that are my favorites besides the Wasabi and Soy Sauce:

Maui Onion and Garlic
and
Salt and Black Pepper

Blue Diamond nuts can be purchased from their website.

Blue Diamond Store

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
A friend was serving these almonds at a recent party and I couldn't stop eating them til she told me they contained soy. I can't eat soy. I almost cried. These are the best almonds I have ever had. I always buy BD Smokehouse almonds but these are much better.
Are you unable to eat any soy, DQ? I have friends who have health problems that make them unable to eat most soy products, but fermented ones are ok (for them). If you are able to eat fermented soy, then these almonds are probably ok for you as soy sauce is fermented (disclaimer: I haven't actually seen the ingredient list, so I don't know that soy sauce is the only soy in the product, read the label yourself and preferably consult your doctor before making any decisions).
Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
Master Chef

they are to die for and I sent them to my daughter and her dorm friends and they absolutely loved them..........when my store ran out.......I had to go to the manager and request that they order more (it was a promotional item at the time) and they did.......now they're a regular feature...........
Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Cook

Tamari almonds are easy to do. They are a gift basket item at our house.

2# raw almonds (we get 'em @ Costco)
Tamari (I don't measure but would guess 2/3 cup total) NOT soy sauce you'll be disappointed.

Spread out the almonds evenly in a roaster pan and place in a 275 oven for 25 - 30 minutes. Once the almonds are toasted, revove every 10 minutes sprinkle with tamari and stir well. Light coats don't drown 'em. Heat will carmelize the tamari and after about 3 - 4 applications almonds will have a nice rich brown coating. Remove and allow to cool to room temp before storing in containers.
For pecans, shorten the roasting time to 20 minutes.
Now you guys got me going with the wasabi. Off to Costco.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
Executive Chef

update on my fiance's stocking stuffer.....he did NOT like them....you should have seen his face with the first bite! Then I convinced him to eat a couple of more to see if it would grow on him....nope. So we gave them away to a family member that said she liked them. I was surprised because he usually LOVEs wasabi!

(by the way we had to have Christmas on Thanksgiving because he is now back in Iraq....in case you were wondering why he already opened his stocking!)

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Head Chef

I picked some up at Walgreen's the other day. I liked the wasabi soy ones at about a 5 on a scale of 1-10. I liked the chili lime ones even more, at about a 7. My favorite is still the smoke house almonds. Almonds are healthy, so I eat them whenever I have them around.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I've never tried the Blue Diamond almonds in question, but yesterday i picked up a bag of Trader Joe's Wasabi Tamari Almonds. They are very good. Thought I'd mention it here for those who (like me) haven't seen the Blue Diamond ones in their local stores.

Tags
None