Transfering soup to container or blender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you guys seriously telling me you don’t know how to pour large quantities of a liquid mass into another vessel? Really, are you saying that with all of your knowledge you don’t know how to simply adjust and pour a soup or stew? This CAN’T be a new technology as I have been doing it for years, and I’ve see you guys do things far more advanced than me. What gives?

Okay - let's go back and look at what Mike, the OP, said:

Pouring a big ol' pot-o-stuff into something smaller is an aquired skill. And, it will be learned in time keltin ... but isn't it better for someone to learn in steps rather than jumping right in over their head and pouring a big pot of hot soup all over themselves???

I kind of see your point. But eventually, it needs to be learned. Why learn the wrong or slow way up front. My karate instructor would never allow us to learn the wrong or easy way even if it meant a few extra weeks of teaching. The thing about learning something is that, once you are comfortable you're liable to slip into a comfort zone and not move to the next level.

Either way, I’d much rather pour a pot in 8 seconds than sit there and ladle it for over a minute.

What about the rest that want to learn about blackening chicken or fish? Or others that want to learn about perfect steaks? Should we tell them that it is dangerous to heat cat iron to those temps for blackening? Or that beef is unsafe at medium rare? What about a flambé’ dish.…the dangers of setting that alcohol on fire are considerable.

Either way, the OP said:

I'm pretty new at cooking, and wondering what's the best way to transfer a sauce pan full of soup into a blender

And without a doubt good pouring techniques for a small batch as described is THE best way to go. A ladle will take twice as long and will end up with you having to pour anyway. So why not learn to pour up front?

I kind of see your point. But eventually, it needs to be learned.
WHY??? Pouring a large pot into another pot is not an essential kitchen skill. It is not the only way to get the contents of a pot into another vessel. It is not the safest way either. I would rather take a minute and take my time then take 8 seconds and potentially spill boiling hot liquid all over the place and myself or others.

Now if I were cooking in a professional kitchen then maybe those extra 52 seconds that I saved might be worth something, but in my home kitchen the safest way is the way I will choose.

WHY??? Pouring a large pot into another pot is not an essential kitchen skill. It is not the only way to get the contents of a pot into another vessel. It is not the safest way either. I would rather take a minute and take my time then take 8 seconds and potentially spill boiling hot liquid all over the place and myself or others.

Now if I were cooking in a professional kitchen then maybe those extra 52 seconds that I saved might be worth something, but in my home kitchen the safest way is the way I will choose.

If you ladle the sauce out of the pan to another vessel, can you get it all?

Or, do you eventually need to pour it?

Or throw it away?

And without a doubt good pouring techniques for a small batch as described is THE best way to go.
I completely disagree.
A ladle will take twice as long and will end up with you having to pour anyway. So why not learn to pour up front?
If you have good ladle skills then you will not need to pour anything. Sure there might be a little dribble left over, but we are taking a tablespoon or so. Is that really worth possibly spilling hot liquid all over the place? For me the answer is a resounding NO.

:)If its a small container use a ladle if its a large container it might help if someone could tilt it a bit and pour it down the side.If no help just use a small or medium sauce pan rather then a ladle and pour as close to the bottom of container as possible slowly.I dont know what the big deal is, just get it done.

Last edited:
And seriously, you guys are acting like this is a hard skill to learn. What gives. I thought everyone knew how to do this???? :ermm:
No one said it is a hard skill to learn. We simply said it is not the best option. Why do you need to be so fast in your kitchen? There are two options on the table. One is a little slower (we are taking seconds here, not hours) and much safer. The other is quicker, with the potential for serious injury if you slip or your dog dog runs into you or the container you are pouring into knocks over or any number of other things happen.

I completely disagree. If you have good ladle skills then you will not need to pour anything. Sure there might be a little dribble left over, but we are taking a tablespoon or so. Is that really worth possibly spilling hot liquid all over the place? For me the answer is a resounding NO.

Fine with me. I KNOW how to pour hot liquids, and I KNOW it is faster and even safer. With pouring, I’m only dealing with a hot liquid for a few seconds, with ladling, you double, triple or more your work with a hot liquid. Fine. Do it your way, But I can easily pour it, and if others don’t want to learn how to, then use the ladle.

These are techniques that make a difference in the kitchen. No sense in explaining pre-heating an oven, over-working dough, or bringing meat to room temp before grilling right?

Again, knowing how is not the issue.

If I'm transferring from a large pot to a large bowl and my intent is to transfer the entire contents, I do the big pour method you describe.

However, if I have a gallon of soup that I want to transfer to small 2-cup plastic containers, I use a ladle. Using a ladle, I can evenly distribute the liquids and solids among the smaller containers and not spill any.

I guess I'm not obsessed with speed and don't often feel so rushed that a minute is an issue.

Again, knowing how is not the issue.

If I'm transferring from a large pot to a large bowl and my intent is to transfer the entire contents, I do the big pour method you describe.

However, if I have a gallon of soup that I want to transfer to small 2-cup plastic containers, I use a ladle. Using a ladle, I can evenly distribute the liquids and solids among the smaller containers and not spill any.

I guess I'm not obsessed with speed and don't often feel so rushed that a minute is an issue.

I agree with that. But in this post, it is NOT about separating a soup or stew, it is about getting liquid to a puree device.

With pouring, I’m only dealing with a hot liquid for a few seconds
When dealing with hot liquid do you really want things moving fast? A blender has a narrow opening and is tall. A saucepan is wide. the potential for spilling is much larger than if you go slow and take your time with a ladle. What is the race? As the OP said, he has tried pouring and it has made a mess. The OP is obviously not a professional. I seriously doubt he will mind taking a few extra seconds to make sure he stays safe and gets the job done without making a mess.

No one is arguing that your way can not be done, but it sounds like you are arguing that a ladle is a stupid way of transferring hot liquid because it takes a little longer than pouring directly and that just really is not true.

I agree with that. But in this post, it is NOT about separating a soup or stew, it is about getting liquid to a puree device.
Read the OP's post again. He said it is about pouring into a blender OR into storage containers.

Same thing.

A 4, 6. or 8 quart saucepan mostly full of hot liquid which contains solids, that must be poured into a puree device (blender) with a 4 inch wide opening. I don't need to get the liquid into the blender. I need to get the solids into the blender. Ladle.

When dealing with hot liquid do you really want things moving fast? A blender has a narrow opening and is tall. A saucepan is wide. the potential for spilling is much larger than if you go slow and take your time with a ladle. What is the race? As the OP said, he has tried pouring and it has made a mess. The OP is obviously not a professional. I seriously doubt he will mind taking a few extra seconds to make sure he stays safe and gets the job done without making a mess.

No one is arguing that your way can not be done, but it sounds like you are arguing that a ladle is a stupid way of transferring hot liquid because it takes a little longer than pouring directly and that just really is not true.

I already explained in a previous post the need to prime the receiving vessel to void a mess or splash over. I often cook alone, and man-handling a large 20 pound DO with liquid is difficult for one person with a ladle. Pouring is easier, and pouring is universal. Once you learn how to do it correctly, things become a lot easier.

But I never said ladling as wrong, it just takes more time. Either way, I don’t care. I know what is easier for me. And I have learned a TON from finding out what is easier from chefs like Ray Lampe, Julia Childs, Schenak, Colman, etc….. If it is easier, I want to know why!

Ok then. Sorry you guys don't know how to do it. But it is an easy thing. Let me know when you want me to teach a class on pouring.

Ok then. Sorry you guys don't know how to do it. But it is an easy thing. Let me know when you want me to teach a class on pouring.
No one ever said they do not know how to do it. Quite the contrary. What we have said is that it is not the best method. Using a ladle is easy too. Actually it is much easier than pouring a 20lb DO full of boiling liquid into a narrow mouthed blender.

No one ever said they do not know how to do it. Quite the contrary. What we have said is that it is not the best method. Using a ladle is easy too. Actually it is much easier than pouring a 20lb DO full of boiling liquid into a narrow mouthed blender.

You are incorrect, they implied they had a small amount of liquid to be transferred. This is obvious because they are using a blender which has a low capacity, Further, the blender has only one purpose, and that is to puree the articles into on mixed fluid.

Back
Top Bottom