"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 10-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pine View Post
I have used a very similar method to this on my gas grill, many times. It works great. If you adjust the heat control knob for the
one lit burner to medium-high (or close to it) you may not need to prop open the lid.
The trouble is that I have a hard time getting the chips to smoke properly with the burner on any setting but high, and that makes it necessary to keep the lid open slightly. I did a couple of whole pork shoulder butts during the summer this year, and they did fabulously, slow barbecued for 8 hours on my gas grill.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The trouble is that I have a hard time getting the chips to smoke properly with the burner on any setting but high, and that makes it necessary to keep the lid open slightly. I did a couple of whole pork shoulder butts during the summer this year, and they did fabulously, slow barbecued for 8 hours on my gas grill.
RP, I just looked at your first post and here's how I do it; One layer of foil, dry chips, a few SMALL slits in the foil for air. Not too many slits or your chips will burn up right away.
I smoke using my gasser (inbetween using my WSM) and have no problem getting the chips to smolder with the burner on low. I'll bet all that foil is insulating your chips somewhat, plus you said you wet them, too.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
RP, I just looked at your first post and here's how I do it; One layer of foil, dry chips, a few SMALL slits in the foil for air. Not too many slits or your chips will burn up right away.
I smoke using my gasser (inbetween using my WSM) and have no problem getting the chips to smolder with the burner on low. I'll bet all that foil is insulating your chips somewhat, plus you said you wet them, too.
I did then, but I don't wet them any more. Just found that it isn't necessary. Like you say, you just open 2 or 3 small slits in the foil so that they can't burn, just smoulder. I really don't mind having to attend the grill when I'm smoking meat on it.... gives me a good reason to just sit out on the patio with a cold brew and enjoy the day.