"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
...HH boiled some brats in beer and onions last night - not too long - and then put them in the grill pan to brown up. There was a scum of oil left in the saucepan, but we did not notice any loss of juiciness or flavor...
Did they screem a lot. I know brats have a tendancy to throw themselves on the floor, kicking and screaming, making a terrible rucous. And I know that if I was thrown into a pot of boiling beer and onions, even I'd make an awful lot of noise.

And yes I write fantasy and science fiction novels that have extreme villains capable of much mishief and evil ways. So it comes naturally to me to pick out the absurd.

Bucky, you have competition.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, umm, competition kicking and screaming on the floor, being a villain, or picking out the absurd?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Head Chef

I almost exclusively cook brats on the grill. I've never precooked them in water... I preheat the grill on high, then put the meat on and immediately turn it down to medium and cook for about 20 minutes, turning once. Always come out perfect...

BTW, that's a Weber Genesis Silver 3 burner gas grill...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
Senior Cook

... I never even knew you could boil meat
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

very tough cuts of meat can be boiled, braised or simmered. but that's not the case for sausages.

i never boil sausage before cooking. all kinds of fresh sausage from italian pork to herb/poultry sausage is always grilled or browned on fairly high temperature.

on the grill, the trick is to get the inside to be just cooked thru as the casing browns and just chars a bit. if the fire is too low, it will overcook inside and dry out before the casing appears done. if the fire is too high, the casing will burn by the time the filling is cooked.

grilling is the only method for a sausages and peppers hero, imo. the sausages grilled, the onions/peppers/garlic/oregano/bay leaves/red wine cooked in a seperate pan, then the sandwich is assembled, with a little plain tomato sauce offered as a condiment.

if the sausages are bound for a pot of sauce or a beer/onion bath, then it's ok to fry them in a little oil (or grill them) to get good color on the casing, but not cook them thru. they will finish in the sauce or bath.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Buckytom:

Right on!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Hm, after reading this, I wonder if maybe I dislike sausage because I've never had it properly cooked.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #18
Master Chef

I precook my sausage in the microwave to cut down on the frying time on the stove. No water used.