"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Good point! Why do I have such stupid ideas?

O.K., next stupid question---- any other way to clean off the griddle without turning the heat up? (See my sig. if you wonder why I ask so many questions!)
When I have to clean cast iron, I sprinkle it with a lot of salt and heat it on low for while. Then I brush/scrub it with a bamboo whisk (came with a wok). If that doesn't get it clean, I add a little bit of oil, some more salt, and heat it on low some more. You still have to pick up the pan to brush out all the dirty salt.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I have to clean cast iron, I sprinkle it with a lot of salt and heat it on low for while. Then I brush/scrub it with a bamboo whisk (came with a wok). If that doesn't get it clean, I add a little bit of oil, some more salt, and heat it on low some more. You still have to pick up the pan to brush out all the dirty salt.
That's the way I clean my CI skillet/pan. A Lodge CI griddle (not a pan) is heavier than my CI skillet/pan. So back to my question----Are you saying there's no way to clean my Lodge CI griddle on the BBQ without lifting it up?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

That's the way I clean my CI skillet/pan. A Lodge CI griddle (not a pan) is heavier than my CI skillet/pan. So back to my question----Are you saying there's no way to clean my Lodge CI griddle on the BBQ without lifting it up?
I guess it depends on how much dirty salt you're willing to leave in the griddle I think you could wipe out most of it.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Ditto what Salt & Pepper said. Clean it like any other cast iron. I wouldn't bother with a griddle unless it was a sandwich banquet.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I guess it depends on how much dirty salt you're willing to leave in the griddle I think you could wipe out most of it.
I think I could wipe out most of it too---- then at the end use a paper towel moistened with oil to finish it.
Any pathogens that might grow on it should be killed off when I reheat the CI griddle the next time. At least that what the majority of valid sources say: when did experts ever agree!

Cooking on the rungs of my BBQ would have the same pathogens---- which will also get killed off. At least that's what must happen. I think.

Crowd sourcing at it's best! Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

Yes, you can run it with a little salt and oil to "scour away any leftover food particles. Then simply wipe with a damp paper-towel. I've been known to wash cast iron in the river, and scrub with sand. Rinse with the river water, and throw it on the fire to dry it. Used to do that all the time when I was a teen.

Tip, of when you are done cooking, and the grill is still hot, you can get it almost sparkling clean by simply throwing some water on the grill and letting it sit for a moment or two. When you wipe out the water, it will be 99% clean, at least if its seasoned well.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Tip, of when you are done cooking, and the grill is still hot, you can get it almost sparkling clean by simply throwing some water on the grill and letting it sit for a moment or two. When you wipe out the water, it will be 99% clean, at least if its seasoned well.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yes, that DOES help! Thanks a lot----- to everyone.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have used my Lodge ci griddle on the Chargriller charcoal grill. It fits in place of two grill grates like it was made to do so.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
Head Chef

Well, I finally got to test my CI griddle on my propane BBQ. I cooked lamb shoulder chops on the CI grill and they turned out great. Not like grilling them on the BBQ but very good.

The bad news is----- the CI griddle had a 'residue' (not burnt) on it from the chops. I'd put oil on the griddle. A friend was over and was able to take the griddle into the sink and clean it (properly) and re-season it. But I couldn't have done that myself.

So,---- back to the drawing board. Sigh.

Tags
grill