"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks for the advice Tom, I use chunk of old Jack Daniels Whisky barrels that I soak in water then add to the burning charcoal to make the smoke.
The planking method, is this to stop the salmon sticking to the grill more than smoking the fish as it seems a more complex and risky method.
Ps we hope to pick up some bigger Mackerel today and I may buy some farmed salmon to plank, I will then have to find a suitable plank which may mean chainsawing a piece of next winters firewood.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks bolas mate, hey you said tom without mate. our first lovers quarrel...lol.

btw, i should have added that a plank can be 1/64 to 1/4 inch thick ( don't you love avoirdupois?) depending on how quickly you want to cook it (depending upon the ambient temp of the stove, broiler, or grill-the higher the heat, the smaller the wood) and how many times you might use the plank.

oh yes, there is no sticking at all, and unless you flip the fish, the skin will be, for better lack of a term, kinda ooky. if cooked properly, the meat will slide off the skin easily for plating.

i find it's best to cook the fish to desired temp/texture through (my guess is you like mediym rare) peel off the still soft skin, chop and fry the skin. fried fish skin is delicioso.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Darling you are so insecure, to your trick question Avril Du Pois is just a friend, I hope that removes the weight of worry from your mind mate.
Ps I am the David Nash of wood cutting.Nashers the beast of Blaenau Ffestiniog taught me how to sharpen my chain.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Chain saw chains are lubricated with an oil that may leave undesirable oil residue in the wood being cut.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Thanks for the heads up Bill mate, I did not think of that. Stilh oil is very expensive over here. I have a electric hand held panel saw but it scares me.When I buy a box of Manx Kippers the wood of the box is about a 1/4" thick and because of the cold smoked herring inside it smells very smokey, would that do.