"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I've sent myself an email flagged 'high priority'...
3 tablespoons in a micro safe dish in the Bento and almost instant dessert. I think for lunch I will cut it in half.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #52
Master Chef

I wonder if you could use this to make a personal pineapple upside down cake?

I am thinking a teaspoon of brown sugar, a teaspoon of butter and a pineapple ring in the bottom of the cup then the 3-2-1 mixture on top.

I may have to put cake mix on the shopping list!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #53
Head Chef

Another great idea! Now I'm kind of sorry that I mixed the angel food with a chocolate cake mix. I think next time I'll do a white cake so I have more versatility with add ins.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #54
Head Chef

Let's see. I used Betty Crocker Supermoist Butter Pecan and store brand angel food. Comes out nicely light and not too sweet. Rises to three times the amount of rather wet mix and water combination.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Pity that we can't share cake mixes. I'd hate to be beholden to just one kind for a long time.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh Great! Now I have to go all the way back to page one and read the recipe. I skipped it because it seemed too long. I will have to mark this one for future reference so I can come back to all the different ideas.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #57
Head Chef

Ohemgee, it works!

Texture with 1 minute is light and airy, more like angel food. I think I'll experiment with an eyedrop or two of oil/butter... I used Betty Crocker. 16oz fat free white angel food mix, and 15.25oz 'super moist' basic yellow butter cake mix. It was okay straight, pretty good with lemon juice. If anyone tries this with either a brownie mix, a dense pound cake mix, maybe even a muffin mix, I'd be interested in a report...

Thanks DC. I've scratched off two of my 2012 Resolutions: to learn how to bake, and to lose some weight.

I know politics is discouraged in these forum discussions, but I'd like to stump Kayelle as a write-in candidate for your state's upcoming GOP Primaries/Caucuses.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Okay...if you add lime juice to the lemon cake mix...the cake tastes like 7-Up...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #59
Executive Chef

What would happen if you substituted 7-up for the liquid in the cake mix?

(would it taste like lime juice?)

No, seriously, I'd like an answer. What happens when you use carbonated beverages in cake mixes?

We all know what happens when you pop the top on a beer and shove it up the ... um ... posterior cavity ... of a chicken, then set that on your barbecue. Really, it works good.And you don't need an expensive cooking tool to keep the chicken standing.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't keep sodas on hand, I do keep Lime juice. I'm not sure what the reaction of the baking powder in the mix would do with the carbonation of the soda. Let me check, I have some carbonated waters...

Tags
cake, recipe

3, 2, 1 Cake 3, 2, 1 CAKE I got this in an email, so thought I'd share. These individual little cakes are amazing and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat and calories that cake can have. Genius idea! INGREDIENTS: 1 box Angel Food Cake Mix 1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor Makes 1 serving. (Keep reading) DIRECTIONS: In a ziploc bag, combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have your own instant individual little cake! KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit, or ice cream sauce, or.... Helpful Tips: This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need to remember is "3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, 1 minute in the microwave!" TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, brownie mix, pineapple, lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice. The flavor possibilities are endless! NOTES: The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple, put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry. Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be Angel Food. The other can be any flavor. The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites in it. 3 stars 1 reviews