"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Chinese Pork Ribs

For our Dutch Oven Monday meal this week, we converted another slow cooker recipe for dutch oven cooking. This week, we tried Chinese Pork Ribs. These are country style ribs with a sauce made with soy sauce, ketchup, orange marmalade, and other spices. It was very good.

We had 5 lbs. of ribs, and we cooked them at 350 degrees for 3 hours in a 12" dutch. They came out so tender that the meat was falling off of the bone.

This is a nice change from the traditional barbecue ribs.

Chinese Pork Ribs

12” dutch oven

Ingredients

cup soy sauce
1/3 cup orange marmalade
3 tbs. ketchup
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 – 4 pounds bone-in country style pork ribs

Directions

In a bowl, combine soy sauce, marmalade, ketchup and garlic. Pour half into dutch oven. Top with ribs; drizzle with remaining sauce. Cover the 12” dutch oven and cook at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until tender with 8 coals on the bottom and 16 coals on top.

Yield: 6 – 8 servings

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese Pork Ribs1.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese Pork ribs2.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2853  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese Pork Ribs3.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2854  

Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Awesome. That looks incredible. The ribs look browned. Did that happen naturally in the Dutch Oven, or did you brown/sear the meat first?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Garry, those look soooo good! I don't have a dutch oven (yet ) so I was wondering if you could direct me to the slow cooker recipe you converted? And like Keltin, I'm waiting to hear how you got your ribs so brown. (Inquiring minds want to know.)
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Awesome. That looks incredible. The ribs look browned. Did that happen naturally in the Dutch Oven, or did you brown/sear the meat first?
That happened naturally. All we did, as the recipe directed, was to pour in half of the sauce first, then place the ribs into the dutch (I put them on a trivet), and then pour the rest of the sauce on top. No browning or basting required.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom
Garry, those look soooo good! I don't have a dutch oven (yet ) so I was wondering if you could direct me to the slow cooker recipe you converted? And like Keltin, I'm waiting to hear how you got your ribs so brown. (Inquiring minds want to know.)
Mom, the ONLY difference in the slow cooker recipe from the one I posted is that the slow cooker version says to cover and cook for 6 hours or until tender. That's the ONLY difference!

I would wonder if the ribs would get as browned as they did in a slow cooker? There's top heat in the dutch that does that as a result of the sugar in the marmalade and ketchup. But with no top heat, they may not get browned in your slow cooker.

Oh, I must be honest. I cooked 5 pounds of ribs instead of the 3 - 4 the recipe calls for. But I don't think that would have affected the outcome, other than there was more to eat!

We got the recipe from the Taste of Home Slow Cooker Recipes 2007 magazine.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
WHY do people have to post pictures when I'm HUNGRYYYYYYYYYY?????????? Those look incredible! Thanks so much and I see ribs in my future!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I am getting a preseasoned dutch oven this weekend and this will be the first thing I make since it looks so good. I was wondering if you have to do anything special to a preseasoned dutch oven. The description says it is ready to cook. Do I need to wash it first with soap and water? I heard that foods high in acid are not good for a dutch oven. Is this recipe considered acidic or is it safe for a new dutch oven?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Another question. What about the seasoning on the lid where the charcoal will lay. Do you have to do anything special to the top of the lid since charcoal lays on top of it directly?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

If it helps the brand is Camp Chef. My girlfriend is getting it for me as a reward for fixing her car. It is unreal what mechanics charge for something as simple as changing a starter! ;)
Old 08-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Some people might disagree with me, but I've NEVER used any kind of soap when washing my DO's, even when they're brand new. You might want to rinse it, and even though it is pre-seasoned, I'd still wipe it down with a light coat of oil. DO NOT use any metal utensils while cooking with your DO. The metal can scratch the cast iron which will allow rust and removes the seasoning. My preference is to always use wooden utensils. And once you've finished cooking with it, simply wipe it out and season with a light coat of oil. If some of the food is baked on, you can boil a little water in it and scrub with a stiff nylon or cast iron approved brush.

As far as the lid goes, I always oil the the lid inside and out and the outside of the DO everytime. Some people don't, but I think it helps maintain the metal. Otherwise, nothing special is required for the lid.

I honestly haven't heard anything about high acidic foods being a problem for a DO. I've never worried about it and have never experienced any problems.

Camp Chef is good DO. My 10" is a Camp Chef, and I'm planning on buying Camp Chef's 12" deep soon.

I think you're girl friend is smarter than you think. She's giving you the DO as a thank you, but I bet she also realizes that she's going to get a whole lot of good meals out of it!

Have fun with the DO.. Let us know how your meal turns out. I hope this was helpful.