How much oil for 15 1/2 quart pressure cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JS1981

Assistant Cook
I have an old school 15 1/2 quart pressure cooker that used to belong to my grandma. If you are wondering what it looks like, here is the link. By the way, the one in the link is much newer than the one I have, but they look similar.

Amazon.com: All-American 15-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner: Kitchen & Dining

Anyway, I am wondering how much oil I should put in it? I will be using canola oil, and I will be making wings. Also, it will be on a gas stove, so any idea what temperature I should have this thing at? I am new to pressure cookers, so that is why I am asking these things. Another question, about how long would it take in a pressure cooker for them to be done?

In case you are wondering why I am using a pressure cooker for this, I will explain. I have a fryer that I do use for normal chicken, but does not work well with wings. The wings usually get like an air bubble or something on one side, this makes it impossible just about to get that side to stay in the oil. So I usually end up with one side not as done as it should be. So, a few friends suggested I use a pressure cooker to fix that problem.

I will be cooking about 15-20 wings.

Thank you for your time,
Jason Schoon

Hi Jason,

What you have is a pressure canner. What you need is a pressure fryer. I don't know enough about your grandma's canner to be sure but I'd guess it's not rated for frying.

If you're having a problem with bubbles, poke some holes in the wings with the tip of a knife before you fry.

Last edited:
Well I would really like to use it for that if possible. The poking holes in the wings does not work very well. And getting the wings done just right in that fryer is a major pain. They either get way too done to where they are dried out, or not done enough.

I certainly wouldn't trust it for pressure frying, to big a risk for pressurized oil all over if it fails.

Well I would really like to use it for that if possible. The poking holes in the wings does not work very well. And getting the wings done just right in that fryer is a major pain. They either get way too done to where they are dried out, or not done enough.

If it's not made for pressure frying, it could be dangerous to you. Think explosion and fire. Picture yourself engulfed in flaming oil.

Contact the manufacturer and ask them directly. If they say no, buy a pressure fryer.

As an alternative, buy a deep fryer and learn how to use it.

Andy is correct. If the vessel is not specifically designed for pressure frying, the pressures generated by 360' oil will be sufficient to create an explosion. The oil will be atomized, similar to gasoline sprayed into an automobile engine cylinder. Less than a tsp. of gasoline, ignited by a spark produces enough power to push your very heavy car, its passengers, and anything in the trunk at speeds in excess of seventy mph. Think how much power would be developed by a quart of ignited cooking oil, which is very similar in stored energy to jet fuel.

I have experienced the extreme pain of deep 2nd degree burns, caused by flammable liquid ignition on a pant leg. The pain was incredible, and lasted for many weeks. After the initial extreme pain subsided, significant pain continued for many months. Even now, thirty-some years after the accident, the skin of that leg is tender, and is more easily damaged. A light bump to that shin is all it takes to tear the skin. Believe me when I say that the danger is real and is not worth the risk of such pain, and even death. Unless your pressure cooker is rated as a pressure fryer, don't use is as such. You could injure yourself or a loved one.

A simple answer to your dilemma is to purchase an enclosed frying basket to use with your fryer. The frying basket will hold everything under the oil.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom