"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Scalding milk

Does anyone still scald milk for recipes? I thought you only had to scald non pasturized milk, am I missing something ?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Some recipes call for scalded milk. I tend to do so by putting in a glass measure cup in the microwave.

I know I do this for scalloped potatoes if I don't wantt to make an actual thin wihite sauce. Just pour the hot milk over the layers of sliced taters, butter and sprinkle a little flour a couple times as the potatoes are put in the casserole dish. Taught to me by none other than Betty Crocker, ca1960's cookbook.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I scald milk if the recipe calls for it. I made a bread recipe a few times that called for scalded milk. I just assumed they knew most people would be using pasteurized milk and would not call for the milk to be scalded if it didn't need to be.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I scald milk if the recipe calls for it. Like others, I do it in the microwave. I have a chocolate frosting recipe that calls for it when melting the chocolate in hot milk. I remember my mother scalding milk in the top of a double boiler. I can still picture that aluminum pan with the bottom pan that was shaped like a bubble.

And welcome to DC. A fun place to be.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I scald milk if the recipe calls for it. I made a bread recipe a few times that called for scalded milk. I just assumed they knew most people would be using pasteurized milk and would not call for the milk to be scalded if it didn't need to be.

I believe that scalding milk in a bread recipe breaks down the protein. The whey protein in the milk can inhibit the formation of the gluten and slow down the rising of the dough.

But, the main reason I do it is because my grandmother did it and my mother did it!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, it's supposed to help the yeast out. Come to think of it, the ice cream recipe I follow might call for scalded milk, too.
I've always done it on the stove top, so I can see the bubbles form around the edge.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Sous Chef

If the recipe says "scalded milk" I follow the directions. There are loads of recipes written since pasteurization was invented.

Tags
milk