Spicy VS Hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By-the-way, one thing that works in diffusing HOT dishes in a Thai restaurant ... ask for a dish of cucumbers or cucumber salad. A little bit of that, a bite of mint .. and you're ready for some more fire.

Michael in FtW said:
Well, spicy and hot are obviously not the same thing ... although something that is hot is probably also spicy.

Spices can either play a supporting role, or a predominent role, in the flavor of a dish. If the flavor is subtle, it's a supporting role. If it is very pronounced - it's "spicy". If the spice is also hot, then you've got "hot and spicey".

Good example of being spicy, but not hot.

Michael and Coclate Chef, I owe you gentlemen an apology. In my last post, I got your names mixed up. I do such things frequently, even at home. I'm always calling Jessie, Lisa, and vice versa.

But what I do know for sure is the caliber of member that both of you are, and that's an excellent caliber indeed. :)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey Goodweed, I have two sisters I've never called by their correct names. I'm always calling Michelle Jeanine and vice versa. I have one other sister who I never confuse with anyone else. It's funny what brain farts we have. My dad and mom go through the entire litany every time (Claire, Marie, Jeanine, Michelle, Oh, He--, CLAIRE!!). Now my mom has taken to calling me by her eldest sister's name (ok, now add Adrienne to the mix). In other words, you aren't alone!!!

I think something can be spicy and hot. ie: it can have a full flavor from avariety of spices and can have the heat from peppers. Indian food and Thai foods as well as schezuan are examples where there is a good base of full flavors with a quantity of HEAT thrown in. I like my hot sauces to have a good full flavor, to bring something to the party other than raw heat.

Back
Top Bottom