"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook
What to do with lemons and lemon juice

I just received a large crate of lemons. I know that I will be zesting some to make Lemonchello, but what can I do with the rest. Also, I really need suggestions for the lemon juice from the lemons after I zest them.
I hope this makes sense.

Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
freeze in in small amounts like an ice cube tray then bag and use to add flavor to almost anything you cook.

Life is too short to eat bad food.
tupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Make lemon meringue pie, lemon jelly or even a large supply of lemonade. I imagine you could freeze the lemon juice, perhaps in ice cube trays for easy use in recipes.

Lemon Meringue Pie

100g plain flour
25g butter
25g lard
1 egg yolk
1 tsp caster sugar

Lemon Filling
2 large lemons
30g corn flour
300ml water
2 egg yolks
90g caster sugar

Meringue topping
3 egg whites
150g caster sugar

Put the flour into a bowl. Cut the butter and lard into cubes. Using your fingertips, rub butter and lard into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
In a small bowl, mix together 1 egg yolk, l tsp caster sugar and 1 tsp cold water. Make a well in the centre of crumbed flour mixture and add the egg and sugar mixture Using your hands, bring mixture together quickly to form a smooth, firm dough.
Roll out pastry on a surface lightly dusted with flour to make a circle big enough to line the base and sides of a shallow, loose bottomed 20cm fluted flan tin. Carefully roll pastry around rolling pin. Lift over tin and unroll pastry.
Using fingertips, case pastry into tin. Trim top edge neatly. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Put a baking sheet into oven set at 425F/220C/gas 7. Line pastry case with greaseproof paper and weight down with baking beaus. Cook on baking sheet for 15 min. Remove paper and beans. Return to oven and cook for 5 min, or until light golden brown.
Finely grate rind and squeeze juice from 2 large lemons. Put juice and rind into a bowl. Add the corn flour and 2 tbsp cold water taken from 300ml cold water. Blend to a smooth paste.
Boil remaining water in a saucepan. Pour on to lemon mixture, stirring continuously. Return to pan and bring to boil, stirring continuously for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 egg yolks and caster sugar, heating well. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute, or until mixture thickens. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, and then pour into pastry case.
Put 3 egg whites into a clean bowl. Using an electric beater, whisk whites until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar, 1 tsp at a time, whisking well between each addition, until all sugar is whisked in and meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
Reduce oven temperature to 325F/160C/Gas 3. Spoon meringue over lemon filling, spreading right out to edges of pastry case. Pile meringue up in centre of pie to give a domed effect. Cook pie in oven for 25 minutes, or until meringue is pale golden.
To remove pie from tin, position on top of tin upturned bowl and carefully ease sides away from base, pressing down as you do so. Serve warm.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Head Chef
I would get a good stock of zest and freeze in baggiesm the juice I would but into ice cube trays, the lemon rinds put them into baggies also and then when you cooking throw a rind or 2 into what ever you cooking, waste not want not
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
scald some large glass mason jars, scald the lemons in boiling water poured over them in a strainer then hit them with cold water, dry them then split each into 4, but DO NOT cut all the way through them, they have to stay together.
then shove a few bay leaves in the bottom of the jar, pour salt into an open lemon and drop that into the jar, and keep doing that with all the lemons and pack them in tight!
then fill up any air gaps with hot concentrated salt water and seal it right away.

leave it in a cool dark place for 6 months at least.

when you take one out you`ll find even the skin will be easy to squish up with a fork, do that and rub it under the skin of a whole chicken and all around it and roast as normal :)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Master Chef
YT, are you a scientist or something, sounds way too complicated, like some nuclear physics experiment or so.

I say, juice it and freeze it.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
make a lemon salad

boil whole lemons until the skin turns a light color.

remove from the water.

I put them on a plate and cut them into thin strips with a knife, removing the seeds at this time.

put the pieces in a bowl stir in some honey and olive oil (more than the honey) and a sprinkle of oregano.

Chill and serve with chicken, fish pork......
Life is too short to eat bad food.
tupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Head Chef
when life gives you lemons..... make lemonade!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Another way of preserved lemons - great for North African recipes.

5 lemons
70g salt
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
6 coriander seeds
4 black peppercorns
bay leaf
150ml lemon juice

With a very sharp knive, cut approx 8 vertical incisions around the peel of each lemon. Don't go too deep, or the lemon will seperate when cooked.
Put the lemons in a stainless steel pan with all the other ingriedients and cover the lemons with water.
Boil until the lemons are softened (20/30 minutes)
Place in a clean container and leave for a minimum 5 days before serving.

Try and enjoy.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
sorbet, curd, salad dressing, lemonade, gelato...

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote