"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Favorite pumpkin pie recipes

I want to make a really great pumpkin pie this year and so I am inquiring to find the best recipe(s) out there. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone here tried Cook's Illustrated's pumpkin pie recipes? They seem like quite a bit more work since they call for cooking the filling, etc. etc. and I am wondering if it is really worth it / results in a lot better pie?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Master Chef

The recipe on the back of the Libby's pumpkin pie can suits me to a T. But I'm a simple gal! I'm sure there will be some really good recipes popping up here.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just posted a thread about our favorite pumpkin pie recipe. Look here to see it.

We love it. I'll eat any kind of pumpkin pie. I also have a praline one that's good, but that's another thread.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Ok Yall Panco don't bake but I decided I want to make Pumkin Pie this year.... I have never made it before... Katie your recipe looks great but I do want to bake it....

I will use canned pumpkin and pre-made crusts.... so take those out of the variables..

The can recipe looks fine but I was wondering if anyone had some tips of small substitutions to make it come extra tasty... I was thinking of using fresh ginger instead of powder... also it calls for evaporated milk.... is there some sort of fresh cream I can use instead?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I made Libby's pumpkin pie a couple of weeks ago and used crystallized ginger instead of the powder. It was very good. I would be afraid that fresh ginger would have too sharp a taste for a dessert, but maybe not. Anyway, I've always used the Libby's recipe and we really like it
Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
I have made this pie & will be making it this year. I like it because the pumpkin is not so intense, I really dont care for pumpkin
Keebler® Ready Crust® Recipe Detail - Double Layer Pumpkin Pie

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We're going to try Katie Marshmallw pumpkin pie this year. It looks good and fluffy. I don't make crust though so I'm going to use a premade grahm cracker one.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
We're going to try Katie Marshmallw pumpkin pie this year. It looks good and fluffy. I don't make crust though so I'm going to use a premade grahm cracker one.

Hope you like it, Trish. I've never used a graham cracker crust. Sounds yummy. I've already made mine, so I'll have to try that another time.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Head Chef

My favorite is Nick Malgieri's recipe. Even people who hate pumpkin pie like it.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Well I went ahead and made the can recipe... I decided on TG Pumpkin Pie should taste like you expect it to.... I sort of felt like I was cheating though its too easy and everything is canned.... The whole thing took 15 min It came out way better than a supermarket PP (I made a little tester pie with the extras). I could probably have put more sugar and I overfilled the crust a bit but all and all I am pleased. Maybe next time I will be more ambitious

Tags
None