Tri-Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The supermarkets here slice tri tip into smaller strips and sell them at the same per pound price. No longer a roast but you get practically all the fat trimmings off.

I've seen those thick "steaks" of tri tip too RF. Although they are sliced against the grain, they have to be durn tough because they're too thick.
If they packaged it in very thin slices I'd buy it, but not until they do.

I never saw a tri tip until I joined Costco a few years ago.

Anyone grill there tri tip? Its seems as tender as London Broil and is marbled more than London broil.
I have never tried it, but I have seen it marinated, grilled, sliced on the bias and served medium to rare. It looked excellent.

RB, grilling is the way to go, IMHO. I've roasted them at high heat in the oven before and they are very good that way, but I prefer the taste of grilled. If you get a chance, you should try one. It's very tender as long as it's not overcooked.

Here's one I grilled back in Feb of this year. :yum:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 251
Beautiful Cheryl ! I wish I still had a charcoal grill like you have. Our gas grill does a better job on them since I started using a smoker foil packet pierced with holes containing some mesquite chips that have been soaked in water. I've also used my stove top smoker for a small one, and then browned it under the broiler. Good eats to be sure.

Thank you for your nice comments, Kay, Dawg, and Taxy. :)

Roadfix, that's a great article, thank you for posting that. I had forgotten that at a true Santa Maria style BBQ, it's as much about the fuel used - the coastal red oak - as it is about the tri-tip. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom