"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

My First Smokeout! Thanks All

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the great posts that helped make my first smokeout a huge success!! I have always loved BBQ and finally decided to buy a real smoker. I went to BBQ's Galore and picked up my first smoker with offset firebox, a bag of lump charcoal, and some pecan wood. I was worried about the results since this was my first attempt at smoking meat but after reading many great posts in this forum I felt that everthing would be ok. I bought a 10 lb beef shoulder from BJ's Wholesale club and dry rubbed the night before. I woke up at 6 am to start the fire and smoked that sucker low and slow all day. To my wife's extreme displeasure, I drank ice cold beer most of the day while patiently waiting for my prize

The final result was excellent and all the guests raved about the food. The brined cherry chipotle chicken also turned out spectacular. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this forum....YOU GUYS ROCK! I can't wait to try my hand at Salmon and Turkey!!!

Regards,
Rollin

Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Congratulations, Rollin. Looks good!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

It really turned out much better than I expected. I cooked it a little more well done than I normally like since my family and friends will only eat it this way. Next time I will cook it MY WAY and they can bring some hot dogs !!! BTW...I never knew that beer was so good for breakfast...ha ha ha made me feel like I was in college again !

Rollin
Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well look at that beeeeaauuuutiful smoke ring!!!!!! Being a true blue (rah rah Carolina 'lina - oops, sorry) - being a true blue Carolina girl I have always smoked pork butts (and beer butt chicken).

I don't know much about a beef shoulder so I am going to ask in-depth questions.
  1. I assume there was some fat on the outside of the meat along with some fat on the inside?
  2. How long did you cook it?
  3. What temp did you cook it to?
  4. What kind of beer goes best while "watching the water boil"?
  5. Brined cherry chipotle chicken?
  6. I assume you will be ever so gracious and share that recipe?

Question to anyone who has smoked both - does beef "pull" like pork i.e., if you cook to an internal temp of 190 - 200 it becomes pullable versus sliceable?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

To answer your questions there was a good thick layer of fat on the topside of the meat but the bottom side only had moderate marbling. I never would have thought to cook a beef shoulder until I watched a BBQ university program on PBS where the host cooked a massive beef shoulder called a clod (18 lbs) I actually was going to buy a brisket but could only find flat cuts at most of the stores so as a last ditch effort I went to the wholesale club and found this beef shoulder and decided to give it a try. There was several nice thick lines of fat running through the middle of the meat but was fairly lean with light marbling otherwise. Despite this, the meat turned out wonderfully tender and was not the least bit dry. I smoked the meat between 220-240 degrees for about 5 hours and then allowed another 5 hours without smoke (internal temp @170 before resting...Next time I will pull it at 160 to get a more medium temp)

The best beer to drink while waiting is simply the "ICE COLD" variety (although I was personally drinking Blue Moon Ale) Like I said before the ole' gal was not too happy to kiss me since I smelled of smoke and beer most of the day but that didn't matter since my mind was on the food and cold beer.

As for the Cherry Chipolte seasoning, it was a dry rub I applied to the cut up whole chicken which brined overnight. I picked up the rub at BBQ's galore (John Henry's Brand.) It was great!

Here is the link to some of the rubs

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/gourmetblends.asp

Rollin
Old 10-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
aaaaaaa - Blue Moon - we sell a ton of it where I work.

Thanks for the link. It just takes smoking any kind of meat one time and then you realize there's nothing to fear. The only thing is underdoneness when it comes to pork. It reaches an internal temp of 200 - then it's pullable and wonderful!!!!

A friend smoked a brisket once - it was pretty flat too - it was wonderful!!

Thanks for the info.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Man! That looks good. Congrats.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Head Chef

Rollin welcome to DC. I can tell by the picture that your First Smokeout was a great success.

Looking at the picture is making me hungry.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Nice job. My first smokeout was a little different though.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Nice job. My first smokeout was a little different though.
I hear ya...

That is a fine piece of smoked meat, good job.