"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Smokin' A Fattie

I guess I have to be careful who I say this to. My DIL called from Florida and when I told her I was smoking a fattie she asked, in a surprised tone, "You're smoking a joint?!". I assured her that was not the case.

My second experiment in smoking on the Weber was the fattie. I used 1.5 pounds of breakfast sausage and a pound of bacon along with a shredded Mexican cheese blend. I sealed the cheese inside the sausage the wrapped it in a bacon weave, wrapped it in plastic and refrigerated it.

Following advice I got after experiment #1, I started about 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal and dumped it into the Weber before it fully ignited, added some soaked chips and the fattie. Closed down all the vents and watched.

Once again, tempertue control was the issue. The temp soared to well over 350 F before it settled down to about 240 to 250. After an hour, I turned the fattie over, added more wood chips and kept going. After two hours, I checked the temp and it wasn't done so I opened up the vents to finish it off. It took about 2:20 to get to 160 F internal temperature.

I brought it in and covered it to rest while I prepared the rest of dinner, potatoes and eggs.

As you can see from the pics, It didn't rest long enough before I cut into it.

All in all, it was tasty we both liked it.

FrankZ, thanks for the reminder, I found a clip for the remote probe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01913.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	11191   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01917.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	11192  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01918.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	11193  

Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

Is that a bacon weave?
Very nice!

I don't get to do the bacon thing... if it isn't super crispy, my wife doesn't like it... or
for some reason, whatever it was in/on. Sigh.

Try a bacon cheeseburger fattie, with good ol' seasoned hamburger! Milder than the sausage,
verry tasty!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

One of the benefits of the fattie's cooking at a higher heat for a time was that the bacon was crispy. SO also does not like soggy bacon so I got it right this time.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Very nice, Andy!
And even with the higher temp spikes, I wouldn't have expected it to be done before a couple hours. Mine are usually on for 3-4 hours at smoking temps.

I'm not sure about the method you used for the charcoal. I know the minion method was mentioned. The minion method is putting some lit charcoal on top of unlit that you already have in your grill/smoker. As the lit burns down, it ignites the charcoal underneath. A little different that using all partially lit charcoal, but the minion method is for long smokes anyway.

Regardless, you obviously did a good job and controlled your fire. Next time try a little less than half a chimney and have your vents partially closed to start. I'm sure the high temp is because you had too much charcoal lit for summer temps and it climbed too quickly.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Very nice, Andy!
And even with the higher temp spikes, I wouldn't have expected it to be done before a couple hours. Mine are usually on for 3-4 hours at smoking temps.

I'm not sure about the method you used for the charcoal. I know the minion method was mentioned. The minion method is putting some lit charcoal on top of unlit that you already have in your grill/smoker. As the lit burns down, it ignites the charcoal underneath. A little different that using all partially lit charcoal, but the minion method is for long smokes anyway.

Regardless, you obviously did a good job and controlled your fire. Next time try a little less than half a chimney and have your vents partially closed to start. I'm sure the high temp is because you had too much charcoal lit for summer temps and it climbed too quickly.

Thanks, Fred. I think you're on target. The temps took off fast! I thought the problem was too much charcoal but by then it was too late. The method I used basically results in the minion method. The charcoal at the top of the chimney isn't lighted yet. The stuff on the bottom is. When you dump it into the grill the unlit charcoal is on the bottom and the lighted stuff is on the top. Still, too much charcoal.

Also, because of the charcoal quantity, I had to shut down the grill vents 100% to get to target temp. The wood chips didn't smoke much that way until I lifted off the top to check things out. Then they'd smoke for a bit with the added oxygen.

I used my new hinged top grate and that was a big help.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep an eye on how fast the temps are climbing and make an uneducated guess as to how much to close the vents as I approach 200F, so I ease into my target temp, but you kind of get a feel for that depending on the weather.
I think the biggest thing to getting to and maintaining 225 (or so) is how much charcoal to start with. I remember last winter in single digits I put half a chimney in and it wasn't long before I was asking myself what was I thinking... it ain't summer anymore, lol. I had to get more charcoal going in the chimney to add. It was climbing way too slow.

So you use soaked chips? What do you do, use a smoking box?
I just put dry chips in a foil pouch and poke a few very small slits.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I keep an eye on how fast the temps are climbing and make an uneducated guess as to how much to close the vents as I approach 200F, so I ease into my target temp, but you kind of get a feel for that depending on the weather.
I think the biggest thing to getting to and maintaining 225 (or so) is how much charcoal to start with. I remember last winter in single digits I put half a chimney in and it wasn't long before I was asking myself what was I thinking... it ain't summer anymore, lol. I had to get more charcoal going in the chimney to add. It was climbing way too slow.

So you use soaked chips? What do you do, use a smoking box?
I just put dry chips in a foil pouch and poke a few very small slits.
I had been using soaked hickory in a SS smoker box. This time I just tossed a couple of handfuls of the soaked chips on the coals. They start smoking right away. Thanks to FrankZ and roadfix for that tip.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmmm, interesting. How long do they smoke for that way?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure. As I said, the closed vents stifled the smoke. I think roadfix actually suggested chunks not chips. I did get good flavor from them.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

A lot of folks use chunks, but they aren't available by me and the chips do a good job. You just have to watch they don't burn up too fast, which is why the very tiny slits I mentioned, so they don't get a lot of oxygen. I can get a few hours from them, about the time the meat heads into 140.
Maybe I'll throw some soaked chips into the Smokey Joe tonight and see what happens.