"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Yeah unfortunately its beginning to snow here so the outdoor BBQ isn't an option. :(

I haven't tried the salt and pepper method. I might give it a shot.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Dry brine them. apply salt generously and wrap in plastic wrap. Park in the fridge overnight. They will be the juiciest tastiest steaks you ever had.
How exactly do you dry brine a steak?

Okay nevermind I guess the salt method is dry brining lol.

Is just salt really good enough? I'm going to make the steaks tomorrow so tonight i'm either going to dry brine them like you said or leave them overnight in the fridge marinating in worcester sauce.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs88 View Post
How exactly do you dry brine a steak?

Okay nevermind I guess the salt method is dry brining lol.

Is just salt really good enough? I'm going to make the steaks tomorrow so tonight i'm either going to dry brine them like you said or leave them overnight in the fridge marinating in worcester sauce.

If you are really stuck on marinating, I'd suggest looking up a recipe or two. Marinading in straight worcestershire sauce overnight will likely ruin some good steaks. Maybe a teriyaki marinade?

But again, most good steakhouses want their steak and their cooking to speak for themselves, so they don't usually agressively season their meat.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Salt and pepper is really all you need, you could do onion powder and garlic powder as well. Depending on how thick your steaks are, say an inch+ thick, take them out of fridge 15 - 20 mins before cooking, just to take the chill off a bit. IMO the Forman really has no use in the kitchen except for paninis or other grilled cheese application. It will just press the juice right out of the meat {ANY kind of meat} leaving you a product you may not enjoy. You can use any pan really as long as it is a heavier weight one {cast iron, enamel coated cast or copper ARE the best agreed, but not fundamental}.

Method : On high Heat. Cook the meat on first side for about 4-6 flip and cook the same on the other. Then press on the center, if it is "soft" like a semi-wet sponge it is rare. Cook another 2 mins flip and 2 on the other side. Press and check again. It will feel firmer and should be MR/M. The KEY to having that steak tender and juicy? Remove from the pan to a plate, cover with foil and LET IT REST for 5 minutes or so. Then dig in and ENJOY!!!!

I hope this helped, and remember to play with your food
Old 12-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Okay i'm going to leave the steaks overnight. Approximately how much salt should I use? I will probably use a little dry steak seasoning as well.

I will leave them overnight in the fridge and cook them tomorrow after a nice workout. Should I cook them right after I take them out of the fridge or leave them for a little while?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Do read above post. I think I hit all your points. IF you use a pre-mixed, store bought spice blend, simply taste it before you use it. Those blends tend to be VERY salty to begin with and therefor no "extra"salt is needed. Salt in general is a very personal preference seasoning, hence "season to taste"

Have Fun!

Edited to add: When I say press on the center of the meat, just use your finger. NOT the whole spatula.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

when calories don't count, i like to finsh simply seasoned steak (just s&p as gb mentioned) with a hunk of butter to melt on top. i really like to make thyme butter for steak, or garlic chive butter.

if you've ever had a "sizzling steak" in a restaurant, it was a steak on a really hot plate with butter.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

Dang, I feel like having steak tonight.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Dang, I feel like having steak tonight.
I'm with you.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

^ lol! ... I'll let everyone know how my steak goes! There will be many many many more cooked in the future. :)