Gonna grill for the first time in 35 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
Since I haven't done it for so long I have to learn how all over again. I got a cheap little Smokey Joe a few days ago. I will do the prep work Sat. after work and the final cooking on the grill on Sunday.

I decided to start with this because it seems easy for a grilling newbie and it looks and sounds mouthwatering. I'll have it with grilled corn on the cob and asparagus or green beans depending on what looks best at the supermarket.
Best-Ever Barbecued Ribs Recipe - Bon Appétit

Awesome! This is definitely doable on the Smokey Joe (finishing the rib part). You'll have to split the rack in half to fit though.... :))
I've done similar rib recipes, from the oven, foiled, and to the charcoal grill.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I do my ribs too Liz, with one exception. I don't want falling off the bone ribs, and 300 degrees for 3 hrs in the oven is just way too hot and long imo. I do mine at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hrs with much better results. You'll notice when he cut the ribs after removing from the grill they just fell apart. Some resistance to the bone is how cooking contest ribs are judged.
Good luck and have fun with your new cooking toy!

Last edited:
Agree with Kay and RF. Lower heat and a little less time in the oven. "Fall off the bone tender" is just an expression, or should be. ;) By the time they're THAT done, they're also dry. Half the fun of ribs is chewing them off the bone. :pig:

Congrats Liz, and welcome to the grilling side of DC! Can't wait to hear how they turn out. :chef:

Only on the grill for 7 - 10 minutes? That doesn't leave much time to drink beer while the ribs are grilling!

Beer. This is another reason why I cut the time in the oven. I give the ribs extra time on the grill and run the toothpick test as I continue to grill, baste, and drink beer.....in no particular order.

Beer. This is another reason why I cut the time in the oven. I give the ribs extra time on the grill and run the toothpick test as I continue to grill, baste, and drink beer.....in no particular order.

Exactly right RF...in my case it's wine drinking time, and good music by old dead people, and my book. ;) "Toothpick test"? That's interesting.
You're gonna love grilling again Liz!! :chef:

Now, if you would have gotten the 18" or larger kettle you can smoke the ribs and forget about the oven.

Geesh, give me a break. I'm just one little person who loves to cook and doesn't eat a lot. I always go for small.

My question is, might I be able to add a few drops of liquid smoke to the rub? I don't think that it would mess any thing up since the ribs will release their own juices while wrapped in foil in the fridge.

My little Smoky Joe and I went through college together, it went along with many camping trips and several boyfriends. Cooked some good stuff on it.

Go light on the liquid smoke. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom