"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Master Chef

Exclamation I'll make you a deal! Apple Pie help

After searching, and posting question and not getting anywhere I've decided to make you a deal. I'll trade not one, but 2 (yes 2) Russian recipes for an apple pie, for 1 (yes only 1) American one. I need pie crust recipe more then anything. Fillings is not a problem.
one thing, it must be NON-dairy recipe, please.

As the good will gesture I am posting 1 of my Russian recipes now.

1 cup sugar
3 Large eggs
1 cup flour
3-4 apples, I use grany smith, thinly sliced.

Beat the eggs and the sugar until white, I use hand mixer. Add flour mix until smooth. Poor half of the mixture into pan (spray with some kind of oil spray)
spread apples, poor the rest of flour mixture over it. You caan sprinkle with some brown sugar, cinnamon, vanila, or whatever you might like, I do not do anything. Bake at 300 deg for 1 hour. Enjoy.

I'll post the second one as soon as I get one from you.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

For a double crust:

2 cups AP flour
1 t. salt
2/3 cup shortning..(Crisco etc.)
2 or 3 T. icewater...emphasis ICEwater

Cut shortning into flour and salt...until you achieve a "coarse cornmeal" texture. Gradually add water until wet enough to form a ball.
Divide dough...roll out on floured surface..then follow your recipe for apple pie!

Hope this helps!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

Somebody Amrican, post quickly ;) :) I want to see the second recipe! (Grazie for this one Charlie!)

Edited to add, Uncle Bob and I cross posted, I am not accusing him of being unAmerican, lol!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

lulu.....

Uncle Bob "American" by birth....."Southern" by the grace of God

Old 01-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Cook

Bonnie's Pie Dough

2 cups plus 1 TBSP Crisco
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
5 cups flour
Mix and add:
3/4 cup ice water

This is a good recipe. Bonnie used to sell pies in town, and this was her crust recipe.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Master Chef

Uncle Bob, where did you get my grandma's pie crust recipe?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Well Connie...

Since Candocook and Kitchenchef "raided" my kitchen to get my "Texas Caviar"(check out that thread and actually it is Mississippi Caviar) recipe....I got to thinking Since I possess Ninja skills...it was really quite easy. While you slept a few evenings back..I simply slipped into a side window..made my way to your recipes...and made my escape! Pre-baked for a few moments.. it makes a perfect crust for My World Famous puh-con pie

Old 01-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Everymom

Charlie, my recipe is similar to Uncle Bob's. No salt in mine though and I use more water.

2/3 cup lard (Tenderflake is what I use) NOT shortening
2 cups flour
4-5 tbsps cold water

Put lard and flour in bowl. Use pastry blender or two knives to cut lard into pea sized pieces. Add water one tbsp at a time and only add enough to get the dough to stick together. Work the dough with your hands, but as little as possible. Split dough roughly in half and roll out each piece separately. Bottom and top.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Master Chef

Ok, looks you kept your part of the bargin. I can't promisse to post second recipe today,it's at home. But I will bring to work tomorow, so i can translate into English and post here.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

CharlieD

I was beginning to think we all had been "snookered".
Glad to see you showed up and will live up to your part of the bargin!
Please don't dissapoint us... as in one small circle that I move in.. I am known as "Paladin"

Tags
apple pie, pastry, pie crust, recipe, russian

I'll make you a deal! Apple Pie help After searching, and posting question and not getting anywhere :sad: I've decided to make you a deal. :smile: I'll trade not one, but 2 (yes 2) Russian recipes for an apple pie, for 1 (yes only 1) American one. I need pie crust recipe more then anything. Fillings is not a problem. one thing, it must be NON-dairy recipe, please. As the good will gesture I am posting 1 of my Russian recipes now. 1 cup sugar 3 Large eggs 1 cup flour 3-4 apples, I use grany smith, thinly sliced. Beat the eggs and the sugar until white, I use hand mixer. Add flour mix until smooth. Poor half of the mixture into pan (spray with some kind of oil spray) spread apples, poor the rest of flour mixture over it. You caan sprinkle with some brown sugar, cinnamon, vanila, or whatever you might like, I do not do anything. Bake at 300 deg for 1 hour. Enjoy. I'll post the second one as soon as I get one from you.:wink: 3 stars 1 reviews