"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Need advice with a pasta experiment.

I want to make raviollis that are amazing. Now before I start, I already know how to make my own pasta, and ravioli fillings, and what kind of sauce to use with them. But I want to really go over the top with this. My idea is to use a pie-iron to make giant raviolli, where one raviloi is a meal. But I'm worried about the techniqe for joining the pasta sides together in such a way so they don't come apart while cooking the thing. And what method should I use.

I would think that because they are very large, the filling should be pre-cooked, to prevent overcooking the pasta while the filling goes from raw to cooked. I would also think the pasta should be thicker, to hold the filling without breaking. And finally, I would think that the pasta needs to be brushed with egg-wash before it is filled and formed, to help it retain its integrity. Maybe I should bake the ravili before boiling, again to help maintain structural integrity.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone else tried to make giant raviolli and what were your results?

I might just have to make this for tonight's supper.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You might consider steaming the ravs instead of boiling. It would be more gentle.

Another option would be to try egg roll wrappers as the pasta for the ravs. They are thin but sturdy.

I agree you might be better off cooking the filling first, depending on the nature of the filing.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I can understand doing this for the sake of doing it, but my initial though was that when served, each bite would contain so little pasta since the ration of filling to pasta would be so skewed towards the filling that it would not be worth it.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
G'weed, one thing you should do when you fill the ravoli is to be sure you don't have an air pocket, which would cause your pasta pillows to have a blow-out. Yes, the egg wash is a good idea to help keep them sealed.

As for cooking them, I think I might gently simmer them, one by one, in a shallow skillet of water. Turn them once with a spatula. That might be a way to boil them without any risk of damaging them.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I can understand doing this for the sake of doing it, but my initial though was that when served, each bite would contain so little pasta since the ration of filling to pasta would be so skewed towards the filling that it would not be worth it.
I'll make the pasta thicker than normal. But you are right. I'm doing this as an experiment, just to see if it can be done, and for the Wow! factor. How it works, I'll let everyone know.

And Katie; Great ideas. Thanks.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

It will definitely have a wow factor if you can pull it off.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I've done what Andy said, using large egg roll wrappers (about 8-9" square). I don't seal it though. It's called a "free-form ravioli".
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I want to make raviollis that are amazing. Now before I start, I already know how to make my own pasta, and ravioli fillings, and what kind of sauce to use with them. But I want to really go over the top with this. My idea is to use a pie-iron to make giant raviolli, where one raviloi is a meal. But I'm worried about the techniqe for joining the pasta sides together in such a way so they don't come apart while cooking the thing. And what method should I use.

I would think that because they are very large, the filling should be pre-cooked, to prevent overcooking the pasta while the filling goes from raw to cooked. I would also think the pasta should be thicker, to hold the filling without breaking. And finally, I would think that the pasta needs to be brushed with egg-wash before it is filled and formed, to help it retain its integrity. Maybe I should bake the ravili before boiling, again to help maintain structural integrity.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone else tried to make giant raviolli and what were your results?

I might just have to make this for tonight's supper.

This is part of a thread explaining using one won ton skin on top of another (filling in the center), pressing the air out, sealing & using a pizza cutter on the edges. This will give you a larger ravioli, but not one giant meal-sized porrtion.

Crab & Cream Cheese Ravioli with Fresh Tomato Sauce - Rec.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...tml#post463593

What comes to mind is either a calzone, or pizza that's folded in half called a Pazone - a cross between a pizza and a calzone. You would probably want to bake it as you would a pizza. Another thought - use fresh pasta sheets and cut to size.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

GW,
I make ravs not the big ones but reg size..If I were to try making a large one I'd not have the dough to thick, My ravs when put together you can just notice the green from the spinach through the dough. I have a large rav roller that marks each square, then I use a jagged edge tool to cut them out..This presses the side together and and helps keep them sealed. A straight edge like a pizza cutter doesn't do the job good enough..I drop mine into boiling water and let it come back to a boil and let it go til I like the bite to the tooth it gives. I always use a wooden spoon, metal will tend to cut the dough easier..I usually boil gently abot 20 minutes. then drain and layer into my bowl, ravs,cheese,gravy and repeat til all are used. Hope this helps a little. I'd not bake them your dough is apt to get hard and crack, oiling them is really a waste of time, just boil gently sauce them and enjoy..If using a meat filling if it is fine enough you don't have to pre cook it, the water bath will do it for you..
kadesma, I might have forgotten something here as I'm bushed right now, so good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
Head Chef

Egg rool skins are great they do not break as easy as dough skins and I would boil in a shallow amount of water.or you could deep fry them I have hade these as apitizer and as a full entre.. seal them with a whole egg wash this a chefs best glue.. Lots of luck