Toggle Menu Menu

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Back to Forum

New Reply
03-01-2007, 08:50 AM
I am a COMPLETE newbie at cooking really, but always enjoyed the small amount of cooking I've done.

Anyway, I have a recipe for chocolate fudge brownies. They sound good, and I think I could do it quite well.

However, it uses "cup" measurements.


1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup cocoa

How am I supposed to know if that is one of my smaller cups, or bigger ones, and how to measure it correctly. Any clues?

Link to the recipe: Fudgy Brownies Recipes at


Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Get yourself some of these - they have the measures printed right on them.

Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
The 'cup' refers to a measuring cup, not a coffee or tea cup. A measuring cup holds 8 fluid ounces (a measure of volume).

A measuring cup is equal to 16 tablespoons - measuring tablespoons, not silverware.

Any recipe will use these measurements all the time. You will need a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons if you plan on baking.
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
First, welcome, redrabbit. You'll enjoy DC and will learn a lot about cooking.

As for the measuring cup "thing," you will need to purchase a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons, too, if you don't have any. You should also purchase a "liquid" measuring cup. That is a measuring cup with a pouring spout. The other measuring cups don't have spouts. They have uniform rims all around. Most hardware stores, discount stores, dollar stores, grocery stores, and places like Wal-Mart and K-Mart will also have them.

When you measure dry ingredients such as flour and sugar, the ingredients need to be leveled off in the cup. That's why the rims are flat and uniform. Just take the flat edge of a table knife and scrape it across the top to remove any of the ingredient that is above the top of the cup.

The butter is the easiest because most sticks have marks on them telling you what 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc. is. All you have to do is to cut along the line that equals the measurement your recipe calls for.

Once you get the swing of things and some measuring tools, you'll have great fun preparing lots and lots of goodies.
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 09:06 AM
As a Brit, I used to be totally flummoxed by cups. I still don't like using them, though I have a set of 'official' cup measurements now. I'd much rather bake, for example, going by weight rather than having to worrying about whether my cup of flour is packed to right density!
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
another question might be: where do you live? THe US uses old standard measurements based on the "English" or European system of previous centuries (slightly modified). Most of the rest of the world uses metric measurements, and you'd be used to milliliters etc. of liquids.
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone for your excellent help.

I'm cooking a 3 course meal for 2 friends on tomorrow night, so want it to go well!

I live in England. I think I'll just use the table spoon measurements. I.e. 1 cup = 16 tablespoons.

As I don't have any of those measuring spoons, and don't have time to get them.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
well conversion should not be too much of a problem...1 US cup equals 237 ml. 2 cups is almost 1/2 a liter. (.03ml under)
Reply With Quote
03-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I found this:
2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon
48 teaspoons = 1 cup
16 tablespoons = 1 cup
12 tablespoons = 3/4 cup
10 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons = 2/3 cup
8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup
6 tablespoons = 3/8 cup
5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon = 1/3 cup
4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup
2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons = 1/6 cup
1 tablespoon = 1/16 cup

That seems pretty easy to follow. I should be ok.

Reply With Quote
New Reply


Copyright © 2015 Social Knowledge Full Site