Blueberry Upside down cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I had 4 pints of blueberries in the fridge so decided to make a cake.

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
In a 9 x 13 greased cake pan , spread out 2-3 cups blueberries, sprinkle with 2 cups brown sugar. I used yellow cake mix , but you can use lemon cake mix. I added orange zest granules to cake mix. Mix cake mix according to directions on the box and then pour over the berries.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until done.
While the cake is hot, place a tray or large dish over the cake pan, and turn it over.
Let it cool before serving.

mmmm MMMMM! I REALLY love your idea of using a lemon cake mix with this!

Copying and saving for next weekend!

Thanks, Lady!

Lee

why is it an upside down cake? why do you have to flip it?

Flipping the cake is what makes it an upside down cake. The fruit or berries goes into the baking pan first so that when the cake is done and you flip it onto a plate, the fruit is on the top. Never thought of doing this with blueberries but why not? This can only be delicious!! Since blueberries are about to come into season here in Michigan I think I'll give it a shot for my card club.

MostlyWater, the idea of an upside down cake is to DELIBERATELY put the fruit on the bottom of the pan, before you pour in the batter. So when it's cooked, and you flip it upside down, it presents with the fruit now on top.

If you didn't flip it, if you left it in the pan to cut it, all you would see is the top of a yellow cake. True, the fruit would be on the bottom. Then you call it a Blueberry Surprise Cake. LOL!

Here's a pic of a blueberry upside down cake. http://chowtimes.com/photos/2007/02/IMG_1514_edited-1.jpg Pretty, isn't it?

Lee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom