New grill, first babyback ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I like messing with ribs different ways trying to find my ultimate rack. Maybe steamed first then grilled, or parboiled first, maybe searing on the grill then in the oven to finish, or just the opposite, I've also tried smoking them (somewhat) and indirect cooking on my former grill......
Enter the new grill y'all know I picked up a few weeks ago. The Ducane 4 burner. Steaks, potatos, pork chops, hot dogs, country ribs.... they've all been done. Last night it was babyback ribs for the first time.
OMG :chef: I don't know how I could have made any better a rack of ribs. I didn't even take the membrane off the bone side and you couldn't tell the way they came apart. One hour on the grill with the ribs seasoned with kosher salt, cracked pepper, red pepper, garlic powder and onion salt. I had both outer burners lit and the ribs in the middle. The built in temp guage was reading about 350 - 400F. I flipped once during that hour. The last 20-30 minutes I hit them with the sauce and flipped them three times. The sauce was just a mixture of some store bought stuff and spices. I knew they were done that first hour because I stuck my digital thermometer in them and it was reading 170-180 in two places, but I held back until the sauce was applied and baked/grilled in. It was all I could do to not break a few ribs off "to test" ;)

Bad pic (no flash or editing), but I'm tellin' ya.... unbelievable ribs
ribs.jpg

No effort to tear apart, a toothless person could have eaten them (juicy, but not mushy), a taste that will haunt me until I duplicate it again AND a whole rack uncut and cooked by indirect heat thanks to my new large spacious grill (plus a couple baked potatos).
I'm on my second tank already since I got this grill and lovin' it! :) This was truly my ultimate rack of ribs so far. Amazing what a good grill can do.

I couldn't help myself, I had to see what they looked like, so I downloaded the photo and brightened it up - and they look absolutely delicious :)

ribs.jpg

Isn't it fun to have fun with a new toy?!

I'll tell ya.... between the new grill and the kegorator I got a few months ago.... I'm a happy man :LOL:

Thanks for brightening the pic up GG! I didn't realize how dark it was..... Did I mention I have a new kegorator? :wacko:

What pacanis? No pics of the kegorator???

Your ribs look divine. What kind of sauce did you use?

Here's a clear pic ;)
Sanyo BC-1206 Kegerator Keg Beer Cooler Tap | BeverageFactory.com

Thanks
I used some leftover chicken wing sauce that I toned down some. I buy whatever's on sale, so looking on the refrigerator door I'll guess the wing sauce started with Open Pit honey and I automatically add red pepper and hot sauce to my wing sauces ... probably some red wine vinegar in this case, too. When I converted it to the milder, smokier taste I like for ribs I added some hickory flavor Open Pit, a little liquid smoke and a little ground cumin (not much).
One of these days I'll have to make a barbeque sauce from scratch, but it's so much easier to buy the base and doctor it up IMO. I keep it in a tupperware container in the fridge, so if I have wings this week (and I most likely will :)) I'll add the heat to it again. Or maybe mix in some blue cheese salad dressing. That makes a pretty good wing sauce if you can get over the funky color.

I need to start getting brave, I think. I am so nervous at the prospect of putting things together that aren't in a recipe. I use bottled BBQ sauce also but I'm lucky to have a fantastic ribs place here (Rudy's BarBQue) that has wicked good sauce and they will sell you a bottle. But I've never even thought of adding anything to it, even though a few of the kids think this sauce is too hot and would prefer it toned down. Hmmmmm

Love the kegerator! I don't drink beer but I'm thinking the grown kids would visit every weekend if I had one of those!!!

We had dinner with my mom and stepfather recently and he made grilled ribs. He used the Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce, but thinks it's too sweet, so he added red wine vinegar, about a tablespoon at a time to a bowl of maybe a cup, tasting along the way until he got a flavor he liked. I liked it a lot, so I'll be doing that in the future.

"Rudy's barbeque"...... that must be a sign. I'm getting a new puppy this week and for some reason his name has not come to me yet. I was out walking dogs this afternoon (before I read this) and the name "Rudy" popped in my head. Now I see it here..... I'll definitely have to give this name more thought now.

Kraft original. That's another one in my cupboard. Kraft, Open Pit... the grocery store I shop will often have these on sale 10 for 10 bucks. Sure beats one $2.50 bottle of Masterpiece or Bullseye, two of my favorites for ribs with little extra needing done.

"Rudy's barbeque"...... that must be a sign. I'm getting a new puppy this week and for some reason his name has not come to me yet. I was out walking dogs this afternoon (before I read this) and the name "Rudy" popped in my head. Now I see it here..... I'll definitely have to give this name more thought now.

Kraft original. That's another one in my cupboard. Kraft, Open Pit... the grocery store I shop will often have these on sale 10 for 10 bucks. Sure beats one $2.50 bottle of Masterpiece or Bullseye, two of my favorites for ribs with little extra needing done.
Congrats on your new pup! Yep, I think Rudy deserves some serious consideration.

Back
Top Bottom