How to season these steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many people will disagree with me, but I do not find taking the meat out of the fridge and letting is warm up a bit to make any noticeable difference. I cook my steaks right from the fridge.

As far as how much salt to use for the dry brine, that is hard to answer because it depends on how much salt you like. I would use more than you think you will need, but don't go overboard. Unfortunately the only way to know what that means is through trial and error.

True... Thanks. I'll try not to go overboard with the salt.

My steak doesn't really get hot enough to melt the butter, if it does it is overcooked. :mrgreen:

you remind me of my buddy ozzy. he'd order his steaks by saying, " i want it rare. just lnock the horns off, wipe it's butt and drag it near the stove before you put it on a plate."

for really rare steaks, you can always melt the butter in a nuker first.
:chef:

Many people will disagree with me, but I do not find taking the meat out of the fridge and letting is warm up a bit to make any noticeable difference. I cook my steaks right from the fridge.

With thicker cuts if I don't leave them out for a while they're med rare in the middle as I like them to be but the rest of the meat is overcooked.

When my parents owned a restaurant, steak was served with a bit of butter on top. When we eat venison steaks, we heat the plates and top the steaks with a dab of butter (unsalted, of course). Dang, I want steak tonight! But, I have leftover buttermilk roasted chicken...

I dont have any sea salt or kocher salt or whatever. Will normal table salt do?

Cant wait to cook these tomorrow for lunch. :chef:

20111206222430.jpg

I don't think yours need it, but someone mentioned venison, that is ultra lean. For those very lean cuts (be them beef or game) I highly recommend bacon fat for the steaks (or burgers that are ultra lean)

because of this thread, i picked up 4 really nice strip steaks as they were on sale tonight when i went food shopping. :chef:

$3.99/lb., and they're nicely marbled. i'll probably make these on friday on the grill when the weather clears up a bit.

I forgot to ask, does anyone want to recommend some great side dishes to go with the steaks? If I don't have the ingredients i'd be willing to make a drive to the grocery store tomorrow. :LOL:

the classics would be creamed spinach and a baked potato topped with sour cream, chives, and crumbled bacon.

or you could go healthier and do steamed broccoli and oven "fried" potato wedges.

Never marinade a steak, just use a lot of kosher salt and coarse, freshly ground pepper.

I need to replenish my steak supply.
Great pic, gs88.

Pretty much anything goes with steak. Baked potato is common, as is something green (spinach with butter, asparagus). Sautéed mushrooms and onions is nice. A little pasta, like rigatoni, with a little marinara is nice. A big salad and garlic bread works well, especially if there is a little juice that needs pushed around.
If you have any leftover, gently warm it the next day and serve on buttered garlic toast with scambled eggs for breakfast. Pretty much anything you can think of.

Another variation for potatoes.......

Boil some baby potatoes till soft but not falling apart. DRAIN. {keep skin on} Transfer to a fry pan with a neutral oil {1/2 a cup or so} and LOTS of sliced garlic and shallots MED HEAT. Press each potato lightly with a firm spatula so you have 2 flat sides. Season heavily with salt and pepper and brown potatoes turning frequenty for 15 minutes or till desired browness is achieved.

My daughter LOVES these potatoes to the point of "OK Mom, you and Dad have 3 each, I get the rest!":huh:

Back
Top Bottom