"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Cook

The Perfect Steak

I just joined, so I wanted to show what TheFanatic can do on the grill. TheFanatic is a Grillin Fool....

So here is a massive bone in ribeye. My celly is there for perspective:

More perspective:

That bad boy is between 24 and 26 glorious ounces.

All I did was add a little coarse salt and fresh cracked black pepper to this bad boy. To some this is all one needs. Normally I marinade my steaks, even filets. The key is using the right kind of marinade for the right kind of cut. But for this one, and for my first demonstration here I went with a simple, almost pure steak.

The cooking process is this, flame sear that bad boy over the coals on one side of the grill. Then pull it to the other side where there are no coals and bake it to the desired doneness. For me that is usually about 3 minutes of baking as I like it no more than medium rare and closer to rare if at all possible. Then let rest for the juices to settle down before slicing open and enjoying all that cholesterol filled goodness.

And when I say sear, I really mean sear. I don't jerk around with searing. I get the coals flaming hot and then I pour on some sort of veggie oil and flame sear my steaks.

For some perspective, this is a pic from another thread but it gives one some idea of how seriously I take flame searing. This is me last summer flame searing some steaks at my folks.

And now to the resting process:

Yes that is a standard size dinner plate. What am I having with my massive steak? A side of more delicious steak!?!? Who needs a side dish when you have this much beef!?!?!

Those of you who are not fans of rare or medium rare steaks usually get to this point and assume that the blood and juice is going to leak all over the plate when I slice it open. I will prove you wrong with what I like to call the money shot:

And a nice closeup of that lovely red flavor bonanza:

Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

That steak looks vaguely familiar..... Steak on the grill

And I know that must be a potent flame extinguisher you are holding in your hand

Very nice Fan.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That steak looks vaguely familiar..... "You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 20 posts and are an established member in good standing." Evidently not only can I not post URL's, but I can't quote posts with URL's!?!?!

And I know that must be a potent flame extinguisher you are holding in your hand

Very nice Fan.
That's what inspired my thread on this.

No fire extinguisher. The oil burns out in about 30-60 seconds. But in the mean time the inner pyro of mine is very happy!?!?!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm just getting started though. I have tons of stuff. My spiral sliced and stuffed pork loin in the smoking forum and this are just the beginning.

I normally talk about smoking/grilling/BBQing/etc on a couple of other boards but the response in the threads is abysmally low right now because it is cold. For me, it's a year round thing. I actually did Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Spedini on the grill on saturday.

Since I wasn't getting much discussion on those boards I went in search of other boards. And I found this one. I love the fact that I can post pics directly in the posts rather than just links.

Let's just say I am grillin fool. I will grill anything from Angus Beef to Zucchini. Stuffed Tomatoes, Onions, Bell Peppers. Fatties. Crostinis. Portabellas and white caps. Shrimps, scallops, clams, muscles, oysters. Burgers and Brats. Meatloaf. Asparagus. Corn on the cob. Ribs. Brisket. Lamb (LOVE LAMB - gonna post that next), whole chickens, whole turkeys, Salmon, Tuna Steaks, and on and on....

And I love experimenting with different rubs, marinades, smoke woods and combinations of the three. And of course the proper beverage to go with all of the above whether beer or wine.

My wife, family, friends, and neighbors all think I'm nuts out there grilling when it is 25 degrees and taking pictures of the meat on the grill. Or when the first snowfall hits and I am out there next to the grill with tongs in one hand and a beer in the other!?!?!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Man that is a great looking steak. If it tasted even half as good as it looks then I am sure you were in steak heaven!

You will find there are plenty of people here who take grilling/smoking/BBQing as seriously as you do. I, for one, have been known to get out my shovel during a blizzard to get to my Weber. The fire from the grill and the beer while you wait are enough to keep you warm
Old 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

""You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 20 posts and are an established member in good standing." "

Just do what the one-time poster do, post the url in your signature
Were you here this morning for the link to a middle aged Victoria's Secret type site? And she very well may be a legitimate newbie. I'm not saying she wasn't.

Anyway, I grill year round, too. I just grilled my first zucc this year though. I really need to experiment with more variety. I'm an LP griller and probably have gone through a dozen bottles this year. My grill "normally" gets fired up half a dozen times a week, even if it's only hot dogs for lunch.

And my neighbors already know I'm nuts, but my buddy to the south likes when I turn the grill on
Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
""You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 20 posts and are an established member in good standing." "

Just do what the one-time poster do, post the url in your signature
Were you here this morning for the link to a middle aged Victoria's Secret type site? And she very well may be a legitimate newbie. I'm not saying she wasn't.

Anyway, I grill year round, too. I just grilled my first zucc this year though. I really need to experiment with more variety. I'm an LP griller and probably have gone through a dozen bottles this year. My grill "normally" gets fired up half a dozen times a week, even if it's only hot dogs for lunch.

And my neighbors already know I'm nuts, but my buddy to the south likes when I turn the grill on
LP griller? What is that?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Man that is a great looking steak. If it tasted even half as good as it looks then I am sure you were in steak heaven!

You will find there are plenty of people here who take grilling/smoking/BBQing as seriously as you do. I, for one, have been known to get out my shovel during a blizzard to get to my Weber. The fire from the grill and the beer while you wait are enough to keep you warm
Amen Brother, Amen!?!?!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Liquid Propane.
I'm a gasser and I admit it.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I try to grill year round as well whenever it warms up just enough.... this year I have a firepit that I was gifted by my neighbor... and a nice Weber courtesy of a lazy propane-using friend so major upgrade over the Walmart special I was using I am excited to get a nice big wood fire going in there on cold winter nights and grill... I love grilling maybe my favorite way to cook

your steak pics were lovely....made me hungry havent had a good steak in awhile... shopping list has been amended.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Liquid Propane.
I'm a gasser and I admit it.
Got it. I am not a fan myself. Never owned one, but I will say this, if you are doing steaks, a gas grill is as good as a charcoal grill. Do the two zone thing. Turn on the burners on one side and leave them off on the other. One side, super high heat. One side none. Same principles apply.