"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We seem to have gotten a wee bit off-topic here i.e., "suits" with a smile = used car salesmen??????

I think we all agree manners are important and shows respect for those around us - and respect for ourselves. Bad manners are just that - bad. If we have good manners we don't correct people with bad manners. How we choose to eat our meals, at our own tables, in our own homes, is nobody's business but ours be it formal because that's what makes us feel good or relaxed because that's what is more enjoyable. When in Rome do as the Romans do - i.e., I bet I would eat my pizza with a knife and fork versus picking it up like I like to do at home because that is what everyone else does and I am not going to eat in a way that appears I have bad manners because I don't.

However, burping may be good manners in some cultures but DO NOT BURP IN PUBLIC is a part of my DNA makeup - so it's just not going to happen!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #102
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
...However, burping may be good manners in some cultures but DO NOT BURP IN PUBLIC is a part of my DNA makeup - so it's just not going to happen!

Don't worry, elf, I've got your back on this one.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy

Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #104
Sous Chef

Kitchenelf - Sometimes I look at things people do and just wonder about them (both the people and things). I definetly don't mean in a demeaning way either, more of an inquisitive mode (I even wonder why I do things the way I do). For instance, what is the purpose of a tie? Or how about when women wear nylons that make their legs a different color than their arms? I guess I feel comfortable around people who have a much more simple appearance. When I see someone with a suit and one of those un-naturally large smiles I just can't help thinking that he's going to try and sell me an '88 Toyota Tercel or dual-function coffee-maker/waffle press...

Anyhoo, I wouldn't let a belch rip in the middle of a quiet restaurant, but sitting around with people at a BBQ or in a Sports Bar I might. I guess you can call me "Shrek"...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Well Nicholas, I guess you would feel quite comfortable around me right now - when I feel a bit "blue" I wear my father's old, tatty, blue, terrycloth bathrobe - no tie anymore so I pin it. But then again, this "outfit" might be just as unapproachable as a suit and tie.

I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic, that's all.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #106
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
It all started with IronChef's The Christmas Degustation Menu 2006.
How in the h.ell did my degustation menu spawn this thread?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
How in the h.ell did my degustation menu spawn this thread?
ummmmm - because you weren't here and we all agreed that if we needed to blame someone for anything it was ALWAYS your fault............. See, it pays to attend meetings

Old 01-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #108
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
ummmmm - because you weren't here and we all agreed that if we needed to blame someone for anything it was ALWAYS your fault............. See, it pays to attend meetings
Aaah. Well I didn't get the memo. That's ok though, my ex-gf used to do the same thing so I'm used to it.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #109
Master Chef

I haven't read this entire thread, but one thing we all have to remember is that the point of manners and etiquette is to make everyone feel more comfortable. In other words, it is bad manners to act superior and put others down. My mom teases me because I eat like "a left-handed European". In other words, I do not changeover the way most Americans do when cutting meat. But I keep my knife and fork left-right rather than right-left, the way my European friends do. I know most chopsticks etiquette. But short of eating like animals, which I have some friends whose children do, I look the other way.

Over many years, my husband and I have both been asked etiquette questions ... some because many of our friends over the years are foreign born, some because we really have known people who weren't raised to know where the fork goes in a place setting, then found themselves having to go to a formal banquet and were almost in tears with fear.

Here is the all-pupose answer:
#1 -- never be the first to take a bite. Wait and watch. Follow.
#2 -- start at the outside, work in.

For those of you with children, I recommend something Mom did. Periodically have a dinner where you trott out everything you've got. All of it. Make your kids dress up for the occasion (we did this after Sunday mass during the winter). Mom even went so far as to go to yard sales and buy stemware to show her grandchildren how to eat and drink. I threw a party once that was absolutely nothing fancy ... but my neighbors' kids were terrified ... I had cloth napkins and they couldn't figure out where to wipe their fingers. Don't let this be your child.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #110
Master Chef

StirBlue, people who show up a couple of hours after I've planned dinner ... well, they won't find any dinner. And yes, I have known some. A half hour, OK. I don't serve dinner for an hour after I've invited people, we sit around and have drinks and appetizers for about an hour. But yes, I have had "friends" who you invite for 6 and they show at 8 or 9. Only once. Because the rest of my guests have eaten and we're having desert when they show up.