"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Cook

Couple of brining questions?

i recently discovered the world of brining and absolutely loved it.

i brined my first pork chops last night and it came out so juicy that i actually liked eating pork chops but found it just a bit too salty.

i use the regular brine of 1 cup salt, 1 cup browm sugar to a gallon of water and brined for 7 hours ( jim tarantino recommended time)

next time i would like to half the salt and sugar but read somewhere that anything under 3/4 cup is not exactly a brine as it's not a 20% salt solution something like that. so do i

1. half the brinning time to say mabe 4 hours

2. or go ahead and half the salt and sugar anyway and brine for same time of 7 hours?

any input from experienced briners? thanks.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

7 hours seems like a very long time for chops IMO, but if you liked the results then that is all that matters. Personally I would go for 2-3 hours max. I am not sure about that 20% thing either. If it is salt water, as long as there is more salt in the water than in the meat then the brine will have an effect. I also think that is a lot of sugar. I would cut the sugar in half at the minimum. These are just my personal tastes though and yours may be different so try a bunch of different ways and see what you like the best.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
7 hours seems like a very long time for chops IMO, but if you liked the results then that is all that matters. Personally I would go for 2-3 hours max. I am not sure about that 20% thing either. If it is salt water, as long as there is more salt in the water than in the meat then the brine will have an effect. I also think that is a lot of sugar. I would cut the sugar in half at the minimum. These are just my personal tastes though and yours may be different so try a bunch of different ways and see what you like the best.

aparently pork takes 4 times longer to brine than chicken ( so i've read in a few sites). chicken breast is usually 1-2 hours so 6-8 hrs for pork seem to tally up. although if you've brined your pork for 2-3 hours and still have it juicy i might try that time. hopefully that will also cut back on the saltiness a bit.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I have found that brining times depend on the size of the meat, not the type of animal. I breast or chop will take a lot less time then a roast or whole bird.

If your chops were too salty then you have 3 options.

1. cut back on the brining time.
2. cut back on the amount of salt in the brine.
3. both of the above.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Yeah I have found that brining times depend on the size of the meat, not the type of animal. I breast or chop will take a lot less time then a roast or whole bird.

If your chops were too salty then you have 3 options.

1. cut back on the brining time.
2. cut back on the amount of salt in the brine.
3. both of the above.
would cutting back on my time affect the juiciness of the pork or is that just something i would have to do to decide. i think i would probably have to experiment right? thanks for your help gb
Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Both time and the salt content will affect the juiciness. It will also affect the texture of the meat. Many people find that meat that is brined too long has a very unpleasant texture. But yes, experimentation will be key for you. It is a fun thing to experiment with though. Try using soy sauce as part of the salt. You can also try adding other flavors like herbs as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Both time and the salt content will affect the juiciness. It will also affect the texture of the meat. Many people find that meat that is brined too long has a very unpleasant texture. But yes, experimentation will be key for you. It is a fun thing to experiment with though. Try using soy sauce as part of the salt. You can also try adding other flavors like herbs as well.
yes i would like to add herbs to it as well but i think i better get this salt sugar and time right first before experimenting further
Old 03-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Yep. Better to start with the basics first.

I actually omit the sugar from my brine. I do not find it adds anything that I enjoy. There are others who agree with me and also others who would not dream of making a brine without some sort of sugar. That is the great thing about cooking. We can all do what we enjoy and there is no right or wrong answer.

Now that you have discovered brining you will use this technique a lot I am sure. Those that love it really love it!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Did you rinse before cooking?
I am not a fan of brining except for shrimp--30 minutes for previously frozen shrimp really makes them succulent and "fresh".
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I was going to mention rinsing also - I always rinse meat/poultry after brining, pat dry and continue with preparation.