"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Liquid Smoke vs. Cedarwood

I have to agree that it is redundant to add liquid smoke to the wood plank. The purpose of the wood plank is to give the fish or meat the smoky taste of whichever type of wood you're using. If you add liquid smoke, you change taste of the wood. Brushing the liquid onto the grill itself might give you the wood smoke you're looking for but I would leave the wood alone. That's my take on it.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Winglover
I like the concept of this . One question.. DO I BBQ the meat with direct or indirect heat ? I would imagine having it direct would cause a little fire

MyChickenWings.com
Winglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winglover
I like the concept of this . One question.. DO I BBQ the meat with direct or indirect heat ? I would imagine having it direct would cause a little fire
That's if you want your meat well done

sorry, i don't have the answer - just couldn't resist...

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #34
Executive Chef

direct, charred edges on the board are ok.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Plank Spiked Pork Roast

I finally found some cedar planks at Manard's (local version of Home Depot). The planks are 15" x 5.5" x .75". They cost $4.99 for a set of two and I bought 4 planks total.

Anyway, I took one plank and my handy cleaver and made long spikes. I soaked the spikes and planks for several hours and then pushed 5 of the cedar spikes lengthwise throught the roast. The only seasoning I used was black pepper and sea salt that I rubbed all over it.

I oiled one side of a whole plank before placing the roast on it.

The roast cooked in the oven at 325 degrees F. for a little over 2 1/4 hours (internal temp 165 ish). The smell of the pork and cedar was really nice in our kitchen.

I let it sit for 8 or so minutes and removed the cedar spikes.

This proved to be a little bit of a task.

But we survived and cut the roast.

You could absolutely taste the cedar through out the entire roast and the aroma was distinct and good. We though it was really tasty. If I where to make a sauce or a glaze, which I did not, I think I would make a sweet apple glaze or sauce. Maybe next weekend.

Bryan
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #36
Master Chef

bnox; you are THE MAN! I'm going to try this technique with my next bbq'd turkey. And I'll be trying it with a pork roast as well. Thanks for posting your results. Now I just have to wait for my next pay-check...

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I called my brother in Virginia and told him about the cedar spikes and he is excited to try it as well. He want to make the spikes smaller and grill chicken with cedar skewers.

He explained it to me as skewers that are thin but about an 1/2 inch wide saoked in bourbon and skewered inside a fillet of chicken. If that makes any sense. Last time he soaked anything in bourbon all he made was trouble. We will see.

Bryan
Old 07-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #38
Senior Cook

BKNOX: MARRY ME !!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Great pictures and good looking food. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Hey all! New guy to the site and had to weigh in with my 2 cents worth. I just "planked" for the first time Sunday...holy cow! Where has Plank Grilling been all my life?!?! I did about 3 lbs of Ahi and 3 lbs of Yellow Fin, all caught not too long ago by a buddy of mine. I split each type in half and tried 2 different marinades. One batch got Worcestershire, garlic, juice from half a lime and some salt & pepper. The other was Zesty Italian dressing, Grey Goose vodka, juice from half a lime, and some random seasonings. The plank got a light Macadamia Nut Oil rubbing. OH MY GOODNESS!! I actually had 2 people comment that it was the best fish they ever had. The Ahi, a bit fickle when it comes to drying out during BBQing, was so moist, yet flakey. The Yellow Fin was absolutely superb. Oh, did I happen to mention that I don't really like to eat fish? This experience has changed that for sure! Can't wait until my next go at it. Oh, any ideas how many sessions you can use a plank for? The packaging suggests one-time use, but I would also at $13 for 3 planks! It isn't charred too bad...not as bad as some of ribs in the past...