What would you call this dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I don't know what to call this desert I made yesterday. I started with a package of frozen phylo dough. I removed several sheets of the dough and placed them flat in a 9 by 15 inch cake pan. I spooned 1 can of cherry pie filling evenly over the dough, taking care not to tear or bunch the delicate phylo. I placed another 5 or 6 sheets of dough and covered with a pear pie filling I made myself. Follow with another several sheets of dough and cover with more pear pie filling, mixed with raspberry pie filling. Top with more dough, spread with melted butter, sugar, and cinamon. Finally, top with remaining sheets of dough and brush with egg-wash. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake in 425 degree oven for thirty minutes.

I don't know what it's called, but topped with whipped cream, it sure did taste great. Made if for a steak and rice/w/crab and mushroom dinner for my sister's birthday.

I know, it's not a birthday cake, but she loved it, even took 2/3rds of it home for later.:mrgreen:

Anybody have a genuine name for this type of desert?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Allright then. Unless someone comes up with a better name, Goodweed's Napolean it is, or maybe I should just call it G.W. Napolean.:mrgreen:

Sounds good. I would call it Strudel-like.

A Napolean, is custard filled and baklova has nuts and honey - as I recall.

Last edited:
Ironchef, your professional background shows through. But I'm not sure I could pronounce that (phonetically - mini fweel). That said, I know that the people in my neck of the woods wood think me an absolute snob, or at least, someone who's too big for their britches, should I present something with that name at one of our pot lucks at work. Around here, people have difficulties pronoucing lasagna, or quesadilla, or tortilla. Many pronounce an Americanized Mexican cheese dip (queso dip) con kwayso (phonetic pronunciation again), not understanding that the "qu" makes a hard "k" sound, and that con means with.

Yup, we're just simple yoopers up here, putineer Canadians. We play eucher and eat venison jerkey all day, when we're not fishin' through a hole in the ice.:mrgreen:

Forget the name, just send me the leftovers, it sounds great. BTW I hate traditonal birthday cake.

P.S. in my previous life my ex made this soup once, so I asked her what it is called, she said soup. We got into huge stupid argument. The soup was great, name didn’t matter, I was a fool to bother with asking. I wouldn’t do same mistake again.

Last edited:
I ate something similar to this made with "pie type" dough and only one layer. We called it "Fruit sheet cake", but I guess its not really a cake though?

Goodweed, phonetically that would be Meeya Foy. It's not pronounced like it looks.... kinda like Pouilly Fuisse..... which would be Poo-ee-yee Fwee say. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

whatever you call it, I'd call it delicious. sounds FAB! :)

ChefJune said:
Goodweed, phonetically that would be Meeya Foy. It's not pronounced like it looks.... kinda like Pouilly Fuisse..... which would be Poo-ee-yee Fwee say. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: ChefJune. Like Cristal - Crist - al:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom