"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Clafouti Flop

I tried baking my first cherry clafouti today, and it didn't turn out quite the way I would have liked. I guess I thought that a clafouti was more of a cake, but I should have realized that with 6 eggs in it, it would be a bit more custard like. It tasted just fine. I just think it didn't bake long enough. The recipe had it baking for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. It sure looks to me like it could have gone for another 10 minutes. Maybe some of you more experienced bakers can tell by looking at the finished product if that was the problem or if it might be something else. I'm going to use the same recipe again, only I'll be using raspberries and this time I'm baking for 40 minutes. We'll see what happens. I'm also posting the recipe for anyone that's interested.

Cherry Clafouti (skillet)
10 skillet

2 tbs. butter
6 large eggs
1 cups milk
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbs. brandy
1 tbs. vanilla extract
tsp. salt
cup all purpose flour
1 pkg. (12oz.) frozen cherries; thawed
1 pint black cherries; optional
Confectioners sugar

Pre-heat oven to 400F.
Liberally smear skillet with butter.
Put eggs, milk, sugar, brandy, vanilla extract, and salt into a blender and mix until smooth.
Add the flour and mix everything until smooth.
Put cherries into the skillet and pour the batter over them. Do not stir.
Bake for about 30 minutes until the clafouti is puffed and golden.
Sprinkle with confectioners sugar for serving.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clafouti Flop 1.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	18788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clafouti Flop 2.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	18789  

Name:	Clafouti Flop 3.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	18790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clafouti Flop 4.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	18791  

Old 10-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That certainly looks like Clafouti to me. It is more like a custard than cake. Raspberry sounds GOOD!

Old 10-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I thought the title was the name of the actual dish, like Raspberry Fool.....

It might also be a good name for a new dance.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Cook

It may look like clafouti, but it really shouldn't be that runny, should it? I thought it's be quite a bit firmer. We'll see what happens with the raspberry version.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I guess I can't see from the picture that it is runny. Much more cooking and the top will burn. Maybe cover with foil for the first twenty minutes.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Yeah, the picture isn't that good. There was what I felt to be quite a bit of liquid. That's what made me think of runny. I like your idea of covering with foil. I'll try that and see what happens. Thank you! :-)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Senior Cook

The raspberry clafouti turned out great! The extra time was the key, but PrincessFiona's suggestion of covering it with foil for 20 minutes was spot on.

Here's a picture of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Raspberry Clafouti.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	18792  
Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Comparing the two, you can see the first one was baked too hot. The top is much darker and the interior was not cooked through.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That looks good!!! Glad I could help!

Tags
recipe

Clafouti Flop I tried baking my first cherry clafouti today, and it didn't turn out quite the way I would have liked. I guess I thought that a clafouti was more of a cake, but I should have realized that with 6 eggs in it, it would be a bit more custard like. It tasted just fine. I just think it didn't bake long enough. The recipe had it baking for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. It sure looks to me like it could have gone for another 10 minutes. Maybe some of you more experienced bakers can tell by looking at the finished product if that was the problem or if it might be something else. I'm going to use the same recipe again, only I'll be using raspberries and this time I'm baking for 40 minutes. We'll see what happens. I'm also posting the recipe for anyone that's interested. [FONT=Times New Roman]Cherry Clafouti (skillet)[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]10 skillet[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]2 tbs. butter[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]6 large eggs[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 cups milk[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 cup granulated sugar[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]2 tbs. brandy[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 tbs. vanilla extract[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] tsp. salt[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] cup all purpose flour[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 pkg. (12oz.) frozen cherries; thawed[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 pint black cherries; optional[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Confectioners sugar[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Pre-heat oven to 400F.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Liberally smear skillet with butter.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Put eggs, milk, sugar, brandy, vanilla extract, and salt into a blender and mix until smooth.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Add the flour and mix everything until smooth.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Put cherries into the skillet and pour the batter over them. Do not stir.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Bake for about 30 minutes until the clafouti is puffed and golden.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Sprinkle with confectioners sugar for serving.[/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews