"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I've Apple Fried Pies Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
User Rating:

2 tablespoons butter
4 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 (8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough

For the filling: Add the butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.

When the filling is cool, roll the biscuits out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on 1/2 of each circle. Brush the edges of the circle with water. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shapes. Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a fork. Heat a deep fryer or a deep pot halfway filled with oil to 350 degrees F. Carefully add the pies to the oil, 1 at a time, and fry until golden brown, turning the pies as necessary for even browning, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.

I've had good luck with this..most "pie" fillings can be used...

Good luck...Expat..

Old 08-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I use a recipe that I saw Paula Deen do on one of her shows. She took canned biscuits, rolled them out, added jam's, folded the biscuit over, sealed with a fork and droped in a fryer.

I think they are quick and easy, tasty too.

Later

Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Basically - around here at least - a fried pie is just pie dough rolled out and cut in about a 6" circle, a cooked pie filling placed on 1/2, folded over and crimped - and then deep fried.
I think Michael described it correctly. So, I can just use a regular pie crust recipe and fill with a little of my favorite pie filling, then fry? (My arteries are closing up as I type! )
Old 08-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

That's all that I remember my grandmother ever doing. They were the best I ever ate ... although there was a little hole-in-the-wall BBQ restaurant that made them that way, and they were a close 2nd to Nanny's. Nice thing about these is that you can make a big batch and freeze them to fry up later. That's what Pat's wife did at the restaurant.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Great idea about freezing them!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
TexCin, the way Michael described them is how my grandma always made her's too. You can however bake them if you want to cut down on the fat some. My mom would brush the top of the pies with melted butter before baking them to help them brown a get crispier.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
TexCin, the way Michael described them is how my grandma always made her's too. You can however bake them if you want to cut down on the fat some. My mom would brush the top of the pies with melted butter before baking them to help them brown a get crispier.
Do you know what to set the oven on? 350 maybe? That would help a lot. I'll try both ways. I want them crispier!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Yes, 350 & just bake them until the crust is golden brown. Not sure how long though, sorry. I think I may make some tonight. I have some peaches in the freezer & it would be the perfect ending to the week & beginning for the weekend.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Very Fattening,BUT Oh So Good.
Here's what I ended up making. They are wonderful. I've got some freezing too! DH and I tried the fried and the baked. We both agreed that the baked was better! This dough stays pretty crisp. In fact let them cool a bit after baking. They are still crisp! Enjoy!

Dough For Fried pies

3 cups flour ( I used 2 cups white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour)
2 cups shortening
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
your favorite pie filling I made apple filling. Recipe follows.

Mix and place in refrigerator till ready to use.

When ready to use,Roll out pie dough,Use a small bowl to cut out about a 6" circle.

put 2 or more Tbs. of filling in the circle. Dampen edge of half the very edge of the dough. Fold the dough over and press edges together. Use a fork to make design around the edge.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or till browned. If baking, brush with butter and bake for 25-30 minutes until browned.

Take out. Slightly cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

Apple Filling

2 tablespoons butter
4 Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into cubes
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice

For the filling: Add the butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #20
Head Chef

I make apple pies using a flour tortilla.

Warm tortilla. Add desired amount of apple pie filling. Fold each end inward and roll like a burrito. Insert a wooden toothpick to hold closed then drop into hot oil in deep fryer and cook until golden. Mmmmmmmmmm Gool!

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None