"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have the icons loaded, PF--ROTFLMAO and then roll around on the floor mimicing s/one having a seizure!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #212
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Found one
Dat be the one.. Over the Moon with ya!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #213
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Where's Kades? Who else has a piemaker?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #214
Assistant Cook

Tamale Pie Help Needed

Fiona,

I've been trying to make the tamale pies that you described, but am having a terrible problem with the masa. I'm using the Mescate masa and making the tamale masa according to the directions on the bag. Problem is that there is no way I can get it to work in the pie maker. I make little golf ball size balls, drop them into the pie wells, but when I try to use the "pusher" to squish the balls, all that happens is that the masa sticks all over the "pusher".

How did you manage to spread out the masa into the wells? Did you make your masa extraordinarily dry? I even tried letting the masa set for a day or so (since you said yours was left-over masa), but that didn't help any either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--pam
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #215
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plvannest View Post
Fiona,

I've been trying to make the tamale pies that you described, but am having a terrible problem with the masa. I'm using the Mescate masa and making the tamale masa according to the directions on the bag. Problem is that there is no way I can get it to work in the pie maker. I make little golf ball size balls, drop them into the pie wells, but when I try to use the "pusher" to squish the balls, all that happens is that the masa sticks all over the "pusher".

How did you manage to spread out the masa into the wells? Did you make your masa extraordinarily dry? I even tried letting the masa set for a day or so (since you said yours was left-over masa), but that didn't help any either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--pam
Did you try pushing it down with your fingers? I coat my hands in grapeseed oil when I work with masa or anything sticky, sorry I didn't mention that. I use my hands more than Shrek does. He tends to rely on the pusher, it ends up in the sink when I'm baking pies.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #216
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ham, Broccoli and Cheese Pie Filling

Makes 4 pies

Your favorite shells for the piemaker, tops and bottms

4 slices deli ham, chopped
1 cup steamed broccoli florets, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar
1-2 tablespoons Dijon or Stoneground Mustard

Mix all together, divide into 4 equal piles and put into piemaker. Bake according to directions.

FYI - Bed, Bath and Away has off brand Piemakers for $29.99, wait for your 20% off coupon.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #217
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Princess,

Found this browsing around today. Great recipes
Pie recipes - Recipes - BBC Good Food

They look very adaptable.

Munky.
Great site. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #218
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, that adorable little pie maker is waaay out of my budget. So If I use the disposable small aluminum pie plates, and make up different pie mixes, I can make a bunch of pies to make everyone happy come Christmas. And wutgh the BBC pie site I am going to have a great time in the kitchen come December. I better start eating up what is in the freezer so I can make room for those pies. I was thinking of making turnovers, but those individual pies are just too cute to pass up. I already have the perfect size cutter for the crusts. One of those gadgets I just love and had to have.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #219
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I agree, Addie. The Piemaker is over priced, I was able to get it because of an inheritance. So I've been looking for affordable solutions for others.

I got a Wilton "pie maker" at BB&B for $6, it just cuts out rectangles and forms the pie. I got it for hot pocket type pies. WiltonŽ Rectangular Mini Pie Press - Bed Bath & Beyond

They also have a Babycakes piemaker for $30 that makes 4 pies.

The pie maker has been fun and gotten Shrek involved in the kitchen, which is really nice! Takes some of the pressure off me.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #220
Assistant Cook

Hi,

I found this website when searching for recipes for the Breville personal pie maker. Just got one for my birthday last week, along with the cookbook and the pie lifter. So far, we've only made chicken pot pies, but I like to have lots of ideas to play with. I've read through all 22 pages of this thread, so thanks for all of the great tips and recipes. I've C&P'd a 6 page word document just from this thread.

Was wondering, did the pie maker ever get its own forum?

Tags
None