Scalding milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaker

Assistant Cook
Does anyone still scald milk for recipes? I thought you only had to scald non pasturized milk, am I missing something ?

Some recipes call for scalded milk. I tend to do so by putting in a glass measure cup in the microwave.

I know I do this for scalloped potatoes if I don't wantt to make an actual thin wihite sauce. Just pour the hot milk over the layers of sliced taters, butter and sprinkle a little flour a couple times as the potatoes are put in the casserole dish. Taught to me by none other than Betty Crocker, ca1960's cookbook.

I scald milk if the recipe calls for it. I made a bread recipe a few times that called for scalded milk. I just assumed they knew most people would be using pasteurized milk and would not call for the milk to be scalded if it didn't need to be.

I scald milk if the recipe calls for it. Like others, I do it in the microwave. I have a chocolate frosting recipe that calls for it when melting the chocolate in hot milk. I remember my mother scalding milk in the top of a double boiler. I can still picture that aluminum pan with the bottom pan that was shaped like a bubble.

And welcome to DC. A fun place to be. :angel:

I scald milk if the recipe calls for it. I made a bread recipe a few times that called for scalded milk. I just assumed they knew most people would be using pasteurized milk and would not call for the milk to be scalded if it didn't need to be.

I believe that scalding milk in a bread recipe breaks down the protein. The whey protein in the milk can inhibit the formation of the gluten and slow down the rising of the dough.

But, the main reason I do it is because my grandmother did it and my mother did it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yes, it's supposed to help the yeast out. Come to think of it, the ice cream recipe I follow might call for scalded milk, too.
I've always done it on the stove top, so I can see the bubbles form around the edge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom