"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

I have this grill. Weber® One-Touch® 22.5in Silver Kettle - Charcoal Grills - Ace Hardware

I just take the thermometer cable out and close the lid on it gently. So far, so good. I didn't want to come up from the bottom vent as I thought the heat may be too much for it. Going through the top vent creates a problem every time you want to open the lid.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I've got an idea.
How about getting a clay dish like you see under a larger flower pot, the dish that catches the extra water as it passes through, and filling it with sand. That in effect will give you a heat sink like a lot of us with vertical smokers use. It will direct the heat out towards the sides like your drip tray, but more importantly it helps control temps so they do not move as quickly. Basically the same thing water would do, but sand doesn't evaporate. Cover it with foil and change the foil for fresh every now and then. You could even still use the drip tray if you wanted to.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Andy, I've got an idea.
How about getting a clay dish like you see under a larger flower pot, the dish that catches the extra water as it passes through, and filling it with sand. That in effect will give you a heat sink like a lot of us with vertical smokers use. It will direct the heat out towards the sides like your drip tray, but more importantly it helps control temps so they do not move as quickly. Basically the same thing water would do, but sand doesn't evaporate. Cover it with foil and change the foil for fresh every now and then. You could even still use the drip tray if you wanted to.
That's not a bad idea! Both the clay and the sand would hold heat. I'd have to pre-heat the grill longer but then I'd have more temperature stability. The flip side is that once the temp goes too high or low, it will take me longer to get it right.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

But you will catch it quicker. You won't (hopefully) spike as much.
One way to find out.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
But you will catch it quicker. You won't (hopefully) spike as much.
One way to find out.
Oh, I plan to try it. I wonder if SO has any clay pot trays that will fit.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I live north of you, and I smoked all winter long, as well as BBQ. I have done that all my life.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bought a cryovac three-pack of baby back ribs at Costco Saturday. I just mixed up a new rub recipe. I plan on smoking some of them later this week along with a batch of potato salad, cole slaw and some BBQ beans.
Now I do hope that for the Tator salad, you smoked the potatoes that were needed for that salad.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladini View Post
Now I do hope that for the Tator salad, you smoked the potatoes that were needed for that salad.

Not a bad idea. I'll have to try it. SO doesn't like smoked everything. I have to be careful.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm a little hesitant to tackle a brisket on my Weber kettle. That's a long time to try to maintain a constant temperature.

Do you think it would taste right if I smoked it for a few hours then finished it in the oven?
ATK finishes off a lot of the BBQ smoked items in the kitchen. And so should you. You know the rule. Your kitchen, your rules.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I bought a cryovac three-pack of baby back ribs at Costco Saturday. I just mixed up a new rub recipe. I plan on smoking some of them later this week along with a batch of potato salad, cole slaw and some BBQ beans.
You're going to smoke potato salad? Is that a favorite of yours? Sounds interesting.