"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Nope. Can't stand anything sweet on bread or meat. I have hated pb&j all my life. Hubby says I'm strange.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'm seriously wishing both of you lived close by. I'd take some, with extreme gratitude.

But, in answer to your question,
9. Take a spoonful, and launch it at your dh, or dch. Then laugh loudly as they wipe it from their faces.
My favorite, but I wouldn't do that. Because I want to be nice to Himself? Heck no! Because I wouldn't want to waste even a spoonful.

We like it along with cottage cheese. I suppose you don't like cottage cheese though, huh Rasp? Our son's favorite was was using it as a filling between two toasted waffles. That might not work though since you might consider waffles "bread". Good luck using it up/giving it away! Wish you could send some our way too.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Razz, by my calculations, you have 6 gallons of apple butter left a year after making it and you don't like it with bread or meat, the most common uses. Why do you make so much?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Razz, by my calculations, you have 6 gallons of apple butter left a year after making it and you don't like it with bread or meat, the most common uses. Why do you make so much?
Good question, GG. I know our one apple tree produces so many apples during certain years, it's hard to know what to do with them all.

I gave some AB to a friend who grew up in Amish country, and loved the stuff, but was sad that she couldn't buy it when she moved here. I told her about the CP method I use, easy as apple pie! (Actually, MUCH easier!)
Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I love cottage cheese. Grandma used to make her own for her kolache. Waffles have sugar in them, so apple butter can be put on them. Just can't put butter on sweet bread/muffins or sweet stuff on non sweet bread. I have become more lenient in my old age, as I no longer throw away a peanut butter jar that has jelly in it. I just scoop all the offending Ick off the peanut butter! LOL!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Oh, and I made so much of it because I could! I get rather OCD while canning... It was a big apple year for us. I also canned lots of sliced apples for pies etc. My hubby wanted lots for his nightly English muffins. However, I have learned my lesson, and did develop a great apple butter. I eat it on graham crackers! It's so thick that it is great between layer cakes, and makes good muffins. Oooo! The grape butter is still cooking down in the roaster. Smells heavenly!

Tags
None