Mango Pie Filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chausiubao

Senior Cook
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this? I was thinking of making a pie or a cobbler with mangoes, but i wasn't sure how i should go about making the filling. The few times that i'd done this i'd simply used a slurry to thicken some sugar and water and mangoes, and that didn't look quite right in the end...

Any ideas?

I would assume two ways to make this pie.

One would be similar to how you make a peach pie. Get mangoes that are ripe yet firm. Slice them.

Place a prepackaged or home made pie crust in a pie dish. Then brush the entire surface of the pie crust with a beaten egg white.

Next place the sliced mangoes in a layer. Sprinkle sugar and flour or cornstarch. Repeat with more mangoes, dot with butter and bake. You can even top it with another pie crust and make appropriate slits.

Another way that I have had it a while back is like a custard based pie.

Puree the mangoes (check sugar or add a little if you need to)
Eggs (3 or 4)
1 can of evaporated milk
Beat it all together and pour in a pie crust and bake until set

Chill and allow to set. Serve with a topping made with freshly chopped mangoes folded with some whipped cream.

I don't have exact measures because these are just my ideas so if you are daring experiment, I don't see how you can ruin it.

i love experimentation! thats what i live for! So yes. I'll try these ideas, i think i'll skip the custard for later.

Oh yea...i saw this in a few pie recipes in the past yet i didn't know what it meant. What does it mean to dot butter on the mangoes? Place a dollop of butter on the mangoes in a spread out fashion perhaps?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom