Steak - turn once or turn many

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HF has the process right. Proteins will initially stick to the pan then release when a crust has formed.

Thanks for the advice Andy. Based upon what you say I'm more likely to try it. Unfortunately my cast iron skillet is in storage and all I have is a wok with what appears to be some anodized surface. I'm reluctant to trust it but I'm also reluctant to ignore the advice of the many expert chefs at DC. I've seen too much advice here on this site that jives with my own personal experience that I'd scoff anything or any member who has any kind of history at DC at all. Most of the cooking wisdom I've seen here is the real deal. Some professional chefs and mostly talented, enthusiastic amateur chefs. It would be silly to ignore advice from a mix like that. :)

I don't flip a lot but I do like the marks.

However you might want to go to this page and go down to number 3.

The Food Lab's Top 6 Food Myths | Serious Eats

I believe America's Test Kitchen also did similar tests, and arrived at the same result. Ever since these 2 articles came out, I've switched from the 'flip once' camp to the 'flip frequently' camp. I've been very pleased with the result.

I believe America's Test Kitchen also did similar tests, and arrived at the same result. Ever since these 2 articles came out, I've switched from the 'flip once' camp to the 'flip frequently' camp. I've been very pleased with the result.

For oven broiling thicker steaks (wintertime of course), more than 2 flip times gets the center of my steaks med rare and not raw rare.

The link in your quote discussed hamburgers. I'm not entirely convinced it applies to steaks. I totally trust ATK and if they said it's so then I'd trust it. I haven't been able to Google any ATK posts regarding flipping steaks.

Please supply ATK links/quotes if you can find any, applicable to steaks.

Of course, I only flip once...I'm to lazy to wait, it has to be able to walk onto my plate.

That's a good point Andy, that the browning marks are flavor: Maillard reaction. The part of the steak that doesn't get scorched doesn't get it. An assumption here is that the increased total length of grill marks exceeds the browning to greater depth by not crosshatching. I have no idea if that is correct but I believe there can be no doubt that the browning marks are more than cosmetic in grilled steaks. That might be why I often pan sear steaks despite the fact that I enjoy grilling.

Browning adds minimal flavor. I proved this because I had heard it said so many times and just had to find out. It does add flavor, but not a lot, and not that grilled flavor that we love.

To prove it to myself, and also the idea that intense heat creates the grilled flavor. I pan-fried a steak on a grill pan (with ridges) that made beautiful grill marks. I did it over medium high heat so as to not generate smoke. I tasted the steak. It tasted like a pan-fried steak. I then hit the steak with a butane torch over the top side, to test the intense heat theory. Again, nice maillard reaction, still tasted like a pan fried steak.

Cooked on a grill over a direct bed of charcoal, but used very lean meat. Great grill marks were achieved, little smoke was produced, and it tastes a lot like a pan fried steak.

Used a well marbled steak and cooiked over charcoal, letting the fat drip down and burn, creating smoke. Ah yes, now that's the flavor I was looking for.

Grilled flavor comes from smoke particle deposits on the meat surface. The smoke has to be from burning fat, not wood smoke. That's what creates the most flavor in beef. As I said, maillard helps, especially when your talking about a pan fried steak, or broiled steak. But fat dripping onto hot carcoal, or "flavorizer bars" on a gas grill, creates the smoke that flavors the meat.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Your test shows that a steak cooked on a grill with fat and smoke tastes different from a pan fried steak. That's not the issue.

Pan fry a steak with a nice dark brown crust then pan fry a steak over low heat so no dark brown crust forms and compare those. That was the discussion point.

Or to carry Andy's point further, try sous videing a steak---to assure no caramelization---and compare it to a pan-seared one.

Exactly!

On a related topic, I was discussing with an Italian friend the pros and cons of browning meatballs before putting them into a tomato sauce to cook. His mother did and his wife doesn't. I always brown meats before adding them to sauce.

I asked him if he liked steak. He said yes, of course he did. I asked him if he preferred it boiled or grilled... That got him to understand the need for browning to add flavor.

I've always coveted an infrared grill like the Tec Cherokee. I've never cooked on one but I hear they're fantastic. I wonder if anybody who has owned/used an infrared grill can offer their opinion as far as it relates to taste, browning, etc.

Last edited:
Your test shows that a steak cooked on a grill with fat and smoke tastes different from a pan fried steak. That's not the issue.

Pan fry a steak with a nice dark brown crust then pan fry a steak over low heat so no dark brown crust forms and compare those. That was the discussion point.

Andy; You are correct in stating that browning meat does alter the flavor, and in a good way. Another part of that equation is the salt flavor that interacts with that browned crust. Without it, the meat is still somewhat bland. But the interaction of flavors, with the salt adding to the browned meat cells produces a rich flavor.

I have often wondered if it wasn't the sugars found inside the meat at the cellular level that caused the maillard effect. The crust that creates the fond is very sticky, like cooked sugar. I just don't know.

I believe I was off the mark with my original comments, in that, I have heard many people the confuse the source of "grilled over heat" (burnt fat smoke) flavor. Some have said that it was because of intence heat, while others purport it to be caused by the grill marks.

But in afterthought, a piece of meat that is properly browned in a pan does have a richer flavor than does poached, or steamed meat. This is especially evident in pan-fried pork, but is a characteristic of all meats.

Also, as I think about it, the fond from beef is very similar in flavor to that of chicken, pork, and even fish. So again, I wonder, does it come from the meat, or from the salt, or a combination of meat juices and salt combining and sticking to the meat surface?

Of course there are other flavor compounds at work that give each kind of meat its own, unique flavors as well.

This is an interesting topic.

And thanks for making me think about what I post. I still consider you one of the best guys around to have such a discussion with. You hellp me think a little more straight, which is needed sometimes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
:LOL:This is an interesting topic watching you all you super cooks banter back and forth about it.

Not sure I'm a super cook. But I do enjoy learning about food from an engineering, or scientific perspective, as much as I enjoy the artistic aspect of food. And of course, I like accuracy because it allows me to be accurate when giving recipes or advice, or when receiving the same.

Oh, and you won't see Andy and I on opposite sides of the fence very often. We tend to agree far more than disagree.

To me, food has so many aspects, how it tastes, how it feels, how it looks, the techniques used to produce it, how I can adjust preperation and cooking tchniques to achieve a sought after result, how to blend flavors to get the flavor I'm looking for, etc.

But then, constructing flyable, to scale airplane replicas out of common printer paper is also the same for me. by knowing the nuances of how the real aircraft works, I can construct a small scale model that really flies, and exhibits the same flight characteristics of the original, albiet as a glider.

I'm just a strange kind of guy, a little bit science, and little bit engineer, a little bit artist, and most of all, a Husband and Dad, titles that I take most seriously.:D

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

To this topic I add that I can get a decent looking cut of steak for around $5. That's my cutoff point. These steaks look good and all, but there's not much fat riddled thru it.

I'm gonna do me a mess with a fork on one of them steaks soon, soak it with liquid tenderizer, and see if I can get fat tenderness.

It's been a long time, but I remember Caveman steak from Boy Scouts. We didn't care about the different cuts back then. We chose our beef by the amount for the dollar. To us a huge 7 bone, thick cut chuck roast was a giant steak. Caveman technique was simply to throw the meat right in the coals. We just scraped the ash off and started chewing and chewing and chewing.:ohmy: Very unique flavor, since most of the wood we used was pine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom