"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I made 2 racks of baby back ribs smoked on my Weber Genesis B (which was never designed for smoking). This is the method I used. I made a tray of heavy duty aluminum foil folded in 4 layers, about 1 foot long. Then I just turned on the front burner (of the 3), on high and put the smoker tray on the flavor bars under the grate right over the lit burner. I put some lightly wetted chips (not sure that the wetting is even necessary) in the tray and the ribs on the back half of the grate. To keep the temp down to about 220-230 I put a 10" landscaping spike under the corner of the lid to keep it open about 1/2 inch. I just watched the thermometer, played with the burner to keep the temp right, and added chips as needed for about 4 hours. All I can say is WOW!!!

I used a fairly generic rub of chili powder, chile molido, brown sugar, oregano, paprika, black and white pepper, and kosher salt Only for about the last 20 minutes did I finish them with my own sauce.

I smoked mine for 4 hours, and they were done perfectly, so it can be done on a regular gas grill. One method I've heard of to check for doneness is to bend the rack, and if the meat "breaks", they are ready. I've just been experimenting and finally seem to have found the right process. So keep pluggin' and you should find the right combo for your setup.
I followed almost the same formula here but mine were on the tough side. Not shoe leather but definitely not fall off the bone tender either. Did you wrap your ribs in foil for any length of time? the consensus of the other posters seems to be 4 hours is too long for baby back ribs, yet yours came out great.

I'll try wrapping in foil for the first 60-90, then smoke for another hour and see how they look. I'll also up my temp to 250*. Sound about right?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Fall off the bone tender comes from ribs with more fat on them. Baby backs are tender anyway and you don't want them fall off the bone anyway. Now short ribs I do like when they are that tender! When you smoke ribs (or anything for that matter) you have to go by "feel" or even temperature versus an exact recipe. The reason I asked if you left the ribs in a whole rack is because cutting them would dry them out even more, possibly.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1200 View Post
I'll try wrapping in foil for the first 60-90, then smoke for another hour and see how they look. I'll also up my temp to 250*. Sound about right?
No, sounds completely wrong. Do not wrap the ribs in foil at the beginning of the cook. If you do that you will not get any of the smoke flavor on to the ribs. Cook them with indirect heat for 3 hours at 225-250(225 is better). Then pour some honey on them and some "sugar in the raw" and wrap them in foil. Put them back on the grill/smoker for about 1.5 hours. Then take them out of the foil and LIGHTLY sauce them and put them back on the low heat for about 30 minutes.

If you grab the rack of ribs with tongs about 4 ribs in and the other end bends 45 degrees or more the ribs are done. Be careful trying that as the rack might break in half and you will be standing there looking down at the floor crying. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikPilot View Post
No, sounds completely wrong. Do not wrap the ribs in foil at the beginning of the cook. If you do that you will not get any of the smoke flavor on to the ribs. Cook them with indirect heat for 3 hours at 225-250(225 is better). Then pour some honey on them and some "sugar in the raw" and wrap them in foil. Put them back on the grill/smoker for about 1.5 hours. Then take them out of the foil and LIGHTLY sauce them and put them back on the low heat for about 30 minutes.
I wish I had thought of that
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
I followed almost the same formula here but mine were on the tough side. Not shoe leather but definitely not fall off the bone tender either. Did you wrap your ribs in foil for any length of time? the consensus of the other posters seems to be 4 hours is too long for baby back ribs, yet yours came out great.

I did not wrap them in anything except the dry rub. The racks I was referring to were meatier than most baby backs that I've seen, so maybe that is why they were good on a longer cooking time. They were not tough, nor were they dry. They didn't fall off the bone, but they were none the less tender, juicy and succulent. Everyone who ate them raved about them. Definitely the best I've ever made.

I'll be doing a few racks again in in a couple of weeks, and I plan to use the same method. The key is just watching what's going on and making sure that the heat stays fairly constant. Too low and it just dries them out, too hot and they'll burn before they are done.

I used about the same method for a whole chicken the other day. I cut out the backbone and splayed it out, then rubbed it with olive oil and dry jerk seasoning. Same cooking method except that I only left the burner on high for about 20 minutes to get the chips smoking good, then turned it down to medium (indirect) (about 340-350) for a total time of about 1:15. The meat was smoky and spicy and again done perfectly.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikPilot View Post

If you grab the rack of ribs with tongs about 4 ribs in and the other end bends 45 degrees or more the ribs are done. Be careful trying that as the rack might break in half and you will be standing there looking down at the floor crying. Ask me how I know.
Interesting. Some say cook for less time on higher heat while others suggest going even longer but wrapping in foil. Seems like there is quite a few different ways to cook great ribs. Experimenting is required. Shame it takes 4 hours to find out if you've screwed up!

So on my next attempt (this weekend) I will attempt the following:
1) Set temp to 225 (25* higher than I've been using)
2) Smoke for 1.5 hours
3) At 1.5 hour mark, wrap ribs in foil with a marinade/mop etc.
4) Cook for another 1-1.5 hours
5) Remove from foil and sauce for another 30 minutes.
6) Pray

Total cooking time of 3 hours. Given that these ribs are on the smallish side, I think 4 hours is too long and drying them out. Hopefully wrapping in foil for a portion of time will keep them from getting overdone.

Wish me luck. Thanks for all the suggestions. This has really been helpful.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Like you said, there are lots of ways to cook great ribs. You won't go wrong cooking them like you said, or some of the other ways either
Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

I think I said this in another thread, there are so many ways to cook ribs that I am sure I will be spending most of my summer trying em all out!
Ol Blue had a good one recently where she cooked em on the grill first with BBQ sauce on a higher heat, then wrapped in foil and cooked low n slow to finish em up.
And I like SikPilots method with honey and sugar in the raw... sounds good!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I have cooked ribs diffrent ways the best way is slow cooking and indirect heat. I have pre boiled the ribs to soften them up and seasoned them and put them on the pit and slow cooked them and final glazed them at the end .. they came out tender and mouth watering. I dry rubbed them and put them in my smoker I call the "tin Man" It is made of steel stands 5ft 5 three ft wide round. the grill is aprox 3ft from the mesquite/oak coals I cook /smoke the ribs for 4.5-5 hrs.... very good ribs. I even cook them on my Old Smoky BBQ pit( small batch two labs or less) indirect heat with dry rub 3.5 hrs over kingsford or royal oak charcoal. The only time I use foil is when I can't check on them ..... rule of thumb less heat better the rib. Want to know my Hot wing tips.....
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Executive Chef

How can I tell if my ribs are done

Quote:
Just found this forum and am looking for some help.
Poke 'em. If they giggle, they're done. TEE HEE!
Sorry. I couldn't help myself.