"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #31
Senior Cook

When I cut out biscuits I roll out the dough and then take any glass and turn it upside down, dip the end of the glass in flour and cut out the biscuit. The flour helps the biscuit slide right out of the glass and onto the cookie sheet.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
My mother had a biscuit cutter (just like a round cookie cutter). She had to keep kneading the dough to get a few more biscuits cut out of it.

I've found the best method for me. Roll the biscuit dough out into a rectangle. Use my sharpest knife and cut them into squares, then put them on the baking sheet...
SQUARE biscuits?! Why that's just not ... RIGHT!

Roll out the dough once. Cut with your ROUND cutter of choice (drinking glass, fluted cutter, whatever) trying to fit the circles together the very best you can.

Pick up all the in-between-bits and lay those on the pan and bake with the other perfect biscuits. Use them as cook's snacks and/or feeding hungry little children who are having a hard time waiting for dinner ...

Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #33
Senior Cook

using a glass crimps the edge of the biscuits and they don't rise quite as much.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #34
Head Chef

A few years ago (like 8 yrs), I went to work in a restaurant as GL (general labor). I was assigned to make biscuits (rolled white flour and cinnamon raisin). I had never turned out a decent biscuit in my life and I was a bit nervous.
Of course, they had a big work area, flour table and all. So I guess a proper work area is very important. They used a standard biscuit recipe, (simple). What I learned to become important is the amount of baking time. Biscuits were never intended to be baked until "golden brown". Biscuits are done when they are lightly browned.
When they are lightly browned, you can pull them apart. They need to be cut big and fluffy because they don't rise much. What you put into the oven is pretty much what you are going to take out.
Drop biscuits tend to be more crunchy and sometimes I like eating them as long as they are small.
Those cinnamon raisin biscuits were doughy and delicious, rich and fulfilling and ordered by a lot of people who were on their way to an early morning sports event or short road trip, and sometimes just shoppers looking for a lift.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I always thought biscuits in America meant scone, due to the 'tea and biscuits' phrase is so often linked to English people by Americans and to me it's always been 'tea and scones.'

In New Zealand biscuits are usually chocolate covered cookies, much more of a dessert. While cookies are dry and crumbly like chocolate chip or shortbread. :)
Old 12-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #36
Head Chef

We have chocolate donuts.